Beaufort/Beaufighter

Greg Law

On 05/08/2019 at 02:21, Greg Law said:

I wanted to do an Australian one, but I can't get the decals. 

@Rabbit Leader strikes again !

Pop a wanted request on the decal bit of the GB and the wanted section here on BM, fingers crossed you get what you are looking for.

cheers Pat

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Chris 

Thankyou for putting those up they are a big help.

Oh my horse hockey! I didn't look at how big they were. I downloaded them a few years ago but never looked at their size.

Okay. I have gone back and replaced those monster-sized drawings with some of a more normal size. Can't be jammin' up the forum with stuff that huge.

Chris

• Like 1

Pat not quite. I spent twenty six years in Australia so I feel equally aligned to both Australia and old New Zealand.  As my daughters are Australian I tend to look that way.

Unless it is 37 squadron  stuff then I  remember my NZ roots. Also the New Zealand squadrons in the Island, then again I have a huge respect for the Aussie's in New Guinea 

I'm rather conflicted. ......

Pete

Thanks for the offer, but I'm committed to doing a British torpedo version now. Dave tells me the Australian ones were only bombers.

I have nice new decals for it. 

My stash selling is complete now. So tomorrow I should be able to progress again.

• Like 2

Greg,

Don't know where Dave got that idea from - The Ian Allan Beaufort Special book lists several raids with torpedoes before the Aussie Beaus switched to ground support. Of course it is an old book and could be wrong!

31 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Greg,

Don't know where Dave got that idea from - The Ian Allan Beaufort Special book lists several raids with torpedoes before the Aussie Beaus switched to ground support. Of course it is an old book and could be wrong!

Likely to be the other way around Pete... Dave is getting old and could be wrong!

If that's the case I do apologise Greg, when I get the chance I'll take a deeper look at what references I have. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Another boring image to show I'm making some progress. This is the rough Torpedo bay built into the fuselage.

It is in a rough state and will be tided up when I glue the fuselage together. I have to sort the turret out first and

I need to wait for the extra gun and torpedo to arrive. 

Frog Beaufort image9

• Like 13

This build won't move far for a few days while I wait for the torpedo to arrive if it arrives at all. I've been having major post problems lately.  I bought an very expensive book part one of the Me 262 series that hasn't arrived.  It looks like it has gone to the Ukraine.  My new expensive compressor has been stuck in customs for a week and I can't find out what is going on. So my confidence in postage is not very high at the moment.  

• Sad 6

My modeling gremlins have struck again.  I have too get a new canopy.  Stupidly I got Ca on the one I have. Still not a big issue all going well. Should only take a few days to get to me. Luckily it doesn't have to go through customs. 

Part ordered. The advantage of this is I can get a new front glazing as well.

• Sad 4

Unbelievable, I managed to sand and polish out the Ca mark from the canopy. I didn't think it would be possible on a Vac canopy. We live and learn......... 

Good old Flory's sanders and polishers  came to the rescue. 

• Like 6

Good work was done on the turret. I managed to cut the turret lower section off evenly which had been a major worry for me. 

I have built a gun mount into it. Not as good as Adrian's, but it will do me. Once the gun gets here I will be able to put it all together. 

My nose front Vac glass has turned up again, so I will be able to have two goes with it if need be. I think I will dip this canopy in Future 

to prevent any Ca misting, it also should help the repair I did. 

Pat. Jockney

I have put my hand up to join your Floaty GB doing a 1/48 Ar 196 A. Do you mind putting me on the list. 

I will need something simple to do after this build. 

• Like 5

Hi Greg

Great work on the Torpedo bay.  If the Torpedo doesn't arrive, let me know and I will be happy to send my one from the Shark kit if it helps. It's not good having postal problems like that.

Keep up the good work 

All the best

Chris

10 hours ago, Greg Law said:

dimensions of the torpedos wooden tail.

I used the new Airfix Beaufighter part.

Wing is 23mm wide, 9mm front to back with an 8mm x 1.5mm cut out for the torpedo tail. Fins are 9mm front to back, 8mm high with slightly rounded corners. The wing joins the fins half way down but the wing is tilted downwards so that the of the join is  about 1mm lower at the front than at the back.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally all my issues have been resolved.  The compressor made it after they charged me 25% import duty. The book arrived after it had a holiday in the Ukraine for a few weeks. It only got moving when I contacted the courier. Goes to prove it helps to jump up and down and wave your knickers in the air.....😎

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Apologies for only picking up on this now,  however If the Airfix Beaufighter torpedo and wooden fin is what you’re after, I’m sure I have a spare amongst my three kits Greg. 

There you go... more good news for the day! Chat soon 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

I have this 1/72 Lead Sled kit that I bought back in the late 80's.

48540064706_76a91a5f8d_b.jpg

48540064741_5bbe13b362_b.jpg

Both of the new Airfix Beaufighter kits have torpedoes and both come with air tails. You could ask others if they have those as spares.

48540212232_2068d91e28_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4