Grumman A6A Intruder (F272) +++Finally finished ++

Redstaff

Good evening fellow Froggers 

Seeing as everyone is getting excited and posting their intended builds, I thought I'd follow suit and put my name in with a Frog Grumman A6A Intruder, F272 from 1970 to start with

Seeing how time goes I may do a Vampire FB5 and Meteor IV as well as I don't think they are going to be long drawn out builds :) 

Pics now uploaded, now Flikr has got it's act together :) 

Ian :) 

20190525_165913_resized

20190525_170150_resized

• Like 11

Welcome aboard the Frog Express Redstaff and glad we've wound you up into a lather of excitement. 

That does look like a very neat, tidy and crisp kit and it's great to see it's been kept in excellent condition. It's almost a shame to build it!! 

Cheers and looking forward to your progress.. Dave 

• Like 3

Careful Dave, you are showing Collector symptoms there.

Mind you, I agree that the kit looks to be a stunning example as it sits. Fifty odd years old and looking like it came out the factory last week. Sit the built model alongside the box and instructions, add a couple of tins of vintage paint and a tube of glue and you are talking my kind of build here!

I really like the way the sky has been painted, it reminds me of sixties American car adverts.

Tony.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Made a start on this as well while the glue sets on the vampire

Made up the weapons and tanks and have glued the fuselage halves together, no mean feat seeing as they touched at both ends with a 4mm gap in the middle 😲 lots and lots of tape holding it together then a go over with extra thin tomorrow for strength

At least the upper and lower wing halves went together well :) 

Pics later when I can upload some

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Pat

Not touched anything for over 2 weeks now with one thing and another, going to try and get back on track this week again :) 

Ian 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Hi Pat

Not touched anything for over 2 weeks now with one thing and another, going to try and get back on track this week again :) 

Ian 

Hi Ian

I am much the same unfortunately especially now I'm away with the Jockney clan on holiday. Great to hear from you and look forward to seeing you show this kit who's boss !

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat

Still not touched anything for a few weeks with one thing and another, just don't seem to have any spare time at all lately, don't know where it all seems to have gone

Must try and knock the dust off them and get back in the saddle so to speak

Ian

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of hours free this afternoon after the rugby, so managed to get the wings and tailpanes fitted and held in hopefully the right place

Looks like I've got plenty of filling to do all round this kit as the fits are awful

Going to make a concerted effort to finish this with my limited time available at the minute, as it's the only one being built.  The other build of the vampire will probably fall by the wayside though as there are another 2 being built and I've totally lost my mojo with it as it's so small I'm struggling with it due to my aging eyes and sausage fingers. I knew there was a reason I didn't build in 72nd scale any more 

Ian

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I'm struggling with it due to my aging eyes and sausage fingers. I knew there was a reason I didn't build in 72nd scale any more

An optivisor might help the eyesight but not sure whats the cure for sausage fingers I’m afraid! Don’t worry about the Vampire, good to hear you’re soldiering on with the A-6 though. 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm going to get to the end with the Intruder as I managed an hour last night and managed to get into primer this morning :) 

Decided to go totally retro and build it as I would have as a 10 year old and assemble then paint after as I'm going to be tight on time, finish won't be how I  would like, but time isn't a friend lately 🤔

Hopefully have another blitz tomorrow to get top coats on then pick out details and add undercarriage and canopy during the week

20190831_131057_resized 20190831_131027_resized

• Like 9

Managed to get some top coats on yesterday, so another step forward

Just need to paint the bombs and detailing then decals

Grey looks a bit dark in pics, but not that bad in real life so I'm not worrying

20190902_113248_resized

• Like 7

That looks like a clean and neat kit there Redstaff and I really do like the pugnacious airframe of the A-6.

Like Ray above, this build is quite tempting, but I must resist dragging out my Italeri KA-6D tanker. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That looks like a clean and neat kit there Redstaff and I really do like the pugnacious airframe of the A-6.

Like Ray above, this build is quite tempting, but I must resist dragging out my Italeri KA-6D tanker. 

Cheers.. Dave 

It seems to be a Grumman design house style for planes to have a 'pugnacious airframe'- very elegantly put; I tend to think of them as the 'you looking at me..do you want some then, eh!' school of design. But who'd want to go to war in a plane that was, 'excuse me, do you mind terribly..if it's not too much bother' in its lines?!!

• Like 2

Build this when it first came out but seeing it now has got me thinking about finally building my A6E , EA6A and EA6B Prowler which must have been in my stash for the best part of 20 years.

Looking good.

Pete 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

We haven't had an update from you in a while, have you finished this one and forgot to tell us ?

Hi Pat

No I haven't finished yet, but I've got tomorrow and Monday off work as I've got some floating days to use up, so watch this space :) 

I have done a little bit more, but not worth an update

Just decals, fit undercarriage and canopy left to do from what I remember

• Like 5

Update as promised :)

Decals now on,waiting for the setting solution to pull them down. Pity the kit ones I had to use are yellowed, but big thanks to @FIGHTS ON who baled me out with the other markings, but the stars are the kit ones. Just a number 2 to put on the tail fin when the green paint that I forgot to paint has dried  😞

Just got to fix on the easily snapped off bits (undercarriage, aerials etc) on Monday as I'm out all weekend playing trains, then I think I can call it done

20191004_153245_resized

20191004_153147_resized

• Like 10