FROG Squad GB - Build List (@ 171 builds!)

Rabbit Leader

Apologies for the somewhat lack of updates and general comments from me of late. Life seems to be a little too busy and one needs to make unfortunate priority choices. 

So what's been happening on here? Let's start with the new builds, which are still happening towards the tail end of this GB? 

• It's time to acknowledge and notate @PeterB's Macchi 202 Folgore which I just happened to miss a while back.  This s looking great Pete.
  • Now some exciting news, following 154 Aircraft nominations we now have our first Ship, this time it's @stevej60 again (who else would it be?) with the HMS Hero disguised at the HMS Ivanhoe. Nice to see something just a little bit different. so well done Steve. 

Another four great kit completions have entered the gallery. Some have been fairly quick builds, whilst one has been a long and lengthy battle which has had us all in stitches of laughter for a good while!

• @PeterB has completed a lovely US Navy Gloss Sea Blue Grumman Bearcat that really looks the part all shiny and dangerously armed. Nice going Pete, she looks great. 
  • @stevej60 has forgone hours of sleep to churn out two beautiful Frog kit examples of the Blackburn Skua and Vultee Vengeance. You are just amazing us with your prolific work rate. 
  • and last but certainly not least, @Mjwomack has entertained us for many months with his hard slog effort building Frogs Tupolev SB-2 "Katyuska". If this WIP is not incentive to press on and get your GB entry finished, well nothing is! 

Well done all, and let's aim for a final finish frenzy in the closing weeks to come! 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

Build Tally    Total Builds = 155 / Total Subjects = 108 / Gallery Entries = 61 / Completion Ratio = 39.4 %

• Like 4

With just on three weeks to go, this update sees the addition of two additional builds and yet another fantastic gallery entry. 

• How good does @bristol boy's Vickers Wellington look? That's some build and it's a pity that Frog didn't release this in their own right prior to their demise. You've done these mould's proud. 
  • @PhantomBigStu has added yet another build which takes him to (no idea... I'm loosing count). Although your Douglas Skyhawk won't be in RAN colours, Kiwi's come a close second, so well done. 
  • And just a few hours ago, @Black Knight has chipped in with the original 1955 Gloster Javelin. Welcome aboard BK, this also happens to be the 157th build which a few of you already know equals the build number set during last years bumper Classic Airfix GB. I for one would not have dreamt that! Well done Pat ( @JOCKNEY), it was a bold move to raise your hand and suggest this and it looks as if it's certainly paid off. 

Cheers and well done everyone.. Dave 

Build Tally    Total Builds = 157 / Total Subjects = 110 / Gallery Entries = 62 / Completion Ratio = 39.5 %

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

With just on three weeks to go,

Just a thought as there have been comparisons with last year's Airfix GB with the Frog GB - Airfix was allocated 134 days, Frog is three weeks less at 113 days.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

Just a thought as there have been comparisons with last year's Airfix GB with the Frog GB - Airfix was allocated 134 days, Frog is three weeks less at 113 days.

Don't say that Paul - I'm looking forward to hanging up my co-hosting admin apron and moving on a bit! 

Some of us on here are likely to build a zillion more kits in that time (BM member names deleted to not encourage them!). 

All in all, that is an interesting stat you've come across, perhaps a slight extension may be required should we be in the sniff of the finishing line? 

Cheers.. Dave.  

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

23 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Don't say that Paul - I'm looking forward to hanging up my co-hosting admin apron and moving on a bit! 

Some of us on here are likely to build a zillion more kits in that time (BM member names deleted to not encourage them!). 

All in all, that is an interesting stat you've come across, perhaps a slight extension may be required should we be in the sniff of the finishing line? 

Cheers.. Dave.  

Aha! Here's what @Enzo Matrix said when a similar conversation ensued near the end of the Airfix Golden Years GB when compared with the previous Matchbox one:

STGBs last for 13 weeks.  GBs last for 16 weeks.  However, some discussion last year led to the decision that "vintage" GBs such as the Matchbox GB would last for 18 weeks. 

Additionally, An extension of a week can be granted if there is a reasonable expectation of significant numbers of projects being completed in that extra week.  However, that extension would only be granted about a week before the end of the GB. 

So, (sorry Dave), according to Paul's figures, we should at least get another two weeks to get us to 6th October???

Enzo will read this and let us know.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Thanks @Ventora3300  I did say that. 

@JOCKNEY is quite right, the end date of this GB is 6 October.   It's not an extension.   It always should have been 6 October.

Thanks very much Enzo, on behalf of the all the GB participants, and the Hosts thats great news, isn't it Dave....

cheers Pat

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Oh my word!!!   Sixty-two completed builds so far in the gallery and we still have another month to go.

This is going to be another Vintage GB that breaks the site!   :lol:   There is no way that the poll can deal with this level of engagement...

• Like 3

Would you believe that the dates of this monster GB have just been altered? - we all now have until Sunday 06 October to either get onboard, finish off or just continue to file and sand these Frog builds until this GB's curtain finally draws to a close. I'm still not so sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing but am very pleased to report on another build nomination (our record 158th) and a great Gallery entry from two of the most hard working GB BM members on here. 

• Mike @Ventora3300 has added to his growing list of Trail Blazing builds with an original and crisply moulded Bleriot IX. This GB wouldn't be complete without this kit, so well done. 
  • and let's all show our huge appreciation to your very own GB host, yes Pat @JOCKNEY who has finally completed his first kit for this GB, the lovingly "Finnish-ed" Dornier Do17Z. Looks great Pat, now stop playing with Winged Boats and get on with those other Frog kits! 

Build Tally    Total Builds = 158 / Total Subjects = 111 / Gallery Entries = 63 / Completion Ratio = 39.9 %

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

• and let's all show our huge appreciation to your very own GB host, yes Pat @JOCKNEY who has finally completed his first kit for this GB, the lovingly "Finnish-ed" Dornier Do17Z. Looks great Pat, now stop playing with Winged Boats and get on with those other Frog kits! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Bit naughty Dave - what about your other GB? Seriously though, thanks to both of you for all the admin work which has clearly had a detrimental effect on your own build rate.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Cheers.. Dave 

Check out the gallery Dave

I think that's 2-1 to me just like the Ashes score is going to be !  :giggle:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Check out the gallery Dave

I think that's 2-1 to me just like the Ashes score is going to be !  :giggle:

Cheers Pat

Just have and looks nice. not sure about that final Ashes score, however I may need to concede the chocolates for final Frog kit builds if you happen to finish another. 

The Hotspur looks great, well done you. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Time for another GB update which includes five more completions and yet another new entry? 

• Hot on the heals of @JOCKNEY's Do17 build, Pat has now completed his resurrected Hostpur Glider to a great standard. Well done 'Host' - now good luck with the Rita. 
  • Tim aka @theplasticsurgeon has added to his great collection of EE Lightning's with another super example using the Frog moulds from a Revell box. Yet another winner Tim, well done. 
  • @stevej60 has chipped in yet again with the lovely and I would image quite small HMS Ivanhoe, which looks very crisp and neat as the only Frog Ship to take part in this GB. Nice one Steve
  • Rounding off the gallery announcements is a double entry from @825 with one beautifully presented Fairey Firefly and our first of many Blackburn Shark builds.  Both kits have come our very nicely indeed! 
  • The new build entry belongs to @smellybeard and its another de Havilland Vampire which is always a great kit to see built. Hopefully you can make something from those damaged parts! 

Cheers and I hope you all make full use of the new amended deadline! .. Dave  

Build Tally    Total Builds = 159 / Total Subjects = 111 / Gallery Entries = 68 / Completion Ratio = 42.8 %

• Like 4

On 04/09/2019 at 06:12, Rabbit Leader said:

Just have and looks nice. not sure about that final Ashes score, however I may need to concede the chocolates for final Frog kit builds if you happen to finish another. 

The Hotspur looks great, well done you. 

Cheers.. Dave 

It is through gritted teeth that I congratulate @Rabbit Leader on winning the Ashes :raincloud: 

As a suitable penance I have started my build in his other GB, just to show there's no hard feelings :rage:

If he could take a break from gloating to update the Build list, it would be very much appreciated 

• Haha 1

OK... this update's just for @JOCKNEY because he asked nicely and has been so gracious in (another) Ashes defeat!! ..... now if only Steve Smith played the third test, it would have been all over a week ago. Anyway, that's enough gloating for this hour, I've got the whole day off so best put this to good use. 

There's a foursome of news to report on so let's start with - 

• @825 cannot seem to get enough of this GB, so in addition to a beautifully galleried Suez Hawker Sea Hawk, he has gone an started a WIP for the gull winged F4U Corsair. Excellent stuff! 
  • @PeterB has managed to bottle up his old pipe smoke rings by trapping them onto the upper surface of Frog's Macchi's 202 Folgore. That's come out swell Pete... top effort that!   
  • and yet another superb Hotspur glider, this time presented by @Ventora3300 for another great gallery entry. Well done Mike, you're obviously enjoying yourself as well. 

All going well I might even add an update or too of my 'slow' progress if I feel things are going well enough. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Build Tally    Total Builds = 160 / Total Subjects = 111 / Gallery Entries = 71 / Completion Ratio = 44.4 %

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just adding and correcting a few details so that we're all up to date -

• @smellybeard has started another Bristol Beaufighter 21 and has fired up his 3D printer to manufacture a number of additional goodies - It's kinda Retro meets State of the Art modelling on this thread - Very Impressive!
  • @John has found another online gem in the shape of the Mig-21 in a unique boxtop. You have your work cut out mate, but we'll back you in to get this one finished. 
  • and a slight correction that I think is justified, I've now listed @PeterB's DH Hornet entry as (x2) as the amount of work to restore his old cigar infused kit deserves to be acknowledged as an entry in it's own right. I love the fact that you've selected both Frog kit decal options and has me now thinking that this is a cool project to contemplate somewhere down the track. 
  • I'll finish this off with another dazzling gallery entry by @nimrod54. That Ryan NYP "Spirit of St Louis' build is yet another masterstroke of plastic modelling John. You have shown us all that with love and care 'any' kit can be turned into something special and this typifies that statement rather handsomely. Very well done! 

Cheers and keep plugging away chaps!!.. Dave 

Build Tally    Total Builds = 163 / Total Subjects = 112 / Gallery Entries = 72 / Completion Ratio = 44.1 %

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

I had no intention of *officially entering" my refurb but if you like it that much then OK - I will include it. 1 Gallery entry for both I presume or would you prefer 2? Incidentally I do smoke cigars once every blue moon, but this was pipe smoke. I switched from ciggys when I first started driving in 1968 as I did not have an ashtray in my first car, and also a pipe can run "unattended" for anything up to 1 hour or more (90 mins is my record sitting listening to music but that was a pretty big pipe - what my late father called a "cadging pipe" - ie if somebody foolishly offered you a fill of their tobacco you whipped out the biggest pipe you had).  Apparently I am one of a dying breed as my local Supermarket has stopped selling pipe tobacco "due to lack of demand"!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Started smoking in 1968 @PeterB?  Now if my memory serves me correct (not that I was born then), wasn't that the year that cigarette sponsorship started to appear on Lotus F1 cars?... and they say advertising doesn't influence people's habits.! Now I'll be honest, the 25% GB rule did slip my mind when I adjusted this list, however when you consider the time spent on the initial built, then compare it to the time invested for this GB restoration, I'm sure we can come up with a formula that tips the scales in your favour. I'd also prefer to see gallery shots of both together as I believe they look great as a pair and highlight Frog's great choices of kit schemes.   

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Does not bother me either way - I have spent probably longer on the refurb than the new build as I not only stripped and painted it (3 doses of oven cleaner as the thick layer of wood varnish took a lot of removing) but then had to repair and re-fit the various parts that had fallen off, cast wheels and make an undercarriage. I will include both of them in my Gallery entry anyway. Like I said, I was not intending to enter it but if you are happy to include it I will not complain. They are sitting in front of me as I write this, canopies masked and ready for a finishing coat of varnish.

I might even have another "quick build" to enter, depending on the post from Oz - no promises mind!

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Olten said:

Dave, hello! I want to take part in FROG Squad GBwith the model Hurricane IIС from NOVO. What do I need to do for this? Thank!

Hi Olten

You are very welcome to join.

Please start a new thread for your build post some pictures of your kit and off you go.

Any problems let me know. Good luck

Cheers Pat

• Like 3