Tupolev SB-2 "Katyuska" NOVO Edition - F176 - 1:72 aka Katiuska Finished!

Mjwomack

How about some glazing bars for a Monday morning?

IMG-20190812-075156.jpg 

Pretty pleased with how it turned out, at least the extensive glazing bars hide the frosted canopy! I feel the finishing line (aka Gallery) is in sight. This being the kit it is, the bars are moulded in the wrong places, but hey ho.

• Like 4

On 7/13/2019 at 6:22 PM, Mjwomack said:

Purists look away now!

What I'm really enjoying about this GB is that it's all about enjoying the modelling! Something we've lost a bit. Keep modelling and enjoy the result - we will!

On 7/22/2019 at 10:50 AM, Mjwomack said:

did you see the Sea Fury thread that reminisced about using plastic wood?

That was me! I think plastic wood would still work OK (but it took ages to cure, especially if thick).

Cheers,

• Like 2

Red enough for you?

IMG-20190818-204347.jpg 

The mojo is flagging, and the carpet monster refuses to yield the missing u/c door and now one of the Venturi pipes, so I think it's paint the republican tail markings (the decal is out of register AND wrong colours), a bit of touching up and to the gallery for the weekend. There's a reason I'll never enter a blitzbuild!!!

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

carpet monster refuses to yield the missing u/c door and now one of the Venturi pipes

Carpet monsters are horrible! The smaller and more vital the piece, the less willing they are to relinquish them. 

Keep going - nearly there!

Cheers,

• Like 1

Just catching up on this thread too. It’s so good to see this build being slogged out and would suspect many of us would have thrown in the towel long ago. I feel that with this kit you have started one lap behind, although sometimes the winner is not always the first passed the post! 

Cheers and three ticks for mojo perseverance.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi,

this is when I wish I were color blind!!! 

But I then would miss the most Chrismassy plane I have ever seen! Joke aside, Dave is quite right: persevering with this kit to the end of the build shows that you are made of the sternest stuff.

Completion should indeed be imminent.

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, Johnson said:

Carpet monsters are horrible! The smaller and more vital the piece, the less willing they are to relinquish them. 

Keep going - nearly there!

Cheers,

But a whole under carriage door must surely be a record?

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Just catching up on this thread too. It’s so good to see this build being slogged out and would suspect many of us would have thrown in the towel long ago. I feel that with this kit you have started one lap behind, although sometimes the winner is not always the first passed the post! 

Cheers and three ticks for mojo perseverance.. Dave 

I suspect that most people throwing in the towel just shows that most people have more sense than me😵

• Haha 2

On 8/19/2019 at 12:51 PM, Johnson said:

I don't know about that - my summer builds are in the garage, with a solid floor, and it is surprising how far a piece will bounce and then disappear - probably under an unmovable piece of workbench or shelving. 

By the way @Mjwomack keep up the good work on the SB-2 - it's a kit I built in my youth and for some reason is not one I have been drawn to try again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Paul821 said:

it's a kit I built in my youth and for some reason is not one I have been drawn to try again.

..further evidence that most people have a lot more common sense than me! Though there is the mitigating circumstance that I'd never built a kit before and thought I had the skill to make something of it this time- oh the naivety of middle age!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

But a whole under carriage door must surely be a record?

Ah, well in that case I would suspect that the vacuum cleaner monster may have been involved!

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

syminanimate

Had to Google it. Google wasn't sure! I reckon that syminanimate is a

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

symbiotic relationship

between inanimate objects fed by plastic parts.

• Haha 2

It's still the weekend, and I've finished!

IMG-20190825-202334.jpg 

It looks quite innocuous from this distance, however I'll creep up to it in the morning for photos to the gallery.

It has been a brute, but this GB has been a blast- thanks to everyone for all the support, banter, links etc. Especially to our hosts @JOCKNEY @vppelt68 and @Rabbit Leader

At least this one won't be a contender for the KUTA GB (actually I need more than a KUTA because I've never got as far as 're-registering' a build on it- sums me up really

• Like 9

If the Frog Squad GB, did medals you would have had our biggest and poshest one !

Unfortunately we don't,  so you will have to make do with one of these...

:partytime:

Outstanding job, look forward to seeing the pictures later on

cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hi there,

the end result is quite remarkable indeed. I am secretly very happy to see it finished, because very selfishly it did make my blood pressure reach summits I didn't really care for!

I can only imagine what patience you must have needed to reach the finish line!

Congrats!!!

JR.

• Like 2

As the photos make their way onto postimage and then to the gallery, I'll add an epilogue here.

Frog got pretty much everything wrong on this model, including the name! It was known in Spain at least at the Katiuska; seems this was a Russian character in a popular light opera of the time. Not that there's been anything light about this model! But as I've said, without the help of the internet and with the Cold War at it's height, Frog made a reasonable representation, certainly closer to the material now available than Aircraft of the Fighting Powers had managed- I've used my dad's original as a back scene in some of the photos to distract y'all!

I can't say that I've loved every minute, but I'm mighty pleased to have done it (never again) and a million thanks for all the support along the way- sorry about the migraine the red may have induced

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Mjwomack changed the title to Tupolev SB-2 "Katyuska" NOVO Edition - F176 - 1:72 aka Katiuska Finished!

Three big ticks and a huge pat on the back for seeing this one through. Its a kit that has testing your patience and probably most of ours as well. If anything, this was a great exercise to show all the world's modellers to give this contraption of plastic parts a very wide berth. Having said all that, it's come up very well indeed. 

Cheers and thanks so much for taking part.... Dave 

• Like 2

If anything, this was a great exercise to show all the world's modellers to give this contraption of plastic parts a very wide berth. 

There were lots of time when I was humming a paraphrase of The House of the Rising Sun...

Mother tell your baby children, yea yea
Don't do the things that I've done
Spend your life in sin and misery
With the Frog mould katiuska!!

Which probably means that within the week will there will be three or more master builds of it in RFI

• Haha 4