F203 - English Electric (BAC) Canberra B(I)12 - "Kiwi Konfrontasi" ++ Finished ++

Rabbit Leader

That's a big difference between the wing/exhaust that's been fettled and the untouched one - well worth the effort I would say. That bomb bay also looks the part. 👍

• Thanks 1

Update #6

With the wings now complete it was time to tackle that banana warped fuselage. Prior to cementing these bits together I made up a rudimentary cockpit from a few spare bits and mounted this onto the kit supplied cockpit floor. I had to adjust the positioning of this a little lower, otherwise the canopy would have been hitting the top of the ejector seat which may have prevented it from sitting properly. Various areas were painted black and the seat embellished with some very basic home made decal seat belts. All this will hardly be seen under a rather thick but reasonably clear kit canopy. The close cockpit tub photo does look kinda shoddy, however to my failing and out of focused naked eyes it'll do the job fairly adequately.  

48175708726_6889fef8f7_b.jpg

48175780112_ea1fa2bbb3_b.jpg

48211448186_77679eaf1a_b.jpg

Now there's something about kits with open bomb bays, rarely do the fuselage pieces line up well enough to hide the join line and often leave a misaligned gap. My solution to having a nice smooth opening was to slice a piece of plastic card to simulate the curved internal structure. I've then left a sizeable chuck of scrap plastic that will be cut and filed to size using the fuselage curvature as a guide. Time will tell if this is successful, however it'll hide a nasty area that would have been glaringly obvious each time I looked at it. I'm hoping that it will all sort of blend in once the bomb bay doors are in position. Once again it's all guess work and something else that I failed to think about when choosing to open the bomb bay area. 

48211447961_9972f0210f_b.jpg

48211507547_9e08bb7e58_b.jpg

Still lots to clean up around the fuselage and then there's that clear nose cone that just looks like trouble to get right!. This kit is going relatively too slow for my liking, however as I've struggled to finish a Canberra kit (two failed attempts in the last few years), I'm determined to get this one home and at a standard I'm happy with. 

Cheers and thanks.. Dave 

• Like 16

Nicely finished cockpit there. Just enough to show it's there without any wasted effort.

One of my favourite reads is Empire of the Clouds. The Canberra cockpit is described as an ergonomic slum in one memorable chapter.

Tony.

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

great cockpit! You forgot the  throttle, and the half dozen little labels that tell the pilot what happens when he pushes it forward or backward...

For the sake of completeness, I would really appreciate if these all important items were to be present...

Beside these glaring omissions, it is a fantastic build!!!

JR

• Haha 2

Update #7 - starting to look like a Canberra! 

Got quite a bit done over the last few days, however have failed to photograph the various steps that took place. One of my fears was that the glass nose cone would not fit properly. This would have been pretty much my fault as I had not realised I filed two great flat spots when I cleaned up the left and right nose windows. If I was to build another, I'd cement the windows and nose glazing first, then file it all smooth thereafter. Thankfully a little bit of CA filler sorted this out however I diid make more work for myself in the process. The nose glazing still need their final coat of 'Future' however the micromesh hasn't let me down as the clarify in all honesty isn't that bad. 

New Bomb Bay doors were created from the one piece closed door part provided in the 1973 Airfix kit. This was cut in half (quite badly) and trimmed to size, hopefully they look something like the reference photos I was using. Wings and Hori Stabs were attached and all the large gaps filled with Perfect Plastic Putty. I'm not sure if these gaps have filled properly, however I am sure the primer coat will let me know if I haven't! To provide a little bit of interest I have also cut away the kit's elevators, however these still need to be cleaned up and re-attached in the common downward position. The canopy has been 'cleared' however not cemented as yet. At this stage this looks to be quite a good fit. Just the nose wheel well assembly to fix and then do a quick once over before hitting it with primer. I pretty much got to where I was hoping on this kit before another block of work so am pretty happy with my progress. 

Now stepping back and taking a look at this thing, I am quite happy with the overall lines of this kit. In my opinion this Frog Canberra really looks the part from every angle. I have not taken a micrometer to it, however the fuse, wings, engines just all blend in beautifully to capture the classic lines of this great aircraft. Well done Frog. 

Cheers.. Dave 

48239710596_d829cc2e47_b.jpg

48239802107_4de922e3b0_b.jpg

48239714261_7847d6c746_b.jpg

48239803797_ba04e79b45_b.jpg

48239804867_ce33dd492d_b.jpg

48239803117_6efb862768_b.jpg

Oh... that's right, these two stash fillers found their way into my mailbox yesterday!!  

48239686931_baaacd0a61_b.jpg

• Like 17

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Oh... that's right, these two stash fillers found their way into my mailbox yesterday!!   

Mmmm, where have I heard that before? 😀

It really looks the part - the general shapes are better than Airfix's 1/48 offering, especially around the tail area - very nice indeed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking good! That does look very Canberra-like! your improvements have transformed it. Now if only they did it with a domed canopy...

Regards,

Adrian

They did Adrian, a few years prior to Daves

FROG-Canberra.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TonyW said:

They did Adrian

I actually have that kit. I think I've opened it once, shuddered and put it all back again. Nice box though!

Somewhere down the line I'm thinking there could be a FROGfix mashup between the later FROG kit and the Airfix bubble cockpit one with the funny nose. I saw one flying at a Southampton air show in about 1997 and thought it was the coolest jet I ever saw...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 3

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I actually have that kit. I think I've opened it once, shuddered and put it all back again. Nice box though!

Somewhere down the line I'm thinking there could be a FROGfix mashup between the later FROG kit and the Airfix bubble cockpit one with the funny nose. I saw one flying at a Southampton air show in about 1997 and thought it was the coolest jet I ever saw...

Regards,

Adrian

That's an interesting idea. I've never seen it done that way round but Ray Rimmell had a couple of articles back in the day where he cut both nose sections off at the sloped pressure bulkhead and grafted the FROG nose on to the rest of the Airfix kit. Apparently the fit was very good. 

The newer Airfix Mk8 makes that a bit redundant now but there's still no out of the box solution for the earlier bomber variants in 1/72.

John 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, John said:

The newer Airfix Mk8 makes that a bit redundant now but there's still no out of the box solution for the earlier bomber variants in 1/72.

Perhaps John, however this 2008 kit is literally covered in deep and wide panel lines that look nothing like the smooth skin on the real Canberra so this is one area where the Frog kit wins out. As for fishbowl 1/72 Canberra's there's always the SMS kit, however it's not exactly a shake and bake effort but does look good if completed well. Point taken though, it would be nice to finally get a good quality and effortless build early 1/72 Canberra kit but the major modelling firms don't seem to have the same opinion. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Update #8 - Finally some paint! 

Apologies for dragging this one now for so long, however assembly has practically finished and it's now time to apply some paint. I started by painting the underside in what we all know as High Speed Silver. My favourite silver of choice these days is Tamiya's AS-12 Airframe Silver. This comes in an aerosol can, however I prefer to decant it and mix it with Gunze's Mr. Levelling thinner. If there's one thing that silver paint is good for and that's reminding you that your build skills are not as good as you think they are! My initial 'primer' coat did show up quite a number of flaws and I must admit that these did look worse it direct sunlight than normal indoor light. Either way, the joins were not good enough, so it was sand and refill time again until I achieved a better result. It's still not perfect by any stretch, however will be good enough for a classic kit of this vintage. Anyway, here's some photos, two after the initial primer and fix up sanding session and a few more of where I think I'll settle on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

48500021111_94b8fc3c9e_b.jpg

48500022256_3db57d384a_b.jpg

48500022031_df4e219d9c_b.jpg

48500021096_1c2ff062e1_b.jpg

48500022146_1a786c638a_b.jpg

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

If there's one thing that silver paint is good for and that's reminding you that your build skills are not as good as you think they are! My initial 'primer' coat did show up quite a number of flaws and I must admit that these did look worse it direct sunlight than normal indoor light.

I am with you on that one Dave. having added some silver to the nose of Spirit of St Louis, I can see that there is more sanding needed on the joins - everything looked OK under primer though. :shrug:

This Canberra is looking fantastic after your tidy and silver respray. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Hi Dave,

terribly impressive build and the flawless painting on such an old kit will be used as an example for decades to come at the Australian Modeling Academy!!!!

Congrats Sir!

JR

• Haha 2

She's progressing well Dave,having a copy of this kit puts the extra work you've done into perspective,great work and that silver finish looks superb too!

Edited by stevej60
  • Thanks 1

Lovely silver finish on this Canberra now, Dave (your favourite AS-12 Airframe Silver, I see). With the Leveller added, surely you won't need any gloss coat before the decals go on? This certainly shows up the Canberra's huge bomb bay for it's size, and apparently it handled like a fighter. Fascinating subject and build - keep soldiering on. All the best. Mike.

• Thanks 1

I suppose that there was the usual "trade off" performance wise - the big wing made it very agile and capable of high altitudes but probably slowed it down a bit. Still, it was groundbreaking when it first flew and even the Americans bought it. Not bad for EE's first jet!

• Like 3