Op Granby Tornado GR1

Jabba

For this Gb I will be using the Revell 1/72 Tornado GR1 kit. I will be making an aircraft from Op Granby in 1991, but this aircraft had a different sharkmouth from the usual one applied to RAF Tornados and sometimes only on the STBD side. I was hoping to make this aircraft using JP233, but from the mission markings and actual pictures that I have found I am not sure if these were carried by this aircraft. I have seen this aircraft carrying some American bombs (I can't remember the designation at the moment), and possibly some BL755s, so this maybe the way that I will go. I will also be getting a replacement nose at some stage, just need to order that.

The kit

resized_ad8ba4b7-43cf-44da-883d-47cf7744

The parts with some extra ones.

resized_2d2361a2-1f2f-44f4-baf0-572d758c

Kit instructions and decals.

resized_afac72c2-c334-4184-ba56-44bb1582

The decals that I am using.

resized_56920b1c-2155-41a9-a2c1-e87fc473

A close up of the sharkmouth.

resized_2f6db0d2-1d25-4f81-a011-d9dd41c2

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a few parts together. I did not add the pylons to the wings one as I do not want the wings to move and secondly they will probably get broken off. It is much easier to add these towards the end of the build. This afternoon a package arrived just in time which includes the new nose and also a set of wing seals for when the wings are in their forward position. So these will be added tonight and construction can then continue.

resized_0ccbd1c8-6f1e-40fd-875a-5458e261

resized_3b2bcbea-524b-4988-91e1-1f4dae63

resized_c41f1298-91bc-4150-91e4-7744d065

resized_cee2a7e3-2a48-44f4-b5ce-242249ca

• Like 2

I have put the rear fuselage together and then joined it to the fwd part. There are a few gaps in this joint which I will fill and sand down before adding some of the other parts. I also left off the tailerons and I think that their inclusion will lead to them being knocked off too easily. I have done this on many other Revell Tornado builds adding a piece of rod in pace of the original part. I have also done a trial fit of the new nose, but I am not sure how this fits so I will leave this off until later in the build, which will also determine whether any weight is required.

resized_6156bbbd-f82c-4fbc-b6c4-d3e79e5f

resized_a36372fd-bf45-4d2d-9928-cd4e0ad8

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I have not forgotten this one, I have been working on it in the background of 2 other builds that I am doing but are causing me a bit of hassle (Or so I thought). Now that one is built I am a bit freer to make a lot more progress. I got the tail on the other 

day but on looking at how it was positioned the next day, I saw that it was not in the correct position leaning over to one side. I then tried to straighten this, but during the process I herd a fair amount of creaking and cracking. No matter how  I tried the tail would not straighten, so in a fit of lost patience (I had also had a bad night on one of the other kits) it literally got thrown around my modelling area a few times. After I had calmed down and then put the wings back into their correct positions, one was slightly forward and loose from its actual position, I had a look at the tail which was now perfectly straight. I do not recommend this procedure to anyone, it just helped me at the time. I will hopefully fit the engines and a few other bits before attempting to fit the new nose.

resized_d91dc822-6f99-4cbd-9a0b-dc584a73

resized_d4c57244-e9be-4a0b-91ea-f0e25763

resized_e2a107d5-c180-4b15-8653-f136331d

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Jabba said:

it literally got thrown around my modelling area a few times. After I had calmed down and then put the wings back into their correct positions, one was slightly forward and loose from its actual position, I had a look at the tail which was now perfectly straight. I do not recommend this procedure to anyone,

Oh why not, Sounds like it could be fun. 😉

• 2 weeks later...

A small update on my progress. I finally got the nose on, it was not a perfect fit, having to remove some plastic from the nose so that the fit was not too bad and then sanding it down around the fit area to make it better. I may not be quite correct, but it is fine for me. I have also fitted the U/C, but I have got one of the main ones slightly askew, but good enough for government work. I also shortened the nose U/C oleo, but I am trying to figure out if the upper Torque Link (The last photo) was fitted to production aircraft. I have seen this item on prototypes and what I think is early production aircraft, but was it on later aircraft? I lost one of the spigots for the front wheels, but a bit of wire should sort this out. I am also trying to find out when this aircraft lost the "Sharkmouth on the Port side, as the only pictures I can find show this already removed, or the STBD side on earlier Ops? I would like to model this aircraft with either BL755s or CBU-87s which were used on later missions. Hopefully I shall start painting soon.

resized_e5755f0b-971c-43d0-9529-0aa3c338

resized_7727d1a6-7059-4716-afe6-d5999823

resized_f1dbe18f-020a-406b-a1dd-bfa6bfd0

resized_463f2058-1b90-43c3-b338-7b58100d

• Like 3

Taking on shape :thumbsup:. Does the front wheel needed to be fitted so early in the build? Looks to be an accident in the making.

Sorry, I can't help you with your questions as I am more at home with WWII stuff.

Cheers, Peter

4 hours ago, Basilisk said:

Taking on shape :thumbsup:. Does the front wheel needed to be fitted so early in the build? Looks to be an accident in the making.

Cheers, Peter

Thank you. The U/C does not really need to be on, I have fitted it now so that the model has something to stand on when I start to apply paint as it is an all-over paint scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick update. Some more paint added, plus I have started to build up some of the pods and fuel tanks. As the BOZ and Skyshadow pods are going to be painted in the same colour as the aircraft I have finished these first. The fuel tanks still require the fins, but these are being added tonight. The fuel tanks were borrowed from the Tornado F3s and as these were Grey the y were repainted in a colour bought locally and was known as Leyland Blush and is a lot lighter than the original Desert Pink colour. Also in the last photo, something that arrived in the post today, the weapons.

resized_bf5402a2-9ab6-4e47-9e53-0febb6fa

resized_4713e9c2-a36f-419e-aa93-206f8b8d

resized_00ea6136-ab32-4cdc-8e08-0f618ef1

resized_5eefb24a-a1c3-4998-9af2-4b44aa37

resized_2d11dc4d-93ec-4239-bf74-c9b55ed6

• Like 2

Managed to get most of the major decals on. Unfortunately the sharkmouth ones around the gunports do not fit that area that well. I did paint these areas before hand so that all I had to do was place the decal over the top of them, but this has not worked out that well as you can sort of see in the last 2 pictures. I think that the decals may have been sized for the Hasegawa kit as this was the main good kit when these decals were produced. I will paint fill these as good ad I can. I also found the decals a little of the fragile side, which again maybe due to their age. I am going to paint out the Port sharkmouth as this is how the aircraft looked from photos that I have seen with the weapons that I am going to fit, but I would still fill paint this so that it looks similar to the Stbd side.

resized_8db08299-6a9f-413c-94c9-a536ff4c

resized_7bad178f-e70d-4202-a3a9-f179abdf

resized_deef769a-736c-44cf-9612-eacb2cbb

resized_ffe38687-1396-4984-a4b9-46e371e8

resized_e54e4bec-cbab-4781-a1f6-30a20896

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrimReaper09 said:

following this build. it's looking great so far. I've just bought an Italeri GR.1 Granby in 1/72 with the aim of doing a XIII Sqn aircraft. Did you find any JP233 in 1/72?

Air Graphics do a set:

https://air-graphics.co.uk/shop?keywords=JP2&olsPage=products%2Fac-030-jp233-runway-denial-weapon-pods

No link or association with them save having purchased a few bits.

Edge

There are several pictures on dstorm.eu, just go to nose art and planes, then follow other links. Here hopefully are a few.

MODs I only meant to put these on as links, but somehow the full picture has come out. If this is wrong please let me know and I will remove them.

za475_2.jpg

za475_3.jpg

za475_4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1