HMAS Vendetta, an Australian built Daring Class Destroyer

Well the “HMAS Vendetta” build is finally finished and I only lost decal, a very small Pennant number down around the stern. Dammed the convicts for adopting the US Navy pennant number system unlike the Kiwis  who still used the proper numbering system aka the RN for Commonwealth Navies.

Paints used were, Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (light Grey), Humbrol Acrylic Spray Grey 64 both were in a rattle can. Humbrol Emamel Matt Black, Matt White and Humbrol Acrylic 64 which I think I’ll throw out in the end. Sovereign Colourcoats RN16 (old stock).

Aftermaket parts from Shapeways in form of the 4.5” turrets, the two twin 40mm Bofors and two single 40mm Bofors. Ladders were pinched from my two Flyhawk L Class Destroyer builds.  

A few little school boy errors during the build, but overall a very enjoyable build in the end. But the real joy of this build was having a few old boys from the pirates who served on one of the 4 Darings retelling a few dits, and during Vendetta’s time on the gun line during the Vietnam with USN and the technical side of the Darings in the RAN.

Would like to have added railings and the catwalk  between fw’d and aft superstructures.

Here’s the history of the build for those who haven’t been following it. 

09A2E2D5-81B9-49F5-A1CC-3FC332025A27

22B583A9-ACE6-4B06-B983-57E19BA78603

0301D134-AAC2-4B9B-99D2-445CEE035023

481D16C9-4A62-41E4-83B1-C200EF2DF345

339D3DCF-5D65-42A6-B222-936A3750C66D

06C78519-10EB-4A89-AFF2-6072EFC92014

Edited by Exkiwiforces
  • Like 17

She looks really good Exkiwi but I daresay she would look even better with a less cluttered background in the photos, and perhaps against slightly more neutral colours.

Just saying! 🤔

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

She looks really good Exkiwi but I daresay she would look even better with a less cluttered background in the photos, and perhaps against slightly more neutral colours.

Just saying! 🤔

I probably do a few more before I head back to Darwin this coming Saturday.

• Like 1

Gidday again Exkiwi, I am no photographic expert but I think I agree with Bandsaw here. A plain background will not detract from the views of the model, allowing us to appreciate more the work you've done. And it is certainly worth appreciating. For a model this size I've sometimes used a sheet of A3 white paper, flat at the front with the ship on it, and curved upwards behind (leaning against a stack of books etc) as a backdrop. A couple of light sources if possible to avoid camera flash shadow on the backdrop. Others with more photographic experience may be able to make other/better suggestions. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2019 at 19:30, Bandsaw Steve said:

Just saying! 🤔

On 26/05/2019 at 23:54, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again Exkiwi, I am no photographic expert but I think I agree with Bandsaw here. A plain background will not detract from the views of the model, allowing us to appreciate more the work you've done. And it is certainly worth appreciating. For a model this size I've sometimes used a sheet of A3 white paper, flat at the front with the ship on it, and curved upwards behind (leaning against a stack of books etc) as a backdrop. A couple of light sources if possible to avoid camera flash shadow on the backdrop. Others with more photographic experience may be able to make other/better suggestions. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Here some better photos of the “HMAS Vendetta” build before I hand her over the to Xavier Ward for safekeeping and display during Veterans Week etc.

8044687B-D97D-4340-99B4-51DF8173842C

8566B5A4-0364-4472-9767-677F10FFBC5C

836B7889-8CB5-4F7F-BB03-842293BA8B4C

C9DCA5EF-D543-41AE-A65D-541061D6A43E

• Like 10

As SteveHnz said they don't make them half as elegant as that now.

I have the old Airfix HMS Daring kit. But have an idea of converting it to the Swedish destroyer HMS Halland or HMS Småland as the Daring class almost shared weight and dimensions with the Swedish destroyers...

https://www.hnsa.org/hnsa-ships/hms-smaland/

More pictures of HMS Halland and HMS Småland can be seen under "Bildgalleri" here...

https://sv.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halland-klass

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B