Sea Vixen F.A.W. 2 (F409) - FINISHED

nimrod54

Excellent work there! That cockpit looks really good in situ, and I have to say you have done a cracking job on the joints and the nose extension. It looks good with the paint starting to go on now.

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 1:35 PM, nimrod54 said:

Flying in the face of convention, I have started the painting by brushing two coats of Humbrol 123 onto the upper surfaces. I felt that because I had added the undercarriage legs in prep for painting the white undersides, painting the darker shade first would make for an easier masking job. I hope to add a final thinned coat of EDSG later today, I should then be ready to make a start on the white tomorrow.

48230274351_6e766da6b5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Hi John,

you could have fooled me that the EDSG was spray painted. Outstanding brushing job!

Actually, this is an outstanding build from start to finish.

Super well done.

JR

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Looking good. Hope the white goes on well. 

29 minutes ago, Ray S said:

Excellent work there! That cockpit looks really good in situ, and I have to say you have done a cracking job on the joints and the nose extension. It looks good with the paint starting to go on now.

All the best,

Ray

Thanks very much chaps. The white has gone on and there are just a couple areas to touch up, the main one being at the leading edge of the starboard outer wing section, where I have torn the paint removing the masking tape. I have also painted the pylons and drop tanks and purchased some ResKit 2" launchers to replace the rather skinny looking kit parts.

48251514327_168d3077c6_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48251445291_dc93fee1b7_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi John,

you could have fooled me that the EDSG was spray painted. Outstanding brushing job!

Actually, this is an outstanding build from start to finish.

Super well done.

JR

Hi Jean

Thanks for your kind comment. The paint is one of the older tins of paint that I have in my stocks. It doesn't seem quite as thick as todays tins and brushes out really well. There is still fair amount to do yet but I am not too far off finishing this one now. I hope that your mojo restorer is working out for you, the last time I dropped in on your build you were making great progress with the MS406, keep going I'm sure you will get it finished.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Nice work on the white. 

On another note, I see a fellow fan of Open all hours. 

Cheers Buddy.

I am a fan of Open all Hours and Porridge.

Heslop's (played by Brian Glover) "I read a book once. Green it was." is a favourite line from that series, and reminds me of the Wide Range Reader books from my schooldays. :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/07/2019 at 22:32, Jinxman said:

That looks very sharp.

Are you planning doing much weathering, especially the undersides?

I may do some light weathering and a pin wash on the panel lines, but I don't feel that my weathering skills are that great, and I wouldn't want to mess things up by over doing it.

On 11/07/2019 at 01:08, AdrianMF said:

Lovely paint job. I guess the way the grey wraps around, grey first is the only way to go.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, I agree with you, this was probably the best way to paint this one, but I know that some folks would prefer to start with the lighter shade working up to the darkest.

@Greg Law and @bigbadbadge

Thanks very much for your comments guys, they are really appreciated.

Since the last update I have painted up the wheels, after that I made up a refuelling probe from some brass tube and used a Master part for the Buccaneer to make up the end. Then it was on with a couple of gloss coats before adding the decals and stencils, which in the main are from a Revell boxing of this kit, and after deciding to go with markings for 890 Squadrons XJ607:701-VL, I completed most of the task today.

48309037752_b185cfa1a5_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48309037557_9730b2ffc9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48309037087_0ce60d13bf_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48309037297_028ccf64dd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

With just a couple of small jobs like the 2" rocket pods to make up and hatches to paint, I am approaching the home stretch with this one now - which is probably a good thing because Mrs N has retired today, so I am not sure how much free time I am going to be allowed.  :lol:

• Like 11

Ooooooooo that looks absolutely stunning, great work, the decals, especially the red stencils on the top of the fuselage look great.

Let's hope your Missus is kind to you for your modelling time, you might need to figure out how to earn some brownie points !!!

Keep up the good work.

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

How good is this Vixen looking John?? That’s an amazing result from this kit. Cannot wait to see this finished, it’s gonna be a corker!

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

That looks great John, it looks just like what I want yo achieve with mine come the day. You only got a like because I couldn't decide on a sad face or laughing face at the last part of your post. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

I have always found Extra Dark Sea Grey a confusing colour - a lot of pics seem to show a definite blue tinge that does not seem to be present in any of the paints I have used - Humbrol,  Precision (1960/70 incarnation), Xtracolour, Mr Colour. I am debating whether or not to add a spot of dark blue to the mix when I tackle my recent Airfix F4 and the new Buccaneer. I have read it is to do with weathering, which was pretty marked on naval planes - anybody got any thoughts?

Cheers

pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having survived the first week of Mrs N's retirement and in between gardening jobs, BBQ's and family parties, I have manged to squeeze in some time to push my Sea Vixen build along and now it is almost complete. With the pitots, aerials and the last resin hatches and doors to add, I am going to leave todays work to set up before fixing these final details in place. Our son and daughter-in-law arrive for a short stay in the middle of the week, so I am hoping that I can have it finished before they land, in the meantime here are a few photos of progress so far.

48395526577_e58b27c61c_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48395527752_39ef777c5b_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48395528832_65705112cf_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48395386686_d5f90d5360_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13

Beautiful job John. Your EDSG has come out very well and in some shots has that elusive blue tinge I never seem to get with my paint - what did use? You mention Humbrol 123 but when I have used that it always seems just Grey.

• Like 1

A beautiful looking model. The drop tanks and rocket pods really do take things to a different level.

I'm used to looking at the first issue FROG version, your take on the later one blows the old model right out the water!

Tony.

• Like 1