F203 - English Electric (BAC) Canberra B(I)12 - "Kiwi Konfrontasi" ++ Finished ++

Rabbit Leader

I started following this late and I have a few observations.

It's a far more accurate kit than the newish airfix one. The wings are spot on in thickness, taper and shape. I think I'll be junking the airfix and using it as a source of bits for my recently acquired Eastern Express. It could do with a little slice being taken out of the fuselage between the bomb bay and the nosewheel bay and the engines are a little low on the wing at the leading edge.

I've never like the bluer interpretations of Dark Sea Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey. These are non-blue greys when on-spec.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 5:54 PM, Max Headroom said:

Just caught up on this build and the Cranberry is looking a tad gorgeous! I built a Novo one many moons ago and remember thinking it ‘clunky’. Your fettling has worked wonders and I’m looking forward to you applying the TRANSFERS (not decals!).

Trevor

Wot 'e sed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, PeterB said:

I get the impression that in Dave's part of the world they call them "stickers" for some reason!

You know us Pete, we always resort to using slang rather than the true word. I recall taking my young son to watch the animated movie ‘Cars’ where the term ‘stickers’ gets used to describe Lighting McQueens paintwork and I suppose it’s stuck ever since. I also use it to describe a person who’s fully clad with tattoo’s, a somewhat sad growing trend with today’s youth! 

Now this Canberra has been rather transformed with the application of gloss coat and transfers although I haven’t quite taken any photographs and am still applying these where required. It’s all coming together better than I thought although don’t want to jinx myself at this late stage of proceedings. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 6

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

I think the real reason you aren't posting any photos is to keep us in suspense ;)

Cheers Pat 

To right Pat... in suspense for the big let down! 

For such a basic airframe, there still seems to be so much more to do. Just masking the canopy now and there is almost next to no frame guidelines to go by. 

Anyway, it'll all be revealed one way or another before the 22nd. That's not that long when you really think about it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

the 22nd. That's not that long when you really think about it. 

Arrggghh! :waiting:

But on the other hand, that's 3 weeks! And I did manage to get some proper paint on the kit today! ^_^

Cheers,

• Like 1

Update #11 - Fiddly bits and sneak peak!

Been all over the place with other issues, but there’s no point dwelling on all that. Hers’s a quick update to prove that I have been slowly progressing this thing and for shear stupidity have started another Canberra build as part of the ‘Year I was born GB’! 

In between adding a few decals here and there, I’ve built and painted a few of the fiddly bits such as wheels, tip tanks, undercarriage parts, underwing stores pylons and home made rocket pods. There seems to have been at least two types of pods used, and mine have a sharply tapered shiny nose tip that are as close as I can see from some fuzzy ‘Confrontation’ photographs. They’re not perfect, but they’ll do. 

And a wee sneaky peak at the main Airframe where I’ve chosen to do Kiwi serial ‘Inn Zidd Sux One Zero Sivvin’ (English translation - NZ6107). I’ve just cemented the canopy on and need to fill in a minor gap. 

Cheers.. Dave 

48703503021_ee6d12e31c_b.jpg

48703504106_f03945357c_b.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Cheeky git, looks OK though. :P :D

Steve.

Well I couldn’t let that opportunity for some bad Aussie humour slip, Steve.. you know I’m a fan of your beautiful country and the good natured people in it. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

They’re not perfect, but they’ll do

I wouldn't mind achieving that sort of perfection. Your finish is something to envy and marvel at. Bloomin lovely.

• Thanks 1

On 09/09/2019 at 09:31, Rabbit Leader said:

Update #11 - Fiddly bits and sneak peak!

Been all over the place with other issues, but there’s no point dwelling on all that. Hers’s a quick update to prove that I have been slowly progressing this thing and for shear stupidity have started another Canberra build as part of the ‘Year I was born GB’! 

In between adding a few decals here and there, I’ve built and painted a few of the fiddly bits such as wheels, tip tanks, undercarriage parts, underwing stores pylons and home made rocket pods. There seems to have been at least two types of pods used, and mine have a sharply tapered shiny nose tip that are as close as I can see from some fuzzy ‘Confrontation’ photographs. They’re not perfect, but they’ll do. 

48703503021_ee6d12e31c_b.jpg

Always great to get a close look at your shiny bits Dave !  :sorry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

Update #12 - Finally Finished! 

Yes, it's hard to believe however this Canberra is now finished! I'll post some pics in the gallery a little later on however here are a few teasers just to fill in some time! I'll also show a photo of what our Dining Room table has looked like of late! Now as you can see, I do have a messy accomplice in the shape of my artistic daughter Eva, who turns 14 tomorrow. As you can imagine, Mrs RL has not been too pleased, however I think she has given us a little latitude as we've both been busy, quiet and hard at work. The unfinished cat painting is Luna, our very charismatic Ragdoll that leaves white fluff everywhere and we have to vacuum daily!

I also want to say a big thanks to @PhantomBigStu, who kindly donated this Canberra's bomb bay, wheel doors and some other bits to help this project along as well as @Graeme H who happily sent down some kiwi silver fern decals after I naffed a couple of roundels. Now to celebrate this momentous model finishing event, I've already downed a couple of cold ones, so think its best I lay off the keyboard for a while! 

Cheers.. (a finally satisfied) Dave.  

48797441711_92c4253382_b.jpg

48797577572_b6196581ff_b.jpg

48797430126_a3aabbfa29_b.jpg

48797072803_47a4ba945e_b.jpg

48802120836_b1fd089b62_b.jpg

• Like 18