Austin Tilly in Italy

Hi All, I'm a new member from Italy.

I've just completed my 1/35 Tamiya Austin Tilly. A little gem to mount as usual. I added some details to the interiors cab and into the rear cargo area (wooden bed from Tamiya was not correct).

I used a combination of Hussar resin wheels (civilian and military pattern). Very good. 

About camo I was a little in doubt until I saw the well done Austin by Bullbasket John. I never knows that 51st Highland Divisioni was in Italy (thank you, John!). So I decided to paint it in the same way😀.

I have a little doubt about area where the Divisioni was assigned.

Here the pics.

Hope you like and feel free to any comments.

Ciao

Filippo

JSN3DjT.jpg

o5h63DO.jpg

Ap1sIMY.jpg

87gIzXQ.jpg

xVtj6ox.jpg

8oErRkk.jpg

Gwiw3iF.jpg

2syBAsr.jpg

HcBeHJH.jpg

drDxs1V.jpg

J9Op2k2.jpg

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

About camo I was a little in doubt until I saw the well done Austin by Bullbasket John. I never knows that 51st Highland Divisioni was in Italy (thank you, John!). So I decided to paint it in the same way😀.

Thanks Filippo. You've done an absolutely brilliant job on that Tilly. Are the hoops for the tilt and the brackets par of a conversion or did you scratch build them?

John.

very nice. one question, where did you get the Hussar wheels from? I have just got the very old Italeri M3A1 and they do wheels for that (hoping to get some Value Gear stowage, plus some of my own plus jerry cans to really load it up)

Many thanks For your kind words!

John, the hooks are from Hauler. I used these hetched parts, only as I really prefer using evergreen plastic parts.

Rob, I found Hussar wheels from a Canadian site😏.

Ciao Filippo

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

John, the hooks are from Hauler. I used these hetched parts, only as I really prefer using evergreen plastic parts.

Sorry Filippo, I wasn't clear enough. I meant the three U shaped hoops that hold the canvas tilt up. Did you make them from plastic rod, or are they from  conversion kit?

John.

Sorry John I confused hoops with hooks! I used 0.50 (or 0.65) plastic rods repruducing the same shape of tarpaulin. To adapt and harden the shape I used an hair phone phone (not too close or it melts!).

Ciao

Filippo

• Thanks 1

Bullbasket, I found the advice I use to bend the U shaped hoods. Cut the rod, conform to shape , fix with strong tape and hair-phoned it!

After some (Ten and more attempts😫 it work. Hope it can help you. Sorry but I don't remenber the dimensions 

Ciao

Filippo

WiZY7Uj.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My worry with bending plastic rod for the tilt hoops, even with heat, is that stresses are set up in the plastic which could cause them to snap at the bend later.  This has happeneed to me.  I would have gone with metal wire, but still using a former template.

I like the attention to detail here improving the kit parts, and the Hussar wheels in the different patterns - as so often seen - really set it off.

On 31/05/2019 at 15:14, Phil1960 said:

Bullbasket, I found the advice I use to bend the U shaped hoods. Cut the rod, conform to shape , fix with strong tape and hair-phoned it!

After some (Ten and more attempts😫 it work. Hope it can help you. Sorry but I don't remenber the dimensions 

Ciao

Hi Filippo. Thanks for that tip. I think that the best product for the hoops would be Slater's rod. I remember from the days (many years ago) when I used to build model railways, that Slater's rod was the best to use if you needed to bend it.

John.

Dan,

For details I used to refer to:

- "Austin 10Hp Light Utility 2 Seater 4x2 - Capricorn Publications;

- Historic Military Vehicle Forum as a mine of technical infomations  http://hmvf.co.uk/topic/9338-austin-10-ligth-utility-quottillyquot/;

For camouflage and historic backgrounds: Tilly colour by M. Shackleton (a unique must).

Rob, many thanks for your kind words.

Ciao

Filippo

• 2 months later...

Hi All. Here some pics with Austin Tilly in Mickey Mouse pattern camo from 51st Highland Division (thanks John!). The black is, according to M. Shacketon, Nato Black while the brown is a compbination of Nato Brown and Yellow in 50/50 %.

The interior is not completed.

Hope you like.

OsBzmY2.jpg

2rY9dVa.jpg

koEkWnL.jpg

BoMGciK.jpg

mkM3SJ4.jpg

3t8ClJB.jpg

IDHbY07.jpg

Ciao

Filippo  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All. Here some more pics of the vehicle with the completed camo. Now it's time for weathering!

Hope you like.

Ciao Filippo

4albtLZ.jpg

TCnWkCO.jpg

2n1axV7.jpg

eR5d68Q.jpg

FcSuXYN.jpg

• Like 3