Question about Argentine Air Force during WW2

28ZComeback

Greetings, 

I have researched the Argentine Air Force and reviewed their order of battle and inventory including the G.55, Curtiss Hawk III and Mohawk. Did any miscellaneous types find their way into Argentina from either the Axis powers or the Allies? I am aware of the single Spitfire, the FW. 44’s and the Lancasters. For example, did Argentina obtain any Ju-52’s or similar transport types that do not appear in official records.  Thank you very much

Edited by 28ZComeback

I think four Curtiss CT-32 Condor were used as trasport plane till late 1940s. 

http://linea-ala.blogspot.com/2010/07/curtiss-condor-en-la-aviacion-naval.html

54aa1d1803105a04c55e8b93ea36988a.jpg

Argentine produced few own types also

At the bottom of page quoted above there are links to use of many types, most of Allies WWII type were used after the war I belive

Cheers

J-W 

• Thanks 1

For a long time, there has been a 1/48 kit of the Northrop 8A (A-17) due for imminent release.  The related book recently got a release date so the kit might come out during our lifetimes.  Lone Star Models have announced a future re-release of their resin 1/48 Martin B-10, although some changes to the cowlings and nacelles would be needed for the 139WAA

Edited by jimmaas
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, jimmaas said:

For a long time, there has been a 1/48 kit of the Northrop 8A (A-17) due for imminent release.  The related book recently got a release date so the kit might come out during our lifetimes. 

In Rumourmonger section there is about new Northrop A 17/ Douglad DB8 kit in 1:48

Cheers 

J-W

• Thanks 1

Copy from Wiki:

Only one example of Hurricane Mk.IV, serial KW908, arrived in 1947 as a present from the British Government to the Argentines. The aeroplane was packed in 27 boxes and arrived to Buenos Aires on August '47 aboard the ship SS Durango. On 7 July of that year the aircraft was on public display in an exhibition mounted in one of the main squares of Buenos Aires, with other airplanes like a Lancaster and Fiat G55. In autumn of that year was sent to a flight school of the Argentinian Air Force located in Córdoba, where was painted the national insignia and repainted their camouflage colours; it is known that remained there until the early '60s.

modelldoc

• Like 1

That is a very interesting scheme on the Hurricane. Given that the Argentines were developing Pulquii jet fighters at the time, and that the Russians were offering MiG-15’s, the gift of the Hurricane surely caused amusement.

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, modelldoc said:

Copy from Wiki:

Only one example of Hurricane Mk.IV, serial KW908, arrived in 1947 as a present from the British Government to the Argentines. The aeroplane was packed in 27 boxes and arrived to Buenos Aires on August '47 aboard the ship SS Durango. On 7 July of that year the aircraft was on public display in an exhibition mounted in one of the main squares of Buenos Aires, with other airplanes like a Lancaster and Fiat G55. In autumn of that year was sent to a flight school of the Argentinian Air Force located in Córdoba, where was painted the national insignia and repainted their camouflage colours; it is known that remained there until the early '60s.

modelldoc

this is the only known pic I believe

pic_86.jpg

• Thanks 1