Beaufort/Beaufighter

Greg Law

On 27/05/2019 at 20:08, Greg Law said:

Has anyone noticed that Hannants has a 1/48 one listed in the future Special hobby section. I wonder if it is just them  trying to encourage SH to make one or if it is on the cards.

Chaps I hate to say it but I am sure I spotted that at least seven-eight years ago and gave up on ever seeing the Special Hobby 1/48 Beaufort ever coming to fruition.  Its so long ago I forget quite when and its odd that it still shows on Hannants web site as future releases and one can only hope that they know something that we dont. 

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Chaps I hate to say it but I am sure I spotted that at least seven-eight years ago and gave up on ever seeing the Special Hobby 1/48 Beaufort ever coming to fruition.  Its so long ago I forget quite when and its odd that it still shows on Hannants web site as future releases and one can only hope that they know something that we dont. 

It took SH about as long to finally release their Douglas B-18 and longer still to re-pop it as an RCAF Digby.

Chris

• Like 1

Those are some great photos, and indeed they don’t come much better. I used them in my Beaufort build last/this year, so a belated thanks for that. It’s a shame that the one in the RAF museum at Hendon can only be seen from underneath - we need an aerial walkway!

Regards, 

Adrian

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

It is underway again. After sitting for too long in the house of horrors it is underway again.......

I just couldn't get my head focused on it. It is a bit like my Blenheim Mk.1 when I did it.

It kept haunting me which made me hide in a deep dark corner in the house of horrors

until one day I saw a glint of light from it's little canopy calling me to finish it and so it was..........

Not much, but it is happening now. 

Frog Beaufort image5

• Like 10

Glad the Beaufort's been retrieved from that 'Dark Place' Greg... good start on the nose section, it'll all be seen under that beautiful glazing you know! 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1

Completed the construction of the cockpit yesterday. Not up to Adrian's standards, but it is better than nothing. I will show it once it is painted later today.

Luckily I managed to get a few parts from an old Airfix Anson kit. 

The big problem is the front nose glazing. Not sure how to do that at the moment as I don"t want to cut it off. It will be tricky.

This is the first rough cockpit painted to main colour. I had trouble with using Tamiya putty to fill some gaps.

I will try and tidy it up a bit and add the detail painting. I have a decal I can use for the instrument panel if

I cut it up. As I said I'm not going all the way with this like Adrian. 

Frog Beaufort image6

• Like 12

The cockpit is done up to a point I'm satisfied with it. Not perfect, but it is the best I can do at 1/72 which isn't my scale to be honest. 

In real life to me I can't see all the uneven surfaces. It always amazes me what photos being out. However it will have to do. 

Frog Beaufort image8

Frog Beaufort image7

• Like 12

35 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

In real life to me I can't see all the uneven surfaces. It always amazes me what photos being out. However it will have to do. 

I think we do tend to obsess about such things. Once the canopy is in place it’ll look just right.

I blame all the modern kits that have every detail inside an airframe even though most of it will never be seen again once the fuselage is buttoned up. Photos are cruel, because the camera can enlarge something the size of your thumb to massive proportions, along with all the blemishes! 

• Like 4

That does look good Greg and quite impressive for such a small size. The chat about cameras and photos is so true and something we should all remember whilst we are working through optivisors etc. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouraging comments. I hope to get the front glazing done today. This is going to be a challenge as I'm going to try and reshape a front glass from a 

Blenheim Mk.IV. to fit. The kit one is unusable and the Vac one has disappeared.  

Does anyone know where I can get the turret guns. I have one from an Anson kit, but I need another one. Also a British torpedo. Surprising  enough  my 1/48 ones just won't fit this model.☹ 

• Like 2

Hi Greg

That's quite a shopping list, one of the shark builders othey aren't on here might have a spare torpedo if they aren't using it.

Your Blenheim to Beaufort clear parts conversion sounds very ambitious, so the very best of luck because without putting any extra pressure on you the idea of a Frog GB without a Beaufort would be just wrong !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

According to my books on the subject the Beaufort carried either the MkXII or XIV 18" tordpedo which was semi - recessed into the bomb bay and seems to have had the so called "air tail" like the one Frog provide with the Barracuda. The ones for the Shark and Swordfish do not have the tail, though it would be easy enough to make. Alternatively it could and did also carry bombs.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

Thanks Chris that's a big help. Scot might be able to supple me a gun and a torpedo. 

Adrian

I'm keen to add the torpedo as I'm planning to do one of the planes that attacked Gneisenau in 6 April 1941. I expect they used torpedos. 

I wanted to do an Australian one, but I can't get the decals. I thought I had them, but they turned out to be British ones only. 

Can you give me the dimensions of the cutout for the torpedo.? 

Got home and dug out my plans. I have a few, coolected from books, Britmodeller and the Internet.

So the cutout in 1/72 scale is 8 cm long, starting 2cm from the very front of the fuselage. If you look at your cockpit detailing you can see that it starts where the step up from the navigator position to the pilot position is, and ends just underneath the rear turret. It is 7.5mm wide and offset to PORT by about 1.5mm. The torpedo was hung tail down, so the air tail was completely clear of the fuselage and the nose was mostly out of the airstream. 

The bomb bay is 36mm long, starting 19mm behind the front of the torpedo well and ending 25 mm ahead of the rear of the torpedo well. Although the bomb doors opened during torpedo fitting to allow the crew to attach the torpedo, the outer leaves closed (they were hinged in two parts) during flight. The photo here shows the arrangement of the doors underneath when closed - the left side bomb door hinges exactly on the edge of the torpedo opening and the right hand bomb door doesn't seem to, so in theory there could be some extra width there. I've not seen a picture that shows this so I speculate.

I ignored the asymmetric torpedo bay vs bomb bay  and the question of how the front and back parts of the torpedo door folded away in my build. 

All measurements approximate but not far off!

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
Offset to PORT, not Starboard!!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Scott. That 's a good picture. I'm working on the torpedo housing at the moment.  It is a bit tricky , however I will get there. 

Thanks for sending me the torpedo and gun. This is a great help and will keep me on track to the finishing line. 

Chris

Thanks that's a good view  do you have a top and side view?

Adrian thanks for the info. I  have cut the fuselage as suggested. 

• Like 3