F274 I've been looking for a "Renzan" to build this 🤢 +++FINISHED+++

JOCKNEY

Quite possibly the worst pun since they finished making "Carry On" films !

I will be building the F274 Nakajima G8N1 Renzan "Rita" bomber. Mine in an AMT boxing of the Frog Kit, which I got from the good ol USA, when I had more money than sense. The kit is still sealed in the bag, so here is the box picture as a place holder.

IMG_4351

This is what the Frog kit box looked like

IMG_4352

Good luck everyone, this is going to be great !

cheers Pat

• Like 13

About time you declared your hand 'so called' Host!! 

This should be good Pat, perhaps consider an Tamiya aerosol for all that Orange paint. It will certainly stand out amongst a see of drab colours and camouflaged patterns. 

And yes, I do agree with you - shocking Pun! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Hi Pat,

Back in the days these Hasegawa kits started appearing under the Frog brand I bought their Betty and Emily, and did think about buying this one as well, but decided against it.

Good luck with the build, I will be watching with interest as I have never seen one of these actually made up.

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat

Good luck with the build, I will be watching with interest as I have never seen one of these actually made up.

Pete

With my record in GB's Pete, that may still be the case ! :rofl:

cheers Pat

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Greg Law said:

I have the Hasegawa kit of this bomber. 

Hi Greg

Any help on things like interior and bomb colours ? The AMT instructions are, well lets be nice and call them basic !

cheers Pat

Thanks Chris !

Yes it's only now beginning to dawn on me how popular this GB could be, AND I am supposed to build things at the same time :frantic:

Thank goodness we have 2 grown up in Dave & V-P to keep me on the straight and narrow !

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Thank goodness we have 2 grown up in Dave & V-P to keep me on the straight and narrow !

I think you'd better make that 1 Pat.... V-P holds this GB's conch! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_World_War_II_navy_bombs

22 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Greg

Any help on things like interior and bomb colours ? The AMT instructions are, well lets be nice and call them basic !

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

Don't have anything on the interior colours but perhaps "bamboo" for the cockpit and the blue/green laquer "Aodaki Iro"elsewhere - see IPMS Stockholm's "Urban's Colour Reference Charts" for paint equivalents to these and the "Trainer Red-Orange". I have a reference for bombs at Pearl Habour and JNAF seem to have been using a grey painted body then, and this article in Wiki suggests they stayed that way.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_World_War_II_navy_bombs

Pete

• Like 2

I'm afraid I can't be much help with the bomb and cockpit colour. 

I dragged the kit out of the box only to find it doesn't have bombs. My one was a missile carrier.

The cockpit only states that it is a Nakajima cockpit colour. Doesn't mention a paint. Not surprising really

as it is an old kit. I suggest looking at a Betty kit for the bomb colour. 

• Thanks 1

One of the guys at the Mildenhall Model Club built one recently, to a very high standard as well. No pressure there then Pat!

He went to town on the interior adding all kinds of goodies. We watched it coming together over a month or two. At the Grand Unveiling one evening, it was rolled out for all to see. We couldn't see a thing inside the plane, the only way we knew what was in there was by referencing the photo build album the maker made while building.  It did look bloody good on the table though.

Tony.

• Like 2

Pat,

If you are still bothered about the cockpit colour, Cybermodeler show Nakajima using a pale greenish brown - something like light or mid stone mixed with a little US cockpit green. Also, 20 years ago Scale Aircraft Modelling International ran a series on Japanese aircraft colours, and stated that as I mentioned on your Ta152 thread for the Luftwaffe, late in the war the Japanese were cutting back on using paint so natural metal is a possibility.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Apologies for not having made a start on this one yet, I'm trying to finish my Trainers GB build.

I have now opened the bags, well most of them and here is the kit;

IMG_4397

IMG_4398

IMG_4399

IMG_4400

IMG_4401

IMG_4402

IMG_4403

The kit looks really nice, so I'm looking forward to starting.

I do hope everyone is enjoying this GB as much as I am !

cheers Pat

• Like 10

Looks quite nice Pat, large and simplified which has lots of buildability appeal. I’m thinking a good dose of white primer will be required to go over that green plastic, all very possible of course. Look forward to seeing this one take shape. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

You might look at the article I have linked below. You could also try the J-Aircraft website for interior/exterior colors. A shame the sole survivor was scrapped- it would have made an interesting visual comparison to the B-32 Dominator, the sole surviving example of which was being held  in outdoor storage in Arizona earmarked for a museum, but scrapped.

Mike

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/2018/12/jim-andersons-hasegawa-g8n1-renzan-rita.html

I also recall reading a build article, I think in IPMS USA, that quoted FS 34258 for the interior- which sounds close to Nakajima cockpit green; see what you think, or maybe another BMer can help in this regard. There was also an upgrade set that had superchargers, props, etc., but I don't recall the maker or even if it is still available- I remember it was very pricey!

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ive been experimenting with some colours

First up the external Japanese training colour, this looks orange on any pictures I've seen however I bought the colourcoats Japanese trainer yellow orange and the modelcolor clear orange, both of which have been quoted as the correct colour.

As you can see from the picture below there is one heck of a difference !

IMG_4428

The orange calms down a lot when it's dry and certainly looks closer to all the pictures I've seen.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated 

cheers Pat

• Like 4

From a looks point of view, I would go for the orange, it's how my minds eye see's the plane and how I remember it from when the kit first came out. Bright yellow would certainly stand out though!

Whatever you go for, it will certainly grab the eye. 

• Like 1

Hi Pat,

ditto: the orange does work for me. 

I make mine with Saint Humbrol: 1 red 153 + 25 yellow (nr forgotten... doh.) Looks pretty close to yours.

Whatever you decide will go!

Cheers

JR

• Like 1