Revell 1/72 Horten GO-229

Hi There,

So, some backstory for this one. Innis is absolutely fascinated with German experimental stuff at the moment and so we started the Horten. This was started at the same time as my Bell X-1 but due to my trip to New York and then his holidays we didn't get round to it until a couple of weeks ago. It needed some careful planning regarding sub-assemblies and painting so we left it until then. As this was his project I let the wee man take the lead so most of the build and painting is his. I did some fiddly stuff, the masking and what little weathering we did on it but all decisions were his. I think he has done a pretty astounding job on this considering it was a bit of a pig to put together. The fit was appalling in places and the decals were some of the worst I've used so far. Didn't want to stick and lie down at all and I eventually resorted to using UMP Extra strong to get certain decals to settle. Any errors and omissions are mine and mine alone, but the sheer joy on his face was worth every minute and, of course, getting a 10 year old interested in the hobby is pleasure enough.

Painted with Vallejo ModelAir RLM 81,82 and 84, Revell Aluminium and weathered slightly with Mig Washes and Oils.

On with some pictures:

14gmKKH.jpg

igBHZxs.jpg

21mRhk3.jpg

iNil67Y.jpg

4pGOEmO.jpg

And finally on it's new display base

vpqAar3.jpg

uIuE9bj.jpg

• Like 24

Looks great, always been interested in these since playing Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe far too many years ago, the box art featured at least two of these taking on allied bombers. I had seen this kit online and considered buying, but if it was that bad to put together perhaps I'll hold off for now.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Came out very well. Well do to both of you.

Thank you for your kind words

5 hours ago, Qel said:

Looks great, always been interested in these since playing Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe far too many years ago, the box art featured at least two of these taking on allied bombers. I had seen this kit online and considered buying, but if it was that bad to put together perhaps I'll hold off for now.

Many thanks for your kind words. I may be exaggerating the fit problems slightly but the nose to fuselage join and the canopy were real problems.

Cheers,

Alistair

Very nice job, especially considering the fit issues you describe.

It gladdens me to see some younger folks getting into this hobby - very encouraging.

Keep it up.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, kapam said:

Very nice job, especially considering the fit issues you describe.

It gladdens me to see some younger folks getting into this hobby - very encouraging.

Keep it up.

:clap:

Thank-you for your kind words. I'm having a blast building but the look on the wee mans face just lights up the room.

Cheers,

Alistair

6 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

I have to say I don't remember any fit issues on mine and the decals were lovely - maybe it was a different boxing. The red walk lines were tricky but that was my fault.

Nice build wee man!

Hi There,

Thanks for the reply.

I've just realised that there were a couple of internal pieces that went in the wrong way round and that probably didn't help and that's entirely my fault.

I'll pass your comment on to the wee manny. He's been quite overwhelmed by the response. 

I hope that it peeks his interest a bit more.

Cheers,

Alistair