Classic Airframes deHavilland Hornet F.3, Finished at last!

Thanks David!

I've painted the insides of the nacelles and gear bay dull aluminium now, so I hope I'll be able to finish detail painting and weathering this area during the weekend.

Can't wait to finish major construction!

It's definitely character building to secure the landing gear at this stage ...I'm getting a wee bit nervous about how to mask this,

As I said, that MLG and gear bay has been painted Vallejo Metallic Dull aluminium which highlighted a curious fact. If you lay that paint down wet, then youll get a VERY shiny variant!

Not Dull at all 😅

48619043261_12c34b741f_o.jpg

Some plumbing from both side of the little oiltank for inverted flying was added. That little piece lead was quite hard and had a nasty tendency to snap off the tank when trying to  bend the proper shapes. I must've used and old CA glue that wasn't the most durable.
48618692378_bd9323df9a_o.jpg

No turning back now!

It's finally time to marry the nacelles to the wing.
48619190152_94290ddf0b_o.jpg
A suitable amount of brute force  solve that, and the gaps seems manageable. 

Then I just needed to connect the main oiltank to the small one, and we have a working system.
48619190097_5c5a5c8c52_o.jpg

Sort of...

Anyway, now it's time for more filler and add those wing tip lights.

• Like 6

Good job on the undercarriage and bays.

Referring to your last image, remember there is a slatted vent in the underside of the wing between the leading edge intake and the engine nacelle (in both outer wings). When on the ground this is opens and provides air for the Merlin through the air filter. Only when the aircraft is flying and the undercarriage is raised will this vent close and the leading edge intake will rotate open.

Thanks David!

It's the first time I've heard anything about this vent. I didn't see anything about it the Airframes book, but I haven't looked for this information either.

Perhaps you have some picture or two showing the concerned area?

17 hours ago, Christer A said:

Thanks David!

It's the first time I've heard anything about this vent. I didn't see anything about it the Airframes book, but I haven't looked for this information either.

Perhaps you have some picture or two showing the concerned area?

Hi Christer A,

You can see these underwing vents on the sixth and seventh images in my RFI thread:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989551-dh-sea-hornet-nf21-vw957/

Once you know where they are, take a closer look at underside photographs and you can spot them.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished!

48739064197_772047d13c_o.jpg

Well, not really...

We just tested the 3D printer at work with a suitable Hornet 3D model that we found on Shapeways (I think it was). The scale is roughly 1:154 but as you can see the resolution of our printer is bad. Hideously so.

Back to the real Hornet model then 😎

I scribed the vents using best guesses from my references.

48739064297_40b1958b14_o.jpg

Today's session of filling and sanding the wings were hopefully the last one for a while. A new set of sanders made short work of everything though, so now it's less of a chore than before.

Also, I added the wing tip lights from clear sprue

48738880736_f76e642680_o.jpg

But looking in the book, it's quite clear that the rearwards facing lamp does not in any way look like the on on the real aircraft

Well, I guess I'll sand it of then and try do to something about them later.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Over the weekend I manged to clear some large and worrying hurdles. First of was that Vac-formed canopy...
48776992261_066987ee9b_o.jpg
After quite a lot of cutting with scissors and generous amounts of sanding I have something that surely looks like a workable canopy. Woohoo!
I wonder If I should make an effort to create an open hood or if that is to invite failure...

While I ponder that, I took another leap of faith and stuck the wings on.
48777156222_fd14ee5f24_o.jpg
This looked to be a tricky effort so I decided to glue the top half first, and get that in the proper angle. When focusing on that I managed to avoid major gaps on the top! Another easy victory!

That white piece on the spine is a replacement for the reinforcement stringer that runs there. My overeager sanding sort of obliterated the molded piece and I was forced to patch it up with some plastic sheet. Hopefully it will look good under some primer.
After a suitable amount of hardening (Tamiya green cap is very fast!) I did a barrel roll with some suitable sounds and checked the underside.
Left wing looks ok:
48776992411_23cb148573_o.jpg

Added some more Tamiya green cap and forced the cooler part in place. Due to my carving of the outlet part this was a bit more flimsy than intended, but it got in place properly in the end.

Then I focused on the right side.
48776992431_6121db9dd6_o.jpg
Oh dear. Here is a quite big step toward the wing root. Clever people would off course noticed this BEFORE committing to glue and added some guide tabs accordingly , but that's not my modus operandi.  

What to do then?

Make few holes off course!
48776991811_c5c6faef52_o.jpg
With these holes and a tool nicked from the dentists office (you know those horrible scraping tools for removing calculus from your teeth) I was able to pull up the wing long enough for some CA-glue to harden it in the proper location.
I broke off the tool though, but I guess I can always go to the dentist and ask for new ones.

Now I just need to fill those two holes, but that shouldn't be too complicated.

Back to the wings and the wing tips lights. I sanded the clear piece to shape but:
48777156357_8612b892ec_o.jpg
Dang it! I drilled the "lamp" too deep, so now it is a hole in the glass.

Ok, break it off, and redo the whole thing then. Both sides were equally bad too...

and I really should do something about the rearwards facing lamp too, since it doesn't look anything like CA has molded it!

• Like 4

Hello Christer,

Put a drop of crystal clear in the hole and it's done....

Guess how I know it...:whistle:

Now she really look like a Hornet !! Real nice work on the canopy too !!

Well done Man !!

CC

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

It's been a while since my last update on this little bugger, but it's not dead!

In fact, it starts to bloom again thanks to the current pandemic. I've managed to spray some Xtracrylix PRU blue on the bottom:
49755993378_c416677944_o.jpg

But an uniform coat is a bit boring, so I went back at it again with a lightened color and just sprayed a bit wild.
49755989223_677a533a2c_o.jpg

That should do it for a well used Kai Tak machine!
Fun fact; I did the touch up this week and the spring sun was VERY varm. So warm in fact the Xtracrylix started to goey in the airbrush. Even though it was properly thinned it had a consistency more akin to what you paint your ceilings with.
That did not make it easier to paint....

Fortunately no incidents with the model.
I also nicked a gun sight from an Eduard Spitfire that more or less looked the same as the real deal.
49756516556_1d7e17f3ef_o.jpg

At the rear ofthe cockpit opening was a nasty groove so I had to resort to some sprue-goop to fill it, thereyby getting a rounded cockpit sill for free.

Time to dip the canopy and mask it, then it's finally off to the paint shop.

There a few tiny details still left to do, like the tail wheel. It's supposed to of the anti-shimmy type but CA have only provided a smooth one.

I reckon any attempt to scratch-build that would look like 15 miles of bad road, so instead I started to think. I have no spares from Mosquitos, but I seem to remember that the Hawker Tempest has that kind of tailwheel.

tail-wheel-1-jpg.65345

Since I'm using Sea Fury wheels I could always add a tempest tailwheel, to keep the rubber in the family so to speak.

Fortunately I have a Eduard Royal Class Tempest, which includes resin wheels, even for the tail. That means that the plastic ones are free!

It was slightly larger in diameter, but a bit of filing sorted that out.
49755989348_33b5b1602d_o.jpg

The biggest obstacle left to deal with now is the landing gear doors.
49755989323_8e16e674e8_o.jpg
Very thick, no details and I must also adjust the length.

Oh well....

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Christer A said:

It's been a while since my last update on this little bugger, but it's not dead!

In fact, it starts to bloom again thanks to the current pandemic. I've managed to spray some Xtracrylix PRU blue on the bottom:
49755993378_c416677944_o.jpg

But an uniform coat is a bit boring, so I went back at it again with a lightened color and just sprayed a bit wild.
49755989223_677a533a2c_o.jpg

That should do it for a well used Kai Tak machine!
Fun fact; I did the touch up this week and the spring sun was VERY varm. So warm in fact the Xtracrylix started to goey in the airbrush. Even though it was properly thinned it had a consistency more akin to what you paint your ceilings with.
That did not make it easier to paint....

Fortunately no incidents with the model.
I also nicked a gun sight from an Eduard Spitfire that more or less looked the same as the real deal.
49756516556_1d7e17f3ef_o.jpg

At the rear ofthe cockpit opening was a nasty groove so I had to resort to some sprue-goop to fill it, thereyby getting a rounded cockpit sill for free.

Time to dip the canopy and mask it, then it's finally off to the paint shop.

There a few tiny details still left to do, like the tail wheel. It's supposed to of the anti-shimmy type but CA have only provided a smooth one.

I reckon any attempt to scratch-build that would look like 15 miles of bad road, so instead I started to think. I have no spares from Mosquitos, but I seem to remember that the Hawker Tempest has that kind of tailwheel.

tail-wheel-1-jpg.65345

Since I'm using Sea Fury wheels I could always add a tempest tailwheel, to keep the rubber in the family so to speak.

Fortunately I have a Eduard Royal Class Tempest, which includes resin wheels, even for the tail. That means that the plastic ones are free!

It was slightly larger in diameter, but a bit of filing sorted that out.
49755989348_33b5b1602d_o.jpg

The biggest obstacle left to deal with now is the landing gear doors.
49755989323_8e16e674e8_o.jpg
Very thick, no details and I must also adjust the length.

Oh well....

Hi Christer,

Nice to see your Hornet is progressing well.

As an alternative to the Tempest tail wheel if it's too different in size, the correct anti-shimmy tail wheel for a Hornet is actually the same tyre and wheel fitted to the DH Vampire and Venom nose wheel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

A

On 10/04/2020 at 15:14, mike romeo said:

Great progress, Christer!  Looks like you'll have a fantastic Hornet on the shelf in no time.

Regards

Martin

Thanks!

This "no time" seems to not have happened though...

On 10/04/2020 at 22:54, David A Collins said:

Hi Christer,

Nice to see your Hornet is progressing well.

As an alternative to the Tempest tail wheel if it's too different in size, the correct anti-shimmy tail wheel for a Hornet is actually the same tyre and wheel fitted to the DH Vampire and Venom nose wheel.

Thank David!

It makes a  lot of sense that deHavilland reused tires like that. Sadly, my supply of those extras are  non existant.

Well, I was going to finish up a few things on my Tornado over in the Tonka GB but I felt it was more fun to actually paint something since the stars aligned.

So, without further ado  I set out to paint Dark Sea Grey.

50600215468_162eb259cd_o.jpg

What do you mean that it's just a grey mess? I promise, this is Gunze Dark Sea Gray, faded with a Medium Sea Grey on top over a grey primed wing.

Hmm, maybe it's time to get a better camera...

Instead of splashing out a stately sum for that, I brought forth my trusty Masking putty and set to work.

50600215403_5eaa00235d_o.jpg

Dark green courtesy of Mission Models, also lightened a bit.

The goo was removed and a nice coat of clear added and I arrived here:

50601116132_f76ea69d73_o.jpg

50600996666_39a22ebe57_o.jpg

I wonder if it will take more  than 6 months to put on the decals?

• Like 6

Ok, main painting is done,  and it seems that I do not have to do any touchups of the main colors.

However, to leave the rudder masked for 7 months with no protective clear coat was not a bright idea!

The Mission models Medium Sea Grey reacted quite a lot with the tape:

50627915827_d8123b8c8a_o.jpg
Neat weathering effect, but not what I'm after, so that needed a repaint.

Then I had a go with the decals.
50627915812_0e885ac375_o.jpg

50627915767_01a3712796_o.jpg

50627915737_58a560d705_o.jpg

With just the major one present on the sheet and no stencils to speak of this was quite and easy task.

Extra bonus for not having that many panel lines to conform  to 😃

This now needs a clear coat and then it's tome for more weathering.

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • Christer A changed the title to Classic Airframes deHavilland Hornet F.3, Final push!
  • Christer A changed the title to Classic Airframes deHavilland Hornet F.3, Finished at last!