Allan31's 1:1 scale Lola T202

I was presented with a wonderful opportunity to observe fellow modeler Allan Buttrick (Allan31) work on his latest project which he claimed was responsible for his absence from these hallowed halls of miniature craftsmanship.  As Allan indeed had not posted for a while, I thought it a good opportunity to not only meet a fellow modeler but also find out what he was wasting his time on rather than model building.  So, with an exchange of emails arrangements were made with Allan insisting on meeting at the Summit Point (WV.) racetrack.  Despite thinking this was indeed an unusual place to talk modeling, I readily agreed as Summit Point is less than a 30-minute drive from my home and it is after all…a racetrack!!!. 

My son Curtiss and I set out at the appointed time, as we ventured onto the bridge over the track in to the infield, a trio of vintage sports racers swept into turn 10, exhaust popping and crackling under lifted throttle.  In addition to getting our blood pumping, (aerobatic airplane guys and racecar guys are cast from the same mold) I was thrilled to jump to the conclusion that Allan was going to demonstrate a new method of weathering and use real racecars as reference!  Now that is attention to detail, no wonder his builds are so realistic!   We rounded the corner into the paddock area and as advertised the trailer was in place just as Allan had promised.  But what caught my eye was that sitting in front was the largest scale Formula Ford racer I had ever seen, gleaming in a pristine British Racing Green finish and seemingly perfect in every detail. 

owVgopE.jpg?3

We were warmly greeted by Allan and Su, and immediately felt at ease.  Allan said he would provide a detailed description as soon as he came in from the morning practice section.  This was about the moment that I began to suspect we were not going to talk too much about models this weekend. 

Our first view of Allan and the Lola on the track.

lhibYFr.jpg?4

Since this is a modeling site after all, it is necessary to discuss a few modelling points:

After the session, Allan graciously removed the cowl to allow close inspection of the engine installation and the rear suspension.  Front and rear suspensions are multi-link with full adjustment for caster, camber and toe.  The anti-roll (commonly called “sway bars”) are also adjustable. This set up allows the car to be tuned for ideal handling characteristics.

1CxSdkc.jpg?2

EEWvFbd.jpg?2

Note how authentic the weathering is on the nose. This was achieved by Allan placing the nose of the Lola in position to capture scrubbed off tire rubber during cornering

Zi8fNPF.jpg?1

More scrubbed off tire-rubber marks on the coil-over springs and dampers.  Note the built up ‘kingpost’ or ‘upright’ and the stones and grass stuck to the sticky racing tires.  The adjustable anti-roll bars can be seen to good advantage here.

EU7FOMM.jpg?1

Exhaust manifold received a subtle heat discoloration by running between 5000 and 7000 rpms for about 20 minutes.

TPP320p.jpg?1

Allan and Curtiss discussing the design of the Lola. 

dUrW8Q3.jpg?1

Warming up in the paddock, water temp coming up, oil still cold. (note the high oil pressure)

e1mMxqJ.jpg?2

Su is definitely a jack-at-all-trades!  After assisting Allan strapping in, waiting time to head to the staging grid...

sr41JKf.jpg?1

The Scuderia Buttrick crew chief (Su) minute instructions on race strategy to the team’s premier driverrPN0SEN.jpg?1providing same last-

The hallowed Scuderia Buttrick Crest.  More information is available on the website https://scuderiabuttrick.com/

KCznLpE.jpg?1

An attempt at recreating an artistic shot of the starting grid worthy of the 1966 movie ”Grand Prix”  If you haven’t seen the film, I highly recommend it. 

1utqB1X.jpg?1

XgRIDQ7.jpg?1

Traffic is heavy early in the heat before the field stretches out.  Race 31 is closest to the camera on the outside setting up to pass on the outside of the turn leading into The Carousel.

R0aaGpI.jpg?1

Despite a very strong emphasis on safety, this is a serious racing series and incidents do happen.  Fortunately, all drivers are unharmed. 

LyxQK3R.jpg?1

A couple of glamour shots showing off the classic lines of the LolaT202

sBJGaff.jpg?1

bdF2csD.jpg?1

Green Flag racing

bIyN7id.jpg?1

ZwUTNyb.jpg?1

Recovering after one of the heat races.  Ambient temperatures were pretty high for May high humidity

eCBsXs6.jpg?1

Race 31 is a 1971 Lola T202 Formula Ford that is raced in the Historic Ford class.  Powered by a 1.6 liter inline 4-cylinder engine (similar to that in the Pinto!) the Lola’s light weight of just over 900 lbs provides exhilarating performance.  Transitioning between the classic "cigar" styling of open wheel racers in the sixties and the "chisel" styling of the early seventies, and is in my opinion one of the best-looking Formula Fords.  Allan’s beautifully maintained example raced flawlessly all weekend requiring nothing more between sessions than fueling, a check of tire pressures and wheel bolt torque.

kjSUg11.jpg?1

Curtiss trying on the Lola for size to Allan and Su’s amusement.  Neither of us fit, our shoulders being much too broad although we did find we fit into a Crowsley…barely 

wcoGY6J.jpg?2

Thank you to Allan and Su for your hospitality, Curtiss and I cannot thank you enough for a great experience!  You may very well have recruited two new novice vintage racers, now I just have to find a buyer for the Acrosport…

Eric aka The Yankymodeler

Edited by Yankymodeler
editorial
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...