xxx F179 - Blackburn Shark Torpedo-bomber - moving home

Paul821

My second (or is it third) entry here should be the Shark. Yes another bi-plane. I say should be as I have just purchased one on e-bay, so I am assuming it is complete.

The Shark always seemed to me to be the quintessential Frog model, it was an aircraft that I did not know even existed until Frog produced it, Looking at the Scalemates site it came out in 1969 so this would have been one of the last kits I built before I had a short break from modelling between 1969 and 1974.. That break is another story but none of my kits from that earlier period have survived.

Once the kits arrives I will post the normal shots.

Being a glutton for punishment I ma have a third (fourth) bi-plane in this GB. 

• Like 3

Nice choice.  A very good looking plane.

The parts count is alarming! the box is crammed with bits. I've opened mine, gasped a bit, and put the lid back on. I'll be following your build with much interest.

The Blackburn Shark was also one of the first batch of kits released by FROG in  1936 in their Penguin range. I doubt we will see one of those being built here...

I’m sure you will have lots of fun with this one!

Regards,

Adrian

Looking forward to seeing this one come together Paul. I once had this kit in someones elses box, however sold it when I remembered that I wasn't any good at building biplanes! From what I can remember there's quite a few parts to go together to build this kit and I think that freaked me out just as much as the subject itself. We'll be watching on with interest.

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

I've got this Modelcraft re-pop that comes with Canadian and Portuguese markings. I also have another Eastern European release that has some god-awful looking decals that are bad copies of the original FROG decals

47937749322_4eac0dd28c_c.jpg

47937759758_e4c9b9a326_c.jpg

47937759823_162cac5e4b_c.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Looks quite nice Chris @dogsbody - so what are the chances of you joining us on here and seeing this one built? 

Cheers. Dave 

Probably slim to none. The warm weather has finally hit us in the north. I have a lot of yard and garden work to do in the next while. Also, I haven't completed my Airfix Hurricane yet and that's well over a year old now. I don't really do anything too fast except driving.

Chris

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Well fair enough Chris, at least your looking forward to the warmer weather which I might add is the total opposite to where I’m from. I also didn’t know that Canada now possesses Autobahn’s, so please enjoy those rapid  motor car drives in between your more sedate  Hurricane progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This thread had fallen onto page 4 of the GB and the only reason I am making this post is that the Shark has arrived

shark

That the box and transfers are OK is thanks to the e-bay seller I purchased it from. Hermes decided that a "safe place" was in the open air behind some plant pots - it poured with rain this afternoon. Thanks to the seller who packed it well in plastic.

As it is about 50 years since I last built this kit I had forgotten that although the artwork on the front shows a RAF Shark with floats, this is not an option offered on the back on via the decals.

As Chris AKA @bigbadbadge is making such good progress with his build I am putting this on hold for the moment, so I can learn from him. I was thinking about a Vimy as an immediate replacement but I see Chris is thinking of this as well.

Therefore I will complete the Gypsy Moths and Proctor, following these I will decide on the next Frog build . The stash contains three kits which currently are not covered in this GB but I am determined that the Shark will get in the Gallery before the door closes.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

As Chris AKA @bigbadbadge is making such good progress with his build I am putting this on hold for the moment, so I can learn from him. I was thinking about a Vimy as an immediate replacement but I see Chris is thinking of this as well.

Hi Paul

Wow that is very kind of you indeed and I feel humbled of the thought that someone can learn from me on one of my builds. Your comments have really made my day, thank you Paul.  I am definitely no expert and rely heavily on others on BM, which is an amazing site, to complete my builds.

Please feel free to crack on with any build of your choice, re the Vimy, I am not sure I will have the time to do it as well due to work, family life and the loft conversion work that I am still doing. It would be great to see someone build a Vimy and I will, I am sure be asking for advice.

Good luck with what ever kit you want to build, I will watch with interest.

Thanks Paul for the very kind comments

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

fRe the above post - this build is not stagnant - it is maturing and learning from the efforts of others. Before the end of the GB it will mature into something which I hope resembles a Shark rather than a Dog Fish

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

With the Shark being the most popular model in the GB, and my need to get the Moth's, B-47 Vimy and Jaguar over the line I have decided that the Shark will gt built but in the Flying Boat etc.. GB. I will still have @JOCKNEY to chase me there.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes you will Paul... a somewhat persistent little pest that @JOCKNEY is. I can’t say I’ll be doing any floaty wingy things for that GB, however if I happen to look into my stash I do strangely have a Stranraer, Waltus and two Catalinas! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Yes you will Paul... a somewhat persistent little pest that @JOCKNEY is. I can’t say I’ll be doing any floaty wingy things for that GB, however if I happen to look into my stash I do strangely have a Stranraer, Waltus and two Catalinas! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Excellent

I think trying to do all 4 is ambitious but, I can't fault your enthusiasm  😉

cheers Pat

• Like 1