While awaiting  bits to dry on the Great White Beast, here is a Vac I did awhile back. A very old Combat Models Xp-67 Moonbat. It was a multiple case Guinness project.

I don't think there wasn't a piece that didn't get a correction or repair. I hope you will enjoy.

31628992228_225360c90d_k.jpg

31628988138_ab6d66299c_k.jpg

url=https://flic.kr/p/2cfi2z5]45450370122_5ca579284a_k.jpg[/url]

45501589341_aa13fbe5f1_k.jpg

• Like 23

37 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

I don't think there wasn't a piece that didn't get a correction or repair.

Hence the name, Combat models. You might be suffering from PTMD at this point.:mental: You have my admiration for finishing a Combat kit!

The newer ones aren't too bad. This one though was very rough. A lot of the molding either did'nt get formed or was so thin you could read the Lord's Prayer through it. My guess it was a good 25 years old. I picked up at a yard sale for $5.

Surprisingly, the kit was complete. But I added the aftermarket interior of a P-38, P/E  and nose wheel from a P-39,prop blades from 2 P-51s and the main wheels aftermarket A-20. It has a little bit of everything in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting bit of history on this one. It was designed as a bomber interceptor in 1940.McDonell Aircraft was the contractor on it.As far as I can tell it was the first truly blended wing fuselage combination innovative for the time. Unfortunately,

it was saddled with the worst engine ever designed. A 12 cyl. inverted low RPM Continental. McDonell wanted Allison inlines or a Rolls Royce Merlin, but the Gov. paper pushers said nope, work with what you got. The continental had a nasty habit of catching fire at the drop of a hat. Even though it was a low rpm engine it ran very hot. They tried several different intake redesigns, which made building this a nightmare. 2 Prototypes were built, the first one caught on fire on the test stand and was destroyed. The second one did make it in the air 5 or six times I think.The last time one engine caught fire in flight and upon landing a main gear collapsed writing the whole shebang off. By then it was 1944 and it wasn't needed and the project was cancelled. Interesting side note, they had a hard time seeing it on Radar, can't imaging why though.

• Like 3

I love that you kept at it and finished it!  What an acomplishment understanding what you had to start with.  This is a very interesting plane, thanks for the background  info on it.

And they say the A-10 is an ugly beast! At least the Warthog doesn't sound like a Pokemon 😂, very intriguing design, just a big blended wing with props and a tail!

Love a bit of uniqueness, nice job.

Marc

pretty much plus the wings were laminar flow as well to be a slick and as aerodynamic as possible. Just sad it was saddled with a dog of an engine.

• Like 1

That you managed to make such a good model out of the kit says something about your ability, determination, or tolerance of consuming massive amounts of alcohol! If you squint real hard, you can see where an F-22 inherited  its genes. I have the 1/72 Anigrand resin kit, and it looks to be a little better, but has the obligatory mass of pinholes and pseudo wheel bay detailing. The Continental inline engine was the W-34 turbojet of its day, as nothing that  used it was worth a darn!

Mike

Thank you 72modeler, the finished product could have been better at the rudder and elevators,they turned out rougher than I had wished.The props should be counter rotating instead of pointing in the same direction. There isn't a whole lot of information or photos out there on the Bat.Alot of the details added were for other aircraft entirely,and the rest of the details to look "busy " enough to appear correct. I had constructed it for a group build on another site whose subject was was the lost art of building vacs. Thought about reposting it here, but went with posting the final pictures instead.

You have triumphed mightily over this beast of a kit and I salute you. I built one many years ago and it is currently in a very poor state of repair. Your work will inspire me to  try and restore it.

Very nicely done.

I wonder if it would've been any good had it entered service?

Nice build. Especially when I look at the parts supplied (also got this one cheap. Then I knew why...). Good to see the shape of the assembled kit (I remember the canopy needs attention) and thanks for the parts list.

Combat offers a white metal set for this but without any pic and not knowing what it does include I did not order this.

On 27/05/2019 at 09:14, LorenSharp said:

I had constructed it for a group build on another site whose subject was was the lost art of building vacs. Thought about reposting it here, but went with posting the final pictures instead.

A WIP would be great, or even just a link to the other site for the build.    I had wondered why there was no 1/48th XP-67 (Czech Model do an XP-55 and XP-56 and XP-77

Be interesting to see what is involved! 

Great build by the way,  what evers it's 'faults', it's done!

21 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Combat offers a white metal set for this but without any pic and not knowing what it does include I did not order this.

The Combat site is hardly helpful in this respect.... but like Sanger...

• Like 1

This did have the white metalset but the condition was very poor what I didn't build from scratch I used after market items.

• Thanks 1