Vampire FB5 / 50 (F217 / F431 ????)

Redstaff

I might as well add this one to the list for the build as well as the Intruder as I think time will be on our side for once in a GB 

The number on the box is F217, but Scalemates class the boxing I have as F431 from 1974, so I'm not sure how you want to classify it Dave  @Rabbit Leader but as you can see from the pics it is the later box but the earlier number 🤔

20190525_170249_resized 20190526_093231_resized 20190525_170407_resized

• Like 6

Good get Redstaff. I passed up on one of these at a recent swap meet, however did pick up a good example of Frog’s Sea Venom as a tasty alternative. Let’s call this one F217, I’ll document everyone’s new builds after I have some dinner! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

I remember almost buying one of these in Birmingham when on a course in around 1974/5, but as ever did not and regretted it. However I did managed to get the Heller one a few years later. The only usual problem with the twin boom De Havillands is getting the booms aligned correctly and that includes "modern" kits.

Good luck.

Pete

• Like 1

Hi Redstaff,

this was the first Frog kit I ever built, so many years ago. I loved it and it is still gathering dust in my home in France.

I keep bitching at the pilot who looked straight out a sci-fi movie (he was the alien!).

The pilot, for unknown reason, is still here with me in my spare parts box!!! The rubbish we keep...

Have fun!

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a part built one of these that every time I look at it I feel guilty about not finishing it.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished 

cheers Pat

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this one finished 

No pressure then Pat :) 

Looking in the box I can't believe how small it is next to the 1/48 Lightning WIP 

Ian 

• Haha 1

Well the body, wings and booms are all assembled (a huge total of 12 parts) and the joints filled, a fair amount of filler for such a small plane, ready for primer

I'm having trouble uploading pics at the minute, but I'll try again later

Ian :) 

On 5/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, Redstaff said:

I might as well add this one to the list for the build as well as the Intruder as I think time will be on our side for once in a GB 

The number on the box is F217, but Scalemates class the boxing I have as F431 from 1974, so I'm not sure how you want to classify it Dave  @Rabbit Leader but as you can see from the pics it is the later box but the earlier number 🤔

20190525_170249_resized 20190526_093231_resized 20190525_170407_resized

To try to sort out the kit numbers - the FROG book by Lines and Hellström says that the kit number was F431 in that Type H box from 1974 to 1976, then F217, still in the same Type H box and price series, from 1976 to 1977. However the price series they list for both kits is the Blue series, and your one appears to be in the Black series (the clue is the colour of the FROG logo). It therefore appears that FROG moved the Vampire down a price series, and yours is one of the later, cheaper kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Thanks again Richard. I didn’t know that the colour of the Frog logo was related to the series so that’s my learning for the day. I appreciate all the historical notes that you’re adding here, what’s the chance of joining us with a build of your own? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Thanks again Richard. I didn’t know that the colour of the Frog logo was related to the series so that’s my learning for the day. I appreciate all the historical notes that you’re adding here, what’s the chance of joining us with a build of your own? 

Cheers.. Dave 

I'm trying to sort one out - the Spitfire VIII looks likely at the moment, as I've got one without a box kicking around.

• Like 2

I bought one in a bag from a shop in Aberdeen in the very early 1970s while on holiday at my aunt and uncle's. 

My cousin was a very good military modeller so the Vampire was finished in German armour colours. 

Still looked cool though. 

John 

• Like 1

Primed it and it looks like the wing roots need a little more fettling, it was difficult to see properly in the dark blue bare plastic, but it shows up a lot better in the grey. 

I've also added one of the wings to the intruder that's being made in the background, the size comparison is huge between the 2 planes 

Ian :)

20190608_152431_resized

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat

Not touched anything for over 2 weeks now with one thing and another, going to try and get back on track this week again  

Ian 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat

Still not touched anything for a few weeks with one thing and another, just don't seem to have any spare time at all lately, don't know where it all seems to have gone

Must try and knock the dust off them and get back in the saddle so to speak

Ian

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

just don't seem to have any spare time at all lately, don't know where it all seems to have gone

Ian

Hear, hear!!!

We must both be living in parallel universes!

JR

• Like 1