Kittyhawk P40E F391 1968, Later Novo issue.

TonyW

Three entries in one morning! I'm pushing my luck already. The three kits in question are pretty simple offerings though, and will be built alongside each other. Others will be joining them along the way, but these trio will be a good ease in for the GB.

This one saw a fair few releases and kit numbers before ending up in the NOVO lineup. My build will be the NOVO version.

The mould was cleaned up by AMT in 1968 when they borrowed it. They altered the panel engraving and filled in the engraved decal placement engraving.

Yet another bargain bin kit, everything is there and good to go, with the exception of the decal sheet. I've tried one of the fuselage letters for the version I'm not using, and it shattered into a million bits once water got involved. Trying again with a couple of clearcoats got the same result. I'll have to have a dig about and find replacements.

Here's the kit...

IMG-7420.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 6

Tony,

Built 2 or 3 of their Tomahawks but never this older kit. Think I have Frog transfers for this and the La-7 as well - I will check. Those Novo ones did look ready to explode in water!

Pete

Update - I have all the fuselage markings for the RAAF Kittykawk but no wing roundels or the RCAF markings, and all bar 2 stars for the La-7 together with a full set of markings for the later 1/72 Blenheim MkI. PM me if interested. Likewise any you may need for other builds.

Edited by PeterB
update

I may yet take you up on your offer Pete, I like the idea of a boxing Kangaroo on the fuselage and given the probable result of using the La7 ones, I may well need them as well.

Let me have a dig around my spares first, I may well have suitable ones here. Thanks for the offer.

I can see a few other contributors using Novo kits wanting decals or transfers (depending on the kits age)

Edited by TonyW

No problem Tony. I am happy to give them away, not charge between £2.50 and £4.00 like on e-bay, but if it gets to be a large number I might have to start asking for contributions towards postage - my Pension will only stretch so far!

Pete

• Like 2

Great to see this being built on here Tony. There's been a tonne of P-40 kits over the years, but you'd be hard pressed to see anyone tackle this model outside a Classic kit GB. 

Cheers and watching your progress from afar.. Dave 

• Like 1

I was a big P-40 fan in my youth - still am! - but I don't remember this kit at all. If you had asked, I would have said that the only P-40 FROG did was the B. There again it's only in the last few years that I discovered Revell did an RAF boxing of their P-40E kit.

Looking forward to seeing how this kit builds.

John

Work's started on the P40, basic assembly, and a bit of filler. It's all going smoothly. A search turned up a FROG version of the decals that's going to give me my desired Kangaroo nose art. Result!

IMG-7525.jpg

The search also unearthed a second FROG P40 kit, the 1969 Tomahawk version. I'll add that to the GB later.

I've also drilled out the exhaust manifolds on both P40's. These old kits need all the help they can get!

IMG-7516.jpg

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 5

Two steps forward, one step back. The primary assembly went well. Given the parts count, it couldn't do much else really! I then managed to apply one of the worst paintjobs I have ever done onto the airframe .  I'm new to acrylics, being a bit of a traditionalist dinosaur and all that, and found it very difficult to get a smooth finish using the paint. Reverting to Humbrol didn't help here as the new tin of sand I used had no covering power whatsoever. Paint coats started piling up and they looked a bit rubbish. Refusing to be beaten by paint, I flatted the whole thing down and started again.

IMG-7618.jpg

The re-vamp is bottom left in this shot...

IMG-7617.jpg

The dark Earth is Revell Aquacolour. I like the colour a lot, it looks right. It took a couple of careful brushed coats to get it a solid colour, but I'm happy enough with the result. The sand is the troublesome Humbrol stuff, painted on very carefully. It took three coats over the weekend to get a solid colour. 

Once the paintwork looked OK, I added decals. The plane came to life at that point and it looks like its escaped a trip to the bin!

IMG-7650.jpg

There's a bit of white mismatch on the noseart decal that needs attention and the red centres of the roundels and fin flash will get toned down to match the faded spinner. Red and bright sunlight just don't see eye to eye. The sunlight usually wins.

The canopy needs a bit of filling, probably with glue 'n glaze, to hide that step down to the fuselage.  The side glazing looks like fun to fit. Hmmm.

More as it happens.

Tony.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4

46 minutes ago, TonyW said:

The sand is the troublesome Humbrol stuff, painted on very carefully. It took three coats over the weekend to get a solid colour. 

The canopy needs a bit of filling, probably with glue 'n glaze, to hide that step down to the fuselage.  The side glazing looks like fun to fit. Hmmm.

Mmm...I've had a few new tins of Matt Humbrol like that recently - seemed to need a huge amount of stirring and making sure the big globs hidden in the bottom corners got thoroughly added to the rest of the liquid. You know when it is going on that you'll need more than the standard two coats - then it turns out 'satin'! On a more positive note though, isn't it a good thing there is a (small) step down from the canopy to the rear fuselage - makes it look like the canopy could slide back? I'm not sure if the real things 'dropped' down into locked position. These P40's are looking great, Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here's the first issue alongside the revamped later one. I think I prefer the early one, engraved panel lines and stars and all. The cleaned up version has lost most of its raised lines during the paint rescue so it's nice and smooth. I'll add a few pencil lines to it as a nod to detailing.

IMG-7653.jpg

• Like 3

Another one bites the dust!  Finished today while I watched the downpour going on outside. It could be worse.

Pictures added to the Gallery just now, here's one of them.

IMG-7691.jpg

• Like 4

That's another head turner Tony and gets a double tick from me as she's donned in Aussie 450 Squadron markings. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1