Duxford Air Festival, May 2019 (Sunday images added)

Hi

Here are a few of my favourite images from a very pleasant and varied season opener at Duxford.

o-o-JfhWkUWO68Muh2-fDGEbTrmgdM6pGoi7NySe

xRqOODwz6gTcsPiK_fmjzfALkJ3dU4kZBpD6xpIr

9ZTN1KbwsC0kKluqf-7CHdovNfG4GbQviU_Ar-ee

AeyM-jyjwAKEAy5IE2Rzx9vbGj6CUyGQ4qOLv12v

vpV7mqi-0AM-hU-IwcTzW3nXdUTXIF7zm2Dqe7SF

lg_iM3-ISbRqLOnVUiQHIkeTkvbb5CSP6WiNhf76

_QqoFKtvevR5AxT4qQL0VKHhcnvqTtCLxmLpy5YU

kuYCxnu5VCk6U348Q33njFD0NCqacAC_kierEVaO

ion0uL263W3GRe1mhzOq5AG5c6_ZQzLKhj_M2d3H

3_N_kAn5w59kavhYwnNeQt434PLuEleAO0R_0vW5

qhkSDymFKjlzbUX7YJnSVaZM6hrwvAkd1lTlfDUB

YlgiVy9uKu5FrzQotNSEnXl4L4K801kJkDPR9SwZ

-LgiqY7fT4I6sFcZRqBAFAl8VAbhcKOwBD1JMp0y

PFKVAhMQhzUcBzPuj7WOlTG_8qQ4CkVMJOrmZq5O

DwhM3_5VnhMX5q0O7ycsutKikON0UO0QOrakpc0y

dsnabzY9rdF_-pvl4-m5MOM4eXILZ6SgwA4m1KPu

QyQ_pHWDYyXQ4tdAvk9bscsDUTseb_ym1MBRp0qu

w1QFYbfzDUHY6p9RdKaHECcCrWShnsWKlkJlNwTJ

NqtzBFIVFitRTzboYUo1f1MA2XiCN6vBnZhAB-ML

udefYUeT34TdtOnyqidT3zxZ6i3dvvm33E61-wrK

-QVx8eNCP6aBZD8ybruE7cxJNsQjcJXUOZEC0prb

22z3AoszNxlRdMs25G7dI7isXkFVyqXtuOYUjVEu

Thanks for looking.

I'm back tomorrow, but the weather forecast is rather different!

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

I was there - but didn't see much of the displays. so thanks for posting the pictures (I was on the Bloodhound Education stand in one of the hangers).  By luck or design, we were next to the Typhoon that probably donated its engines to the Land Speed Record project)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Anthony Kesterton said:

I was there - but didn't see much of the displays. so thanks for posting the pictures (I was on the Bloodhound Education stand in one of the hangers).  By luck or design, we were next to the Typhoon that probably donated its engines to the Land Speed Record project)

Hi Anthony. I'm sure that your location was meticulously planned by IWM! I wondered where the engines for the Bloodhound project came from. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the pictures. 

I'm presently sitting in my car near the Land Warfare Hall, as despite arriving before 08.00, the area between the American Air Museum and Land Warfare Hall seems to be reserved for disabled badge holders (which is fine). I estimate that the area was less than 1/3 full yesterday. One of the unhappy visitors was told that the change was made for H&S reasons, to separate pedestrians from vehicles...

IWM seem to have an uncanny knack for alienating their loyal customers!

1 hour ago, Parabat said:

Great photos, as you say, some varied aircraft. Very nice to see these.

Thanks Parabat. I'm pleased you enjoyed them. The weather today is rather different, and there was fine drizzle as the show opened with a flypast by two F-15Es, accompanied by a Mustang and Thunderbolt, that were just about in the same county!

Looked good. Just bought my tickets for the great Dakota event for the upcoming D-Day event. Hope the weather is good for that. 

Quite surprisingly, the wife is to coming  along.  I think mainly for the fact her  late father took part back then as a member of the RAF Servicing Commandos.

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Looked good. Just bought my tickets for the great Dakota event for the upcoming D-Day event. Hope the weather is good for that. 

Quite surprisingly, the wife is to coming  along.  I think mainly for the fact her  late father took part back then as a member of the RAF Servicing Commandos.

Thanks Paul. Unfortunately, the weather today was a real contrast to yesterday, with drizzle and also some heavy showers. Consequently, I didn't take many pictures and decided to leave early!

I hope your wife enjoys the Dakota event. Two North American DC-3s, C-47s, C-54s or Dakotas (whatever!) Have already arrived at Duxford.

I will post a few shots of the static display black Martin-Baker Meteor and a few of today's flying shots this evening. 

Great photos, Alpha Delta 210 ...

I took advantage on Saturday of the IWM Premium Members’ marquee.  OK for flying shots but not for on-the-ground ones.  I guess you were in the vicinity of the Airspace hangar?

You might have missed the spectacle of Duxford’s own fire brigade dealing with the aftermath of the Apache’s demonstration?  The pyrotechnics used seemed to have set the grass alight so the fire engines and crews zoomed out to deal with it

All in all a great show, and good weather.  I was hoping to see the Piston Provost (I’ve had the  MikrMir 1/48 lit in the stash for some time) on the flightline walk but it didn't  show, unfortunately.  The ‘Bader Bus Company’ show was good, as was the nine-ship ‘Moth’ show (eight Tigers plus a Puss Moth).  The Blades were something else but I don’t think I’ll take up the offer of a flight with them!!!!

I’m slightly doubtful of IWM’s apparent decision to outsource ticket sales, etc.  - we had to queue while the woman at the check in booth from the carpark scanned all entry tickets and ’add ons’ such as our flightline walk tickets and issue tokens for the latter ... on arrival at the flightline walk we exchanged the tokens for paper tickets, and then handed those in before entering the flightline.  I queried this rather labour intensive operation and was told it was for ‘security reasons’.  Mercifully the tickets for Daks over Duxford and the HAC evening in June both use the original ticketing.  If I decide to attend Flying Legends I’ll be interested in what arrangements are in place for that.

Thsnks for sharing your photos.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jonny said:

Great photos, Alpha Delta 210 ...

I took advantage on Saturday of the IWM Premium Members’ marquee.  OK for flying shots but not for on-the-ground ones.  I guess you were in the vicinity of the Airspace hangar?

You might have missed the spectacle of Duxford’s own fire brigade dealing with the aftermath of the Apache’s demonstration?  The pyrotechnics used seemed to have set the grass alight so the fire engines and crews zoomed out to deal with it

All in all a great show, and good weather.  I was hoping to see the Piston Provost (I’ve had the  MikrMir 1/48 lit in the stash for some time) on the flightline walk but it didn't  show, unfortunately.  The ‘Bader Bus Company’ show was good, as was the nine-ship ‘Moth’ show (eight Tigers plus a Puss Moth).  The Blades were something else but I don’t think I’ll take up the offer of a flight with them!!!!

I’m slightly doubtful of IWM’s apparent decision to outsource ticket sales, etc.  - we had to queue while the woman at the check in booth from the carpark scanned all entry tickets and ’add ons’ such as our flightline walk tickets and issue tokens for the latter ... on arrival at the flightline walk we exchanged the tokens for paper tickets, and then handed those in before entering the flightline.  I queried this rather labour intensive operation and was told it was for ‘security reasons’.  Mercifully the tickets for Daks over Duxford and the HAC evening in June both use the original ticketing.  If I decide to attend Flying Legends I’ll be interested in what arrangements are in place for that.

Thsnks for sharing your photos.  

Hi Jonny.

I'm pleased you like the pictures.

I've been a Friend of Duxford/Premium Member for many years, but decided to sit at the M11 end yesterday for a change. I was in the Members enclosure today, which provided welcome shelter from the showers! I think that IWM have made some "interesting"  decisions in recent years, and I'm considering letting my membership lapse this year.

A few of the immaculate-looking Martin-Baker 'Meteor 7 1/2' (officially a ‘Meteor Special’) taken yesterday.

SFf9NGAmhr718jMFH-NMJ1WrUf6qIywGk8qQpMdT

5HmrV9j6HrabgP3xo5I1VKb_A2hgnVAVbNX-xg02

nnSrYA_i8BZhHWQdoeVYHbH56b_d2-17HthhGmwI

8CH-j3cJOvfonqWZPT2Qzy9IOdc4GMFlWI6ZeRRh

Obj6TExumq9_axEewp5ufgQKsCWx8MXwGbUGbaog

I thought this looked cool!

uupTzINy4qrQm_To4uxpwCgKrVodniikKkE72H_L

Here are a few from a grey and occasionally wet Sunday:

OWQ3DyNbyVTZrLEOu6PWo--81m8FiX6TuzJYsyR1

LhZFJ7KIRq5V1dZANfn2vFelKKKEpgMNgswiTz16

xxr_EWjUi28T19gKix4zm0Dp6j7W36H8V-gkfrpj

ni9ALt4loAQpkllJixPofgdhAdEvrpEhX5TQmDLh

en10YYl215FLYy5FA8GO3cPMBpTa8WrxuyC2J4sV

HzZ8g6tk_R0M2BDHqAxeFcuVyUTZMG7yU1_TWsO6

L_PySfMws8H605rMxfTbiZoe9jYDWD2JoiRrBqS6

HaVbKBnhHFH0Wv2sAHpGhnl1ECIFghMxBZe9Omhn

ZoGnuU9wmhIfEIfyP8MZzeHb8StgBRdfyib6Md8U

jXRWoq55iao3bypWWQZURkBwyU9NPQxWTcpPvgeP

Pyrotechnics

pr9Oc1E_F4t5nXVK2bpGmGx30yh0Vu0Ijj_fbJb6

RAWPJSShhjVqZh63FpN3Hy-nKGaRdMAmPXv11YK-

Ed7zPECyOyFJ05uzzjsbbVslE-QltEX5gwrAEmGy

The aftermath of the pyrotechnics!

422M5B-zejZlfYuTyuh7WDavfJulnc01L3PmWmSQ

Thanks for looking.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Excellent shots. Nice to see "Sally B/Memphis Belle". Was lucky to see her one year on Memorial Day at Maddingley before they were no longer invited.

Uhhmm, I suppose the Chinook Team guys don't let their wives use that Disco for the school runs!😉

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MR2Don said:

Excellent shots. Nice to see "Sally B/Memphis Belle". Was lucky to see her one year on Memorial Day at Maddingley before they were no longer invited.

Uhhmm, I suppose the Chinook Team guys don't let their wives use that Disco for the school runs!😉

Thanks MR2Don, I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

No, they probably wouldn't, as the Captain of HMS Ark Royal has discovered to his cost....

1 hour ago, HOUSTON said:

STUNNING photography and GORGEOUS photos.. 

Always a pleasure to see your photos!

Thank you for sharing them.

Hope you are well . :)

:clap2:

Hey Houston!

Great to hear from you. I'm very well, thank you.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm pleased that you like the pictures from the weekend.

31 minutes ago, speedy said:

It’s the JPs’ for me. Thanks AD for taking those. Now where’s those FLY kits.

Steve.

Hi Steve. I'm pleased you liked the images of the JPs. They put on a very graceful display. I look forward to seeing your Fly models!😉

6 hours ago, canberraman said:

Another great set of shots from what looks a good show and blessed with nice weather. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Mark. Thanks for the kind words. The weather was kind on Saturday, but I got drenched on Saturday in a heavy shower!