Matchbox Canberra PR9: XH168 58 Squadron RAF Wyton c.1963

spacer.png

This is Matchbox's Canberra PR9 original issue from c.1978.    I built her to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Canberra's maiden flight on May 13, 1949.   The only mods I made were to open up and glaze the front and rear camera ports, add a towel rail type antenna and make the strakes around the rear lower fuselage more obvious (probably too much so).   I added the wing tanks that were spare from a previous Airfix build.

The fit was good except for the engine nacelles which are moulded with separate front and rears and I needed to do a lot of filling to get the joints smooth there.  Decals are the original Matchbox ones.  I didn't weather her as a) I am not very good at it and b) I have a pic showing her looking nice and clean.  The decals are from the kit and held up well after 40+ years.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here she is with my other built Canberras - the silver one on the ground is the Airfix B(I)6 with an uncorrected nose (c.1993), the camo one is Frog(spawn) B(I)8 (c.2008) and the MSG/Black on is the Airfix B(I)6 with a Frog nose grafted on (2018).

spacer.png

David

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Always nice to see a Canberra built David. Make it from a Matchbox kit, add some tanks on and slap on a smooth coat of Silver paint and you’ve got yourself a sharp looking PR.9. 

Thats a nice collection your mustering up there.. what versions next? 

Cheers.. Dave 

7 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Always nice to see a Canberra built David. Make it from a Matchbox kit, add some tanks on and slap on a smooth coat of Silver paint and you’ve got yourself a sharp looking PR.9. 

Thats a nice collection your mustering up there.. what versions next? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks, Dave.   I'll probably build something else first but there's plenty more Canberras in my stash.  All old moulds.  Maybe I'll have to build one of the fugly nose jobs they saddled them with in later life - T22, T17, etc, etc

David

A beautiful model of a beautiful aeroplane.  The kit holds up well considering its age.  The PR.9 always looks so sleek in the silver scheme.  It's a pity that the Canberra display in the UK was so short lived.  Wonder if we'll ever see another take to the skies. It always amazes me how much trouble a modeller has to go to in order to have a 1/72 B.2 in their collection.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

>

It always amazes me how much trouble a modeller has to go to in order to have a 1/72 B.2 in their collection. 

Agreed.  I did have the High Planes one in the stash but sold it and I am trying not to buy more kits so the S+M one is not an option.  I do have an extensive collection of the Aeroclub nose replacements and vac fuselages and that's what I will use for my next one with the bomber nose.

David

• Like 1

Just now, David Womby said:

Agreed.  I did have the High Planes one in the stash but sold it and I am trying not to buy more kits so the S+M one is not an option.  I do have an extensive collection of the Aeroclub nose replacements and vac fuselages and that's what I will use for my next one with the bomber nose.

David

Indeed.  I built the High Planes T.4 but I can't say I enjoyed the experience.  I have the Airfix one too, built as the B(I)6.  The nose is just horrible though. Maybe that's why they converted the tooling to a B-57. Pity really as the rest of the kit is rather nice.  I'd really like some of the S+M kits but they're a bit pricey, especially as I 'need' one in MSG/Black, one in  MSG/DG/PRU Blue and one in HSS.  That's about £150 straight off, without P&P!