1/48 L-39 Albatros - MPM vs Trumpeter?

PhantomMJI

I really like the look of the L-39 and have picked up several decal sheets for this aircraft over the years. I also have picked up a few 1/48 MPM kits along the way. How does the newer Trumpeter L-39 kit compare to the older MPM kit? Is it a big step up in quality or an easier build than the MPM kit? I have noticed a bit more aftermarket goodies available for the Trumpeter kit. I will likely still build my MPM L-39 kits but I am debating if it is worth adding a better Trumpeter kit for , say, my favorite decal scheme.

Thanks for any comments. I don't recall ever seeing any direct comparison between these two L-39 kits.

Have fun modeling

Mike

🍻

The Trumpy kit is likely to be an easier build than the MPM, but as they couldn't even get the name right, it does make one wonder whether it's going to be very accurate! :lol:

in case you didn't know, initial boxings came through with "Albatro" or something similar - I forget these days :nerd:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mike said:

in case you didn't know, initial boxings came through with "Albatro" or something similar - I forget these days :nerd:

Seems austerity politics are reaching China, but the big question remains if you don’t have to actually pay punitive interest on a saved s. Semi related but almost fitting here, does anyone remember China Crisis‘s „What price Paradise“ ? Apparently answered 35 years later with a simple „S“.

Seriously, MPM is will most likely have had any access they needed to every aspect of the L-39 including the name so it’s hard to think they didn’t get  it right.

Not sure about the sequence, but one of China Crisis‘s other LP‘s was „flaunt the imperfection“, which I think sums up Trumpeter‘s approach to aircraft kits fairly neatly.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, tempestfan said:

Seriously, MPM is will most likely have had any access they needed to every aspect of the L-39 including the name so it’s hard to think they didn’t get  it right.

I'd say that was a fair comment, although I do know of many companies that have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, although I doubt it in this instance.  I think we've reviewed one here, IIRC, so have a search.  You'll be able to view the sprues and hear what one of us (possibly me) thought of it :)

4 hours ago, Mike said:

I'd say that was a fair comment, although I do know of many companies that have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, although I doubt it in this instance.  I think we've reviewed one here, IIRC, so have a search.  You'll be able to view the sprues and hear what one of us (possibly me) thought of it :)

We only reviewed the MPM / Speical Hobby one

Thanks everyone for the good comments! I am still in a bit of a quandary if the Trumpeter kit is a step up from the MPM kit or just a different set of "plus  & minuses".

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

BTW, good reviews on the MPM/Special Hobby L-39 kit in the review section, Mike & Julien!

Edited by PhantomMJI

I build the MPM years ago (actually I restore it as some parts were eaten by carpet monster and the canopy is "golden" too...). It might be 10 years ago or more, but I'll never forget the pain with this kit.. At the moment I build the Trumpy one (conversion to V target tug), and it's very nice. Surface is excellent, fit without problems. The level of detail is medium, especially the cockpit deserves something more. As I will close the cockpits (rear cockpit contains only the wire drum), for me no problem. Some problems only with the decals, they are wrong in many details. That's why I was happy to see that HAD Models from Hungary came out with 2 sheets for L-39, among them my East German V! I paid a lot of money, just to learn that "reserach" in Hungarian means the same than in Chinese. Pure disappointment!

Edited by Floggerman

On 5/30/2019 at 8:57 AM, Michou said:

My MPM L-29 (kit no. 48042) has a vac-form canopy which has turned golden-brown.☹️    

This!

The same happened to the vac-form canopies in my Aeroclub 1/48 Lightning T.4 conversion kit...

Is there any way to overcome this?

Cheers,

Unc2  

I just ordered the replacement canopy from Special Hobby (https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/l-39-injected-canopy-1-48.html?cur=1&listtype=search&searchparam=l-39)

I'll try to replace the Trumpy canopy because all tree parts have a nasty seam in the middle (and I'd destroy the windshield during polishing...)

Edited by Floggerman

14 hours ago, Jordi said:

In a word: no.  It's a molecular chemical change in the plastic that cannot be undone.  They simply used the wrong kind of plastic back in the day.  Nothing you can do to fix it.

Dern! :doh:

(are) You a hundred percent positive about that, Jordi? Because if so, I'm done for.

How about soaking it in bleach and then give it a good sun-drenched treatment?

Ultraviolet lamp light?

Scrubbing it with teeth whitening paste?

Something?

You can get some respite from a yellow canopy by exposing to sunlight for a few weeks. 

See the current  group build page,  NATO GB for my Mystere which had this treatment for a yellow canopy. 

It's never going to be perfect but can be used. A few dips in Future will reduce the chance of further deterioration. 

Colin 

Wow, this has been a very useful discussion! I am now convinced to pick up at least one of the Trumpeter kits. My MPM canopies are also yellow (no surprise) but I ordered several injection molded canopies from Special Hobby so I solved that problem at least.

I agree that the yellow canopies are not possible to save. As Jordi mentioned. it is a basic chemical degradation in the polymer (plastic) that is not reversible. They can serve as useful masks for the cockpit, though. when painting the fuselage! 😅

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻

On 6/7/2019 at 6:47 AM, Colin W said:

You can get some respite from a yellow canopy by exposing to sunlight for a few weeks. 

:analintruder: Awesome news! I'll post piccies of the canopy current state tomorrow so as to show you how much they have yellowed.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:47 AM, Colin W said:

See the current group build page, NATO GB for my Mystere which had this treatment for a yellow canopy. 

It's never going to be perfect but can be used. A few dips in Future will reduce the chance of further deterioration. 

Me will, thanks Colin. 

:cheers:

Unc2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 6:57 AM, Michou said:

My MPM L-29 (kit no. 48042) has a vac-form canopy which has turned golden-brown.☹️    That's enough to turn me towards the Trumpeter kit.

Mike

I ordered a replacement injection-molded canopy from Special Hobby.  It was inexpensive, even shipped from Europe to the USA, and was VERY well packed.

https://www.specialhobby.eu/en/our-own-production/special-hobby/l-39-injected-canopy-1-48.html?cur=2&force_sid=e9rmn8uiitorailqbo6v79a4q2&lang=1&redirected=1

Larry

• 2 weeks later...