RAF C130K Hercules

Italeri 1/48 C130K -  Markings are mainly Xtradecal

I flew in XV185 during an RAF Lyneham family day back in the eighties. They used to take the kids up for a flight and how some were not lost out the back when the ramp came down is still a mystery. Current status on XV185- scrapped 🙁

This was built over a decade ago and was badly damaged in transit from the UK to Oz. Not flak as such, just over stressing the airframe due to my packing. Fuel tanks detached, fin partially detached. Now partially repaired with undercarriage raised. It's a bit big so stands on its side on a shelf in the den. Today has been such a beautiful autumn day I thought I would give it an air, although I found the direct light a bit harsh for photography.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Pinback
typo
  • Like 32

What a good save. It’s massive or they’re really small bear bottles, err correction just seen your location - they’ll be big bottles😀.

where the refuelling probe from - scratchbuilt.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Impressive - flew out to Germany in 185 from Brize a long time ago when I was in the TA. I was young and fit back then - now I’m just an old git!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, invidia said:

I remember the family day herc flight, spent the flight in the cockpit. 

They probably did not trust you to be in the back with the ramp down! 😉

17 hours ago, Natter said:

Keo beer - fond memories!

Ah yes! Long time since I have been back.

17 hours ago, petetasker said:

I was young and fit back then - now I’m just an old git!

It comes to all of us Pete :)

Great looking Herkybird.  From the days when the RAF still had interesting paint schemes.  My house got buzzed by two very low Js the other day, one of which had the RAF 100 marked tail fin.  Is that a bottle of Barbados Banks beer I see?  Nothing better after a day on the beach than going in to a rum shop and downing an ice cold one.

• Thanks 1

Spent many years of my life listening and watching the K's engine testing out on the pan at Cambridge, definitley a sound that will live with me. Great finish on what is a fantastic build. On another note, loving that Starfighter! very unique.

Marc

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Is that a bottle of Barbados Banks beer

It is! - Current status- drunk

20 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Nice Herk but even nicer Zell!

14 hours ago, MarcNewitt said:

On another note, loving that Starfighter

Thanks Marc and RidgeRunner- it was part of the 2017/18 F 104 group build - I just made the deadline and was not happy with the angle which I have tweaked. Will be eventually adding some ground units and engineers. Test pilot Eldon Brown looks a bit lonely

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Hoops said:

Neat BLM OV-10 seen in the lower corner of one of the pictures as well

Thanks Hoops -N 646 is preserved at the Fort Worth Aviation Museum - but repainted in.....grey 😕 ...ah well!

spacer.png

Edited by Pinback
typo
  • Like 2