F202 Messerschmitt Bf 110G ***FINISHED***

PeterB

The evening sun makes this a bit of a mess but you will get the point.

DSC01650-crop

The drop tanks and wheels are on, together with the crosses. I have painted the canopy, which was fun, and have a bit of touching up to do on the spinners but it is approaching the finishing line. It is supposed to be raining Wednesday so with any luck it should move on a bit further. Besides the 2 pairs of rocket launchers, I will have to add a D/F loop and aerial underneath together with the aileron balance weights, and make and fit a pitot tube. Then it is just fitting the rear guns and canopy before masking and spraying.

More anon.

• Like 6

Hi Pete,

Playing catch-up as usual (I should be Sea Furying, but I've been cutting grass and gardening all day and I'm done-in). So much to do, so many threads to read, so may kits - so little time!

I like your early posts about Luftwaffe colours and the various paints available. I followed a similar path with paints; Humbrol, Humbrol Authentics, Xtracolor, Acrylic - but I never really adapted to acrylic, couldn't cope with the gummed up airbrush and all that gloss then matt to stick on the transfers. Funny, thinking back, the first paint I ever used on a model (probably aged 10) was poster paint! What a mess, but it was all I had and better than nothing on those quick Saturday morning kit bashes.

Anyway, great build. And a nice FROG kit.

Cheers,

Edited by Johnson
keep changing stuff
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for that. Although I have been modelling a long time, I have never been in a club and this is my first real contact with other modellers, so I was hoping to find out what sort of paints and techniques  they used, to see if I could pick up any tips. Unfortunately the response to my comments has been somewhat muted - I probably waffled on too much as usual.. I think only you and Jean have given me any direct feedback though others have mentioned the subject in their own builds. I was a late comer to acrylics and like everything there are good and bad points. You need to use a good thinner in your airbrush - I use Mr Color leveling thinner and it works pretty well, though you have to avoid spraying when it is too hot or it dries virtually on contact. It does save a lot of time compared with enamels and I can get 3 colours on in a day whereas enamel would probably take a day for each colour. My first kits were painted with tubes of oil paint or even Indian Ink, and my Dakota had a household gloss white top - how things have changed.

Good luck with the Fury.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

When acting as a Pulkzerstorer (bomber destroyer) the 110G often had extra armament added. Normally this would be either a pack of extra guns under the fuselage or a pair of Wfr.Gr. 21 rocket tubes under each wing but in a few cases both were fitted.

The Wfr.GR 21 was derived from an infantry artillery rocket and was not very accurate. They also suffered from a rapid drop in trajectory due to drag and gravity so were mounted angled upwards. Opinions vary as to the purpose of the rockets. Some say they really were meant to hit the bombers but as the projectiles were not fitted with a proximity fuse the chance of that seems small, though the result  would be devastating.  Others say the idea seems to have been to lob them from outside the range of the bomber's guns, not so much to actually hit a bomber, but having a timer type fuse (I believe) they would burst inside the formation causing it to break up and leaving it vulnerable to attack, usually by the single engined fighters. 

DSC01654-crop

They would be easy enough to make out of plastic rod and tube but I have scrounged two pairs from Airfix Bf 109G kits and will modify the mounting struts which are purely cosmetic as Airfix intended them to glue into a slot in the wing. I have a vague recollection that they were nicknamed “Dodel” which if true is itself a nickname for a certain part of the male anatomy – guess which!

Getting them to stay on the wing could be fiddly but I will find out in a couple of days perhaps.

• Like 3

This brings back more memories Pete, I managed to cover most of the underside of my Airfix Bf 109 G with glue trying to fix them on and get the rockets in the tubes! I had little patience back then.

Best of luck!

• Haha 1

I was going to use the tubes from my ancient 1960's issue G, but then I remembered I had a couple of more recent mouldings in my stash - similar but a bit "beefier". Not sure if it is the same mould upgraded or a new tool. The tubes are not bad but the alternative underwing cannon are still a bit unconvincing.

• Like 1

It's a mucky old day so I have had to fudge the exposure, as a result of which the colours are not true. However you should get the idea.

DSC01660-crop

Barring a bit of touching up the undersides are done. I have added the wheel doors, balance weights, pitot tube, aerial, a crude D/F loop and the rocket tubes. The support struts are on the thick side and not in quite the right place but they will do.

The props and canopy are ready to go on, so by Saturday I should be ready to spray on a couple of coats of flat varnish.

Nearly there!

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

Great progress on this one Pete. You're kicking plenty of goals with this one and I can see a great GB finish coming up from you. Aren't you glad you joined in on all this mayhem? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Great progress on this one Pete. You're kicking plenty of goals with this one and I can see a great GB finish coming up from you. Aren't you glad you joined in on all this mayhem? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Most of the time Dave, though there are times I think I need my head examining. At least I have the excuse that I am probably old enough to be going senile.

• Haha 1

Almost done!

DSC01664-crop

Just the aerial to add to the top of the canopy, the nav lights to paint and the wheel centres to gloss and it can go in the gallery. I have 2 pics of this plane, one in an Osprey book, and one in a SS Aircraft in Action one. The Osprey book shows the spinner colours as I have modelled, and the SS one shows them reversed! The blades and rear band look black but I have gone for RLM71 as was the "official" scheme. The Frog version of the MG81Z twin guns at the rear of the canopy are adequate but I had intended to replace them with the rather nice Eduard version. However the barrels were bent and when I tried to straighten them one broke off.

At the start of this GB I had intended to do just 2 kits of which this was the last. Now I am doing 6, but at least 3 are finished with around 1.5 months to go. I will take a day off then make a start on the USN Bearcat.

Thatnks for your interest - it has taken quite a bit longer than I initially expected, but that is not the fault of the kit - it makes up quite well I think.

• Like 7

• PeterB changed the title to F202 Messerschmitt Bf 110G ***FINISHED***

Well done Peter getting this over the line. I'm still waiting for the gun to turn up. Post in this country has gotten so slow.

You have made a very good job of this one. I thought I had another one I could do, but the Encore kit turned out to be old

Heller moulds.

• Thanks 1

That’s a great finish Pete. You have certainly put in a big effort for this GB and still continue to do so. Congratulations on another great completion which has scrubbed up very well indeed. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1