Wessex tail rotors - confused

dad's lad

So after years of being informed that Italeri had their 1/72 Wessex tail rotors rotating the wrong way, which all images appeared to validate, I was confused to find this image https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/142493 which shows the rotor rotating counter-clockwise as Italeri would have it.

I understand that this is an HAS.1 Wessex so wondered if the rotation was specific to this mark but a quick Google doesn't show any other HAS.1's so fitted.

Any ideas why this particular airframe appears to be unique? 

If I remember correctly, if was originally that way as that was how the h34 had them. Westland changed in during upgrades as they found better control the other way.

Rio

I don't think that XS876 ever flew in that configuration.  The aircraft was struck off in 1980 and then went to various ground establishments, either in storage or used as a training facility.   Here is a photo of  XS876[523] as a non-flying display in 1987, when it still had the original correct tail unit.  In 1996 it was moved to HMS Sultan, Gosport, for use at the RN Air Engineering and Survival School (AESS) and it is there that I suspect the tail unit was changed out; possibly as a training task, or to release the correct tail unit for use elsewhere.  The aircraft had a couple more moves, including to the School of Aircraft Handling at RNAS Culdrose,  before it was moved again in 1998, by road to RNAS Portland for that station's closing ceremony.  It was repainted and finished as "523/PO" for that ceremony which was probably the only time in those markings.  Returned back to the SAH Culdrose, where it was sold later that year to Air & Ground  Aviation, Hixon, Staffs.  In 2003 it went to the East Midlands Aeropark where, I understand, it has slowly deteriorated.

HTH

Mike

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bootneck said:

I don't think that XS876 ever flew in that configuration.  The aircraft was struck off in 1980 and then went to various ground establishments, either in storage or used as a training facility.   Here is a photo of  XS876[523] as a non-flying display in 1987, when it still had the original correct tail unit.  In 1996 it was moved to HMS Sultan, Gosport, for use at the RN Air Engineering and Survival School (AESS) and it is there that I suspect the tail unit was changed out; possibly as a training task, or to release the correct tail unit for use elsewhere.  The aircraft had a couple more moves, including to the School of Aircraft Handling at RNAS Culdrose,  before it was moved again in 1998, by road to RNAS Portland for that station's closing ceremony.  It was repainted and finished as "523/PO" for that ceremony which was probably the only time in those markings.  Returned back to the SAH Culdrose, where it was sold later that year to Air & Ground  Aviation, Hixon, Staffs.  In 2003 it went to the East Midlands Aeropark where, I understand, it has slowly deteriorated.

HTH

Mike

Thanks Mike, a very comprehensive answer. I did wonder about a non-flying configuration.

28 Sqn had one like that in Feb '82 and it flew... Briefly. (but came back quick as the gearbox was still going in the other direction). 

When it came back in the blades were a bit mangled and twisted, and later so was the SAC in the blade bay who had fitted them the wrong way round.  Tech Charge anyone?

Edited by hendie
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, hendie said:

28 Sqn had one like that in Feb '82 and it flew... Briefly. (but came back quick as the gearbox was still going in the other direction). 

When it came back in the blades were a bit mangled and twisted, and later so was the SAC in the blade bay who had fitted them the wrong way round.  Tech Charge anyone?

Does happen, no often but it happens😂

Any ex Sea King guys remember the 707 cab that had one out of six blades fitted the wrong way round😬 The AEM fitted it, the PO sup’ed it and the Chief NAM’ed it (from the comfort of the crew room it was reported) The pilot did his pre ground run and still they ran it, scratch one blade for delamination. 

• Sad 2

That was the good thing about working in the Aircraft Servicing Flight.

There was always another cab to check if you were unsure about anything.

The other way was to check the Vol' 3, the parts manual. But that wasn't always correct either.

• Haha 1