F274 I've been looking for a "Renzan" to build this 🤢 +++FINISHED+++

JOCKNEY

4 hours ago, Johnson said:

Ages to go! Good progress Pat, looking forward to seeing it come together (seeing as I voted for it)

Yes I've taken a note of all those who landed me in this, there shall be a day of reckoning ! :fight:

• Haha 4

Hi Pat,

this is moving along fast, or so I think!

I love your flight crew sitting in front of their scrambled egg and ketchup breakfast!!! And I feel for you for having to paint all these props... 

But when all the nasty little comments are over, you are going to create another splendid model! This will definitely shut all the narrow minded homo sapiens (?) like myself, up.

Great job.

JR

• Like 4

Rita the Renzan and I have been very intimate today......

What follows is a picture of her bound and defenceless 😉

IMG_4573

IMG_4572

Now at this point, I began to realise she's a biggie, especially with the wings on !

IMG_4575

Still lots to do, and still worried it's a tailsitter, watch this space

Thanks for all the encouragement 

cheers Pat

• Like 12

Hi Pat,

it is looking impressive and great! You finished the shed to store it in, yet?

I never thought you were the type who liked his models bound and defenseless... But hey, nobody is judging!!!

Keep having fun!

JR

• Haha 4

Chance to do a bit more today, first of all the gaps between wings and fuselage thank goodness for filler !

IMG_4576

Then decided to fit the engine nacelles and undercarriage, the fit is appalling !

After much filing, trying refiling, repeat.....

IMG_4577

Dont let this picture fool you

IMG_4578

It's going to need a lot of work and that's just to get the engines to fit.

And to cap it all, yes you guessed it early indications are it's a tail sitter ! Fortunately I have left the bomb bay open so I can stuff more weight in there....... keep smiling :angry:

A very grumpy Pat

• Like 8

Your text is probably closer to the truth than what your photos indicate here Pat. It’s certainly looking impressive and with that huge Hori Stab area, it’ll no doubt weigh this thing down. I’m not quite up to speed with this aircraft, however is this some type of descendant / copy of Douglas’ pre-war DC-4E? There seems to be an air of familiarity with it, if not just in size alone. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

The Japanese apparently were interested in building a bomber version of the DC 4E as a sort of "short cut" to save developing a neavy bomber from scratch.  According to Rene Francillon in his Putnam book Japan Airlines was "encouraged" to buy the sole prototype from Douglas in 1939 and Nakajima secretly stripped it down, studied it, and then produced their G5N Shinzan which incorporated a new fuselage and twin tail. Unfortunately, Douglas only made one 4E because  the US airlines had rejected it as too heavy and too complicated - they then developed the DC 4A which was far better than the DC 4E (perhaps "E" was for "Experimental" - it was after all their first attempt at a large transport I believe).

He says that the Nakajima version was a poor design, overweight and with unreliable  1870hp NK7A Mamora engines, and only 4 G5N1 were made, together with 2 G5N2 with 1530hp Kasei 12 engines, which were presumably more reliable but clearly less powerful (at least on paper). The design was cancelled and it seems both the N2's and a pair of N1's re-engined with the Kasei were used as freight transports under the designation G5N2-L (Allied code name Liz). The Renzan seems to have been a completely new design, the only obvious similarity being that it had 4 engines.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 15/09/2019 at 00:40, JOCKNEY said:

Then decided to fit the engine nacelles and undercarriage, the fit is appalling !

After much filing, trying refiling, repeat.....

It's going to need a lot of work and that's just to get the engines to fit.

And to cap it all, yes you guessed it early indications are it's a tail sitter ! Fortunately I have left the bomb bay open so I can stuff more weight in there....... keep smiling :angry:

A very grumpy Pat

Impressive build Pat, keep at it, mate! Like everyone else, I've got one of these tucked away for a build in the future and you are certainly pioneering the way for me, as well as providing a fascinating build thread. Appreciate it! All the best, Mike

• Like 1

Update for tonight, further fettling to get the last 2 engine nacelles fitted, possibly a worse fit than the first two !

IMG_4581

Then I tried to fit the front undercarriage wheel which as you can see doesn't !

IMG_4583

If you keep the strutt support the original length it's too long and forces the strutt to lean forward which wouldn't support all the weight I have had to put in the nose !

Therefore I drilled the location hole further back in the wheel well to keep the strutt support vertical.

I have cut more lead sheet to fit underneath the cockpit floor, which I am sliding into position through the open bomb bay, I'm nervous about using superglue to keep it in position as others have had problems with a chemical reaction that melts through the plastic. My plan is to make a plastic cover which I will fit behind and underneath the existing cockpit and trap the lead in place under the cockpit floor, again this can be put in place through the bomb bay.

I will try and take some pictures, especially if it works !

cheers Pat

• Like 4

Hi Pat,

Yes I have heard that too but don't know what type of glue they were using. I have used bog standard Loctite both liquid and gel for lord knows how many years and had no problems yet. Suppose it could be a particulat type of plastic - who knows. Two "bottles" of Loctite gel used on the Shackleton without any problem. Anyway you are probably best to play safe.

Keep up the good work.

Pete

• Like 2

I use a Loctite CA product as well (401), kindly supplied from a place I probably shouldn't mention! I've been using this stuff for years and have had no adverse reactions so far. It's great for instant fixing and filling as well. Tamiya has just come out with a Quick Set thin liquid cement which I am using on my Matchbox Canberra. It's not a bad product either. 

Cheers and nice progress on Rita.. Dave 

• Like 2

Looking good Pat.

Hope you avoid the problem I had with my 162 - we tend to forget that paint and varnish has a weight and can throw the balance, particularly on a kit like this with a long rear fuselage.

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Looking good Pat.

Hope you avoid the problem I had with my 162 - we tend to forget that paint and varnish has a weight and can throw the balance, particularly on a kit like this with a long rear fuselage.

Pete

Thanks Pete

Good point well made, I'll keep the bomb bay open so I can add additional weight it required 

cheers Pat

• Like 1