Beaufort/Beaufighter

Greg Law

Sorry guys if nothing is happening here. Unfortunately I have to wait for Scott's gun to arrive. This is the problem with bring a world apart.  Postage between our great countries tends to be a bit slow. In the meantime I have completed my latest hidden project and will be putting it up on ready for inspection later today if the weather allows photos to be taken. This is another one of my early jets project.  My next part of this project will be a 1/48 version of Dave's little Gloster. 

Good news. The gun has arrived safe. Thanks to Scott for sending me the parts. I will be able to continue  tomorrow.  Now I'm in the city I have a  much better modeling setup once I get everything packed away.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I'm afraid to say I most likely won't get my Beaufort done in time for the deadline. I have far too many work  projects to get done in the next few weeks, so I don't have much time for modelling.  I will continue it on WIP after the deadline.  If I try and get it done here it will be a mess and I do want it to be up to the quality of my Blenheim. 

It is not going  on to the shelf of doom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Thanks for letting us know Greg. No point rushing it after all the cockpit work you've already added. We will look forward to it's completion in good time. 

Cheers and good luck with all the upcoming work.. Dave 

Well things have got worse this afternoon.  To top it off. It looks like I'm coming down with a cold. Can't be a flue as I have had my shot this year. Still l made some good progress with my work projects.  I seem to get energetic just before getting sick.

• Sad 3

Well now this cold is under control I can start doing things again.  Today I will finally close up the fuselage.  I managed to cut the front glass to fit yesterday which was always a worry for me. It's not perfect, but I think it is the best I can do. I will continue posting progress until this group build closes.

• Like 3

Bad luck on the turret.  The vac part cracked up. I have another one so I can sort it. I'm looking at a new way of doing it so I can put the turret in at the end. This way it will be easier to paint the model and won't hold me up like it has done to this point.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Progress today. Fuselage is closed up, putted and sanded. Will need a bit more putty by the looks of it. I found the problem with the cockpit canopy. The instrument panel was in the way, so I reduced that a bit and repainted the edges. Now it fits better. I'm waiting for the front glass to dry properly as it is easy for me to knock out at the moment before I fix the canopy. In the meantime I have worked out a way of fitting the engines into the cowling.  I put some epoxy putty into the cowling and pushed the engine into it, making sure the front was free of putty. This should hold it and reinforce the cowling joint. I will do a similar thing when I fit them to the wing.

The only thing that is concerning me now is the fitting the canopy part and faring in the joint. I think I you will always see it.

• Like 2

Sounds like you're winning some fit issues there Greg, which is hardly surprising considering the extra effort and detailing being applied.  It would be good to see some progress photos when you get the chance. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Ok guys. Here is a progress image of the fuselage together and the canopy installed. Looks a bit rough, but I should be able to 

smooth most of it over with Tamiya putty. I just noticed. Looks like I forgot the seat belt. Well to late now. It is what it is. Beltless........

Frog Beaufort image10

• Like 11

Looks good Greg. The seat belts are actually there, just not quite visible as they've fallen below the seat. I'm sure these will hardly be noticeable once the fuse sides are all painted up. 

Cheers and thanks for the pic... Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Greg

I am actually reading a book about a Beaufort squadron at the moment, I think I'll be building my Encore version in the near future, I hope you don't mind me using your tips from this build ?

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

That is a problem. I checked that before I glued. I will see what I can do.

It was. That was the one I used super glue on. As a result it was damaged. 

Still it was the one that had a problem anyway. I will order a new set today. It will 

Only take a few days all going.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1