F172 Avro Shackleton MR3 in the "De Luxe Aircraft" range.

PeterB

Have to agree with you on decal sheets and ‘perceived’ accuracy. It’s not the first time I’ve been caught out with incorrect size roundels, codes or wrong front lettering. A little more research and less guess work would be helpful, especially when you consider the price of some of these sheets these days. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

It's not just decals apparently. For example there are several posts on this and other forums regarding preserved Spitfires. It would seem that the Mk1a in the IWM had later MkV style exhausts and canopy fitted during its service life and that is how it is preserved., and that other mid war models such as the MkIX had late war/post war style larger wheels and tyres fitted, resulting in the bulge on top of the wing over the wheel well being enlarged, or in some cases a bulge created where there was none. Most model manufacturers seem to have missed this and their kits are quite often in the "preserved configuration" rather than the actual "in service at the time" version. Way back at the start of this GB you made a comment about not bothering too much about accuracy - too ruddy true mate. My Shack will be a "representation" of how I think it might have looked, and I make no claims for total accuracy.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 4

16 hours ago, PeterB said:

In the past I used Humbrol Clearfix for fitting canopies

Fitting canopies and finding an adhesive that won’t affect either the paint or the canopy is always a bit of a problem Pete. 

In the past I’ve used very small amounts of Araldite applied with a cocktail stick but although it doesn’t harm the canopy/paint it can be messy. Recently I’ve been using PVA (white wood glue would probably work fine) which being water based can be applied with a small paint brush and can be wiped off very easily with a small piece of damp kitchen towel if it gets in the wrong place. It dries clear.

Good luck with the transfers, look forward to seeing the results.

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, as promised here is the top of the wing with decals on.

DSC01657

Of course, as is so often the case, as soon as I was half finished I got hold of the instructions for the Revell Shackleton and they have a different take on the markings compared with Print Scale, but it is near enough. I am not sure what the chordwise black lines are for and there may have been another shorter pair outboard of the roundel, but I have not bothered with them as sources vary.

Thankfully there are only 4 decs for the underside of each wing, but they will have to be very carefully aligned.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 11

AFAIK the 84" was the biggest used Dave! Mostly on large planes but the size of the wing meant that the early Canberra's seem to have had it also. Yes, the walkway lines may be a pain but they do add a nice touch. Revell seem to show them under the tailplane as well which is a bit odd - must be for something else.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

Hi Steve,

Yes so far they have coped pretty well with the rivets - helped by a little Micro Sol of course. The fuselage may be a different matter however - time will tell.

On 05/08/2019 at 07:31, Rabbit Leader said:

Crikey! - mine is.. was thinking of putting her up for trade in the Buy & Sell section! 

Oh yes we are all SO brave when we know she can't hear us ! :chair:

Keep up the good work Pete

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I suspect mine is not going to be pleased when the new Airfix Buccaneer kit arrives, hopefully next month - is will no doubt be in a ruddy big box like the F4K! Oh well, her wall should be finished by then so that might help a little.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

Airfix Buccaneer kit arrives, hopefully next month

Oh Dear... ( :whistle:)

Aside from sneaking it into the house, where's it going to go? My stash is growing exponentially since I joined this GB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/13/2019 at 3:34 PM, PeterB said:

Hi Charlie,

Don't know. Not sure why they keep disappearing both from my Flickr account and therefore the build posts. All a bit strange and reminiscent of the problem people have mentioned with Photobucket. They give you a free service but seem to interfere so as to encourage you to pay for the full service.

Pete

I think that IS exactly what they're doing. I've been using Tumblr to host mine and then right click to copy location image into the image box on BM.

The black lines seem to be where the outer wings are removed, possibly marking that? I'll ask around somebody should know.

• Thanks 1

I note that there has been a rash of missing pieces lately - wheels, props etc. Unfortunately it must be contagious because having painted the wheels last night, I seem to have lost one of the nosewheels! It should turn up but if not I will try casting a resin replacement. Failing that I have some P47 wheels that look very similar and perhaps somebody will release a set for the new Revell kit.

Must be a bit tidier and get rid of some of the clutter on my in my workspace.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

12 hours ago, PeterB said:

I note that there has been a rash of missing pieces lately - wheels, props etc. Unfortunately it must be contagious because having painted the wheels last night, I seem to have lost one of the nosewheels! It should turn up but if not I will try casting a resin replacement. Failing that I have some P47 wheels that look very similar and perhaps somebody will release a set for the new Revell kit.

Must be a bit tidier and get rid of some of the clutter on my in my workspace.

Pete

Try Barracuda.. resin wheels 

38 minutes ago, feldr said:

Try Barracuda.. resin wheels 

Hi,

Barracuda do some nice wheels for the AEW2 version which was a tail dragger. I have not seen any for the MR3  yet, and it is the nosewheel I am missing.  Fortunately my basic casting technique works pretty well for wheels so I have made one.

Cheers

The underwing serials are on though I still need to cut out the holes for the landing lights which are obscured. I seem to have avoided the "schoolboy error" regarding which way they face (I hope)!

DSC01683

Tomorrow I will sort out the undercarriage and glue on the wheels. That just leaves a few aerials and the Viper intake doors. The Print Scale decals go on well, though you have to be careful as they fall off the backing sheet almost as soon as they go in water, It is a pity that they did not include the "Walk Here" etc stencils and that they seem to have got the size of the wing roundel wrong.

Whilst looking at the serials I suppose it is worth mentioning that after the war the RAF and RN appear to have started using a new and at times totally different font instead of the one they used during the war – I have no idea why!.

This is a typical wartime set: - there were of course several variations-

wartime-crop

And this is Post War:-

postwar-crop

The aircraft I am modelling is “D” which is frankly a rather odd looking letter in the correct font, but it can't be helped.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi,

Barracuda do some nice wheels for the AEW2 version which was a tail dragger. I have not seen any for the MR3  yet, and it is the nosewheel I am missing.  Fortunately my basic casting technique works pretty well for wheels so I have made one.

Cheers

Then again there's always that silly bloke who has a spare parts Shackleton because he's used the Wings and Engines for something else ... 

• Thanks 1

Hi Rob,,

If I lose anything else I may get back to you but the wheel I cast in resin will do fine, and the original should turn up. How long is the post taking between you and the UK - we have only 7 weeks left?

Cheers

Pete

Hi Charlie,

Yes and no! I need to dry fit them to check the ballast, but I may not glue them in place due to storage problems - may end up like my B36 with seperate wings. However, they do not fit into a socket like many other kits so I probably will have to bite the bullet and glue them on. Time will tell. There is always the top of my wardrobe where the B36, B47, B52, B58, Vulcan and Victor currently reside. Dusty but free from smoke!. Unfortunately the 36 and 52 predate my use of a varnish finishing coat so the decs are falling off - I have replacements and must fit them sometime - the 52D may go from silver and white to Vietnam "Big Belly" finish. That is then going to be a "spray them in the dusty shed/garage" job as they won't fit in my spray booth. Oh for a "man cave".

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Hi Pete,

Yes, storage is always a problem with finished models. I’m lucky enough to have a small room to myself, kids having moved out several years ago. But running out of space there and models are migrating to more civilised parts of the house!

Maybe you could shim the wing tabs or fuselage slots with thin plasticard to get a better fit?

Cheers,

• Like 1

I glued up the undercarriage, added the wheels and doors earlier today:-

DSC01686

When it had all dried I push fitted the wings - the moment of truth!

DSC01688

It just balances and once the cockpit, guns, nosewheels and doors together with the engine fronts with props are on it will be a bit more stable, but in view of what happened with my He162 after I sprayed the finishing coats on, particularly given the amount of plastic behind the main wheels, I will add a bit more lead in the engine nacelles to be on the safe side. Incidentally I see that in the new Revell kit there is so much internal detail there is no room for weight in the fuselage so they too use the nacelles. However, they do not have 20g of resin Vipers behind the balance point!

The fit of the wings will need a bit of adjustment and that is where painting them first may be a slight disadvantage, but with care it should work out. It is beginning to look like a Shack now, but finding somewhere to store it is going to be a problem. Oh well, not to worry.

Thanks for watching - the end getting closer! Now where did I put that Bearcat?

• Like 10

Lovely, lovely, and will look even better with all the bits on it.

Given what it looks in the picture, it reminds me that I must get down to Long Marston to see if I can get a few shots of the Shackleton there. 

• Thanks 1