Miles Master In Three Flavours, F340, Two finished, one for another day

AdrianMF

Painting Yellow with a hairy stick?? I’d rather poke my eyes out with sharp implements! Do yourselves a favour and spray on a white base first and whilst your at it spray the yellow on thereafter. Perhaps a Humbrol aerosol can may be a solution without having to resort to a full airbrush set up. 

Now having said all that (and I wasn’t meaning to sound smart) we all know that Adrian’s end result will be spectacular, but the lead up process must be so painful. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Do yourselves a favour and spray on a white base first and whilst your at it spray the yellow on thereafter.

The best yellow has a grey undercoat. It really makes the finished yellow zing. White leaves it weak looking.

There's a very good halfords can for trainer yellow.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, smellybeard said:

The best yellow has a grey undercoat. It really makes the finished yellow zing. White leaves it weak looking.

There's a very good halfords can for trainer yellow.

I haven’t tried grey under yellow, however I like things that Zing so might actually give that a try. It’s a little hard to imagine, however happy to take your word for it and see what’s the end result. I suspect a light grey suits best, is there any particular shade of grey that you can recommend? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

is there any particular shade of grey that you can recommend? 

Not too dark but not too light either.

I started to understand yellows in Photoshop and seeing that no matter how saturated it was, it always had a lemony weakness to it. Reddening it made it peachy without adding any strength. You need to darken it and slightly desaturate it to get that depth. It sounds completely counterintuitive.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Er and now eight coats.... the end is in sight....

So this might be a good place to refer you back to your post number 11 & my post number 12 and for me to say your idea of building AOOB & mine differ significantly, although they are turning out to be rather tasty, as they usually do.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Busted!

Again!!

Aw, c’mon, it’s only a teeny weeny bit of Milliput...

Regards,

Adrian

Do you think you could actually build something OOB?  Have you, I was going to say ever, but lets say in the last ten years, built anything OOB?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Spaddad, I give you the Revell X-15.

I cut off the integral nosewheel door from the front undercarriage leg and substituted the closed one as it was less clunky, and I did add the little flap on the door. So, er, no but I was trying!

Regards,

Adrian

Good effort, very close to OOB. I'd challenge you to do a completely OOB but I know when I'm beat.

• Haha 2

I’m going away for work for a week but I wanted to get started on the upper camouflage before I went. I still have to fix the canopy, add the aerial and make an engine vent but I could do the wavy leading edge masking:

3-FAF98-AB-3-BDE-4-ADF-9-B5-A-B84-C46-CE

0-E5978-EE-28-F9-43-DA-B74-C-BB495-FB534

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Johnson said:

Very nice. Never knew that the RAF did wavy demarcation, but this GB has been very informative. And I like the landing lights. 

Thanks Charlie. A quick google image search for "Miles Master II" shows loads of wavy lines. I wonder if the wavy leading edge border was just a Miles thing. The landing lights are wine bottle foil punched out with a leather punch, rubbed over a paintbrush end to get the dome effect. I'm a recent convert to using clear sellotape for the cover. The light recess is all sealed up so it doesn't collect dust on the sticky inside (so far).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

Well going away for work is a PITA a lot of the time but sometimes you get a spare day in a good spot. This time it is Dayton Ohio, home of the US Air Force Museum. Some of the many highlights of today - B36, X-15 And XB-70:

3389-CC19-7-C14-4631-821-F-97-A16-D0-A7-

ACD5335-E-44-AF-4-ED1-A71-D-1-BA9-CA20-C

I make that three aeroplanes, seventeen engines and an average speed of Mach 3-and-a-bit.

I’m glad I didn’t go with silver drop tanks on my X-15 build now.

Regards,

Adrian

Edited by AdrianMF
Maths error
  • Like 12

42 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

going away for work is a PITA

Yes, work can really get in the way, but looks as if you've landed in a good spot! Reminds me of when I used to go to Washington DC for work... home of the NASM !

• Like 1

That’s not work... that’s called a Junket!! I suppose being away from home can be annoying, however this time things appear to be favourable to say the least. 

Cheers and nice photographs.. Dave 

• Like 2