F172 Avro Shackleton MR3 in the "De Luxe Aircraft" range.

PeterB

The trouble with the preserved planes is that you seldom if ever get a view of the upper surfaces. That is particularly problematic with this kit as there are numerous hatches and aerials and the fit of the latter changed with each upgrade. I have a fair idea but it will still invvolve guesswork. Revell seem to have had the same problem with their new kit!

Edited by PeterB

My trick with the decals for the tip markings has worked reasonably well.

DSC01695

This is one of the 2 sets of props with the tip marking decs on. Not bad though will still have to do a little touching up but now I have the decs to guide me - should be easier than painting from scratch. Incidentally the black object to the right is one of the kittens deciding to investigate. They get everywhere! I have also finished the engine fronts with a little thinned black paint on the grilles. The props should be ready to go on by the end of the week unless I get enough fair weather to do a bit of "bricklaying" - the forecasts are a bit mixed so we shall see.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 9

That’s looking so good now Pete. Your prop tips have come out really good and I’ll (possibly) resort to using the decals supplied in the Airfix kit to apply to the prop blades on the new Revell MR.3. Just need to finish off the Canberra, wait for the mailman to deliver the Shack and I just might sink my boots into this lovely subject. Thanks for the inspiration. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

My pleasure Dave.

Like my Lincoln coversion and the resin Manchester it is one of the kits in my stash that I always intended to build but never got round to so this GB has provided the incentive. Now I feel more confident that I can  perhaps get on with some of the larger kits after all, instead of just picking away at the smaller ones.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 3

Beginning to wonder why I did not just do the SAAF phase 2 version - I have the decs and the prop tips were just yellow!

Edited by PeterB
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Beginning to wonder why I did not just do the SAAF phase 2 version - I have the decs and the prop tips were just yellow!

Isn’t it because your saving it for your next Shackleton build Pete? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Nice try Dave, but as I said before I have plenty of big kits to be going on with and one Shack is quite enough for now! I suppose a "modern" kit with most of the detailing work already there would be quicker, but I just don't have the time in spite of being retired. However, if the Bearcat continues at its current pace and likewise the Hornet, I might just get one or two more into this GB - but no promises. I have dug out my Macchi 202 and Do 17Z just in case, and although they are already on the build list they would be in different colour schemes, so pehaps it might happen, wife and wall permitting.

Cheers

Pete

PS when next you get out the red ink, the BF110G is in the gallery.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PeterB said:

and the prop tips were just yellow!

And forgo the pleasure and satisfaction of creating all those excellent prop tips!? :whistle:

Edited by Johnson
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

That's why I have every intention if doing the SAAF option. :) That is looking really  good Peter.  👍

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Just a quick update - I have started putting decs on the fuselage.

DSC01719-crop

Except for the fin flashes on the inner vertical surfaces these are DIY ones. I have more than once elsewhere in this GB how I deal with coloured images using white decal paper due to the poor ink density of my printer so I won't bore you by repeating myself. The "D" on the nose clearly shows how I print it on a background close to the paint on the kit, and on Friday I will go round and touch them up - since taking this pic I have carefully cut off the overlap with the black anti-glare panel. There are a couple more pairs of yellow "Rescue" arrows to go on the top, one for the forward escape hatch and one for the hatch at the rear of the canopy which I will leave until the glazing is on and painted. I may get the Print Scale decs on tomorrow as well. I have also touched up most of the prop tips so by the weekend I will be starting to paint the blades and spinners - in  between finishing off the wall in my garden if the weather forecast is correct for once. At this rate the fuselage and the wall might be finished at about the same time.

Thanks for your continued interest - we are getting close now.

• Like 6

Hi Pete,

Ah ha! I read this after commenting on your Bearcat post. Great going on the Shack as well as the F8! But it also reminds that the time I'll be experimenting with home made decals is getting closer :unsure:.

I think when it's all done and dusted, we may need a small pic...  of the wall!

All the best,

• Like 3

Hi Charlie,

It is only a small wall but like an iceberg, most of the work went into the foundations underneath - I will certainly post a pic - possibly with one of the planes on it! Back when I used enamel paints (as I will be doing on the Folgore) ir was a good idea to work on 2 kits at once - that way you had something to do whilst the paint on one dried, and vice versa. Not quite the same these days when a lot of my paints are acrylic, but a little more efficient (perhaps). If you get stuck with the decs let me know and I can perhaps print them for you - I will just need to know the size. Don't leave it too late as we only have a month and  it will take a few days for them to arrive in the post.

Cheers

Pete

Pete.

• Like 4

Thanks Pete, you’re quite right, I’ll see if I can do some decal experiments in the next week. And thanks for the offer of help, if it all goes wrong I may need it!

I see what you mean about doing two kits at the same time, but I get so focused on a kit (obsessed, carried away) that I can only manage one at a time.

good luck with the rest of the Shack, really looking forward to seeing the results perched on the wall! 

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi Charlie,

I suppose the decs you need to print will be the same size as the incorrect ones on the dec sheet, so it should be fairly easy to scale them - I usual make twice as many as needed for safety and perhaps also in a couple of very slightly different sizes so if one looks too big say, you have a smaller one to fall back on. You will see what I mean when you start to experiment.

Pete

• Like 1

Another batch of decs on the fuselage today and I should be able to post a pic Monday with the rest on. I have also nearly finished the ruddy props so perhaps I wll show you them as well. If you exclude ones like my Hasegawa A10, which stopped part way through for almost 10 years, this has got to be the longest it has taken me to build a kit in 60 or more years of modelling,. though I do have the excuse that I have been doing at least one other kit at the same time, sometimes two.

Thanks for your continuing interest. I will try not to keep you waiting much longer.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Right, all the decs are now on except the two forward rescue arrows I mentioned previously and the red line on the nose which was presumably a propellor warning.

DSC01756-crop

The light patch on the nose is sunlight not the paint. I have also just about finished the props.

DSC01757-crop

Funnily enough, whilst I was painting them I forgot they were "contra props" but it becomes rather obvious when they are put together. A little touching up still to do but you will get the idea. Once I have finished them off I will add the engine fronts to the wings and do any filling and repainting required. The next job will be the rod aerials under the wings, of which more next time, and painting and fitting the rest of the glazing - fun! That should just leave the nosewheels and doors, the other various aerials and the Viper doors. Whether or not my decal technique was worth it I don't really know. It certainly made the painting a lot easier but took a long time. Oh well - they will be ready just in time to go on.

Better go and prime the Folgore so see you later and thanks for watching.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 11

How you got those decals to conform to that surface I’ll never know Pete! This is looking the goods with every post and I’m sure I’m not the only one who just wants to see it all come together as one final piece. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

Actually they went on pretty well with MicroSol - the gentle sanding clearly helped. I will try and get the props finished and on today but first I have to drill and mount 6 underwing aerials - whatever they were for. Not difficult hopefully. Should have the Bearcat out of the way by the end of the day if the kittens let me do some spraying.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Except for the Viper intake doors and what I presume are pitot tubes the wings are now finished.

DSC01784

You will note the 3 rod aerials near the wingtip. References show these but good views are very few and far between, even on walkrounds. However I did find this pic.

shackaerial-crop

Clearly they are staggered, not in a line as in the instructions for the new Revell kit, but I do not know exactly which modification stage this plane is at - clearly it does not have Vipers fitted! As mentioned earlier the equipment on the Shack went through several updates, and may even have differed slightly from plane to plane so the aerial fit on mine will be subject to a bit of guess work. In this case Revell show it as an option, though they don't seem to make it clear which of the 2 versions of the kit (Phase 2 and Phase 3) it applies to, or maybe I am reading it wrong. Whatever, I have decided to go with their in a line version. In the pic above they look white, but I have seen illustrations where they look yellow. Revell say "beige" so I have gone with radome cream.

Because of the size of this model I am going to have to spray the finishing satin coat on the wings and fuselage before I glue them together - not ideal but I have little choice - I doubt my wife would appreciate me spraying it in the kitchen under the extractor fan! Of course if she goes out for long enough who knows.

So now I will get on with the fuselage. Hopefully I should have the wings on sometime next week, but they will need 2 or 3 days to set and fill. However I doubt I will get much done today as my wife has announced that she intends to clean out the workbench end of my study today - in fairness it does need it as is a tip and I keep losing things.

'Bye for now.

PS. I thought I had posted this 6 hours ago but for some reason it did not go - we have finished the clean-up but I still have a lot to put back. No sign of the missing Shack nosewheel but we did find a wheel door off the Airfix Dinah I built 8 months ago - made my own out of card as the kit ones were rather thick.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

I have managed to trace the aircraft in the picture and realised that it was not an MR3 as it had no tip tanks - shows how observant I am these days. It was actually a T2 and was initially used as a test aircraft for various equipment such as the Autolycus system intended to "smell" the exhaust from diesel subs - it actually worked after a fashion but mostly just smelled fishing boats. It became "Z" in 1968 when it returned to the training groups. Under the circumstances the aerials may not be in a standard layout for an MR3 Phase 3 so probably as well I decided to ignore it.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4