F-194 Spitfire XIV and V-1 Flying Bomb

John

I wonder if FROG had to remould the canopy at some point, maybe as a result of mould damage or something like that? There definitely seems to be a major difference between earlier and later boxings.

The upper surface has been given coat of Humbrol HB3 Ocean Grey as a primer, and the small gaps shown up have had an application of Games Workshop Liquid Green Stuff filler. This is water based and very handy for small gaps:

FROGV116

The underside has had a coat of Humbrol HU10 FS36622 as a base for the invasion stripes. I've also removed the pimple on the Spitfire's bum, which I assume is meant to represent the downward identification light. Again, a small amount of Liquid Green Stuff makes good the scar:

FROGV117

John

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Getting some colour on the Spitfire:

FROGV118

The main upper surface colour is Humbrol HB3 Ocean Grey with the wing leading edge stripes in 24 Trainer Yellow and the fuselage band in HB5 Sky.  Now for some masking.

John

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

I've been neglecting my Spitfire.

Actually I've been putting off masking the stripes:

FROGV119

Anyway, HB5 Sky around the rear fuselage and the invasion stripe area given an off-white undercoat. I think I'll do the fuselage stripes all the way round.

John

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's been an interesting few days having to take the toilet apart to replace a broken syphon, but finally back to the bench.

I dug out venerable tins of HB1 and HB3 from the depths of the paint locker and sorted out the camouflage pattern:

FROGV120

Good practice for the lovely Airfix 1/48th scale kit.

I just love old Humbrol enamels.

John

• Like 4

• 1 month later...