Italeri 1/48 Tornado IDS

Hi All

Sharing my recently completed Tornado built from the Italeri 1/48 IDS "Black Panthers kit built into a GR1 from No 31 Sq based in Bruggen, Germany 1991. OOB apart from Pavla Resin Seats.

Not one of my greatest models but posting as a sense of perseverance as this has nearly made it to the bin several times, mainly through my own incompetence but at least I've learned a lot along the way. I had planned to do a wrap round camo GR1 but made a mess of the camo as I tried to use Maskol, lesson learnt I cant get on with the stuff so its photocopied paper masks for me in future now Ive got the hang of the copier at work. i also has a problem with the final matt coat, I ended up with white patches, the only thing i can think of is I should have cleaned up after Microsol & Microset.

Need to add a pitot as I seem to have lost the kit one at the eleventh hour

Anyway its made it here and not to landfill, I'm reasonably happy with it and like I said I've learnt a lot along the way.

Hope you enjoy, thanks for looking 

Darren

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 32

That has ended up as a very good looking GR.1, nice work!

I think the greater achievement is actually finishing this kit. I built the same kit a while back and it was quite a challenge. For some reason it is very easy to just slightly 'warp' or twist the fuselage and suddenly nothing seems to fit. The first one nearly hit the bin (like yours) and a more recent Italeri Tornado F.3 did end up there! So you are not alone and again, a great looking result.

Michael

• Like 1

Hi mate

your model looks very good so far, but it would be look very great if you go outside for photographing, or you choose better day light lamps in your room, just an advise, not personally critiszm.

• Thanks 1

Looks great to me. I had a similar problem with extensive and horrible lookibg white 'blooming' after I used tamiya matt coat on a model recently (also a tornado funnily enough). A quick coat of gloss clear coat as advised on here cured it then matt coated again no problem. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2019 at 11:49 AM, Harry Callahan said:

Hi mate

your model looks very good so far, but it would be look very great if you go outside for photographing, or you choose better day light lamps in your room, just an advise, not personally critiszm.

Thanks for the tip Harry, I'll give it a go in future

Darren

• Like 1