Sea Vixen F.A.W. 2 (F409) - FINISHED

nimrod54

I'm in with a Modelcraft boxing of Frog's Sea Vixen. I will post photos of the box and its contents once I can load them up into Flickr.

I am still having problems uploading photos to Flickr, it has taken me quite some time to get these four on, and the fifth one of the box-top keeps timing out. I will try retaking that one to see if that helps. Here is what I have so far, the last one of the four shows some improvement sets that I plan to use, the cockpit and nose sets are for the FAW1 and I accept that there could be some instrumentation differences, but I am prepared to forego those in an effort to stop this being a tail-sitter.

47929505146_6467921acc_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47929506403_73b332d4bf_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47929501292_5fac538a19_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

47929501052_0539d34765_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

And finally, after several attempts to upload, the box-top.

47929781766_0f4b84db95_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13

With the Buccaneer, Maryland and now Sea Vixen in the mix, what a great start we already have to this GB.... and there's still the best part of one week to go.! 

Nice to have you along John, we will look forward to see what your great skills will add to this wonderful kit subject. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

With the Buccaneer, Maryland and now Sea Vixen in the mix, what a great start we already have to this GB.... and there's still the best part of one week to go.! 

Nice to have you along John, we will look forward to see what your great skills will add to this wonderful kit subject. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

Cheers Dave, it's nice to be here I hope that it proves as popular as the Airfix GB.

21 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That look's nicely molded from here John,look forward to progress.

Hi all,

Built this when it first came out ( one of the last Frog released) and am quite happy with it, but reviews suggest the shape is not that good, particularly around the nose - the same was said about more recent mouldings by other manufacturers too.  I have a conversion article somewhere and perhaps one day I might have a go but it will do me for now. Incidentally the version you have, like my original Frog one, does not seem to include the decals for the prominent red cross-hatched "boxes" on top of the fuselage - presumably "no walk" areas, which is strange as they did them for the Sea Venom. They are available on a Print Scale sheet but it is ruddy expensive.

Good luck with the build.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Incidentally the version you have, like my original Frog one, does not seem to include the decals for the prominent red cross-hatched "boxes" on top of the fuselage - presumably "no walk" areas, which is strange as they did them for the Sea Venom. They are available on a Print Scale sheet but it is ruddy expensive.

Good luck with the build.

Pete

They are there as raised detail on the plastic Pete, I wonder if modellers were expected to paint those in. I suppose it would stop you getting bored on a wet afternoon. :D

• Like 1

Hi John, did not notice that. Given when they made it I wonder if they were cutting corners before they went under?

Pete

• Like 1

Lovely choice John

This kits is a good bit bigger than you initially think, and along with all the extra goodies will look the business.

Good luck with the build

cheers Pat

• Like 2

On 31/05/2019 at 20:51, John D.C. Masters said:

I think I have this kit, but released via Eastern Express.

You may well have John, according Scalemates the last release was by Eastern Express.

On 02/06/2019 at 08:35, JOCKNEY said:

Lovely choice John

This kits is a good bit bigger than you initially think, and along with all the extra goodies will look the business.

Good luck with the build

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, I hope to make a start once I have finished my last entry for the Trainers GB.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks Pat, I hope to make a start once I have finished my last entry for the Trainers GB.

Guilty as charged, currently fighting a Magna Hawker Henley in the Trainers GB, and being male, multi-tasking is out of the question !

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Guilty as charged, currently fighting a Magna Hawker Henley in the Trainers GB, and being male, multi-tasking is out of the question !

cheers Pat

Hi Pat,

this is fantastic news! It means that I am not the only one in the known universe who cannot multi....whatsit!!!

A great feeling not to feel lonely any longer!

John, this is a great kit you have chosen! Looking forward to watch your build.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well I have finally made a start on the Sea Vixen. The main amount of work so far has been the opening up of a few areas around the nose in readiness for fit of the Pavla resin. After a tidy of the resin parts it was on with the cutting out process, the instructions are clear about the bits to remove.

48014040703_ae34b8b5ca_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48014041448_7c665df9a9_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

The cockpit and nose apertures after clean up,,,

48014041123_076e55e72d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48014028016_4c4fe2f3fd_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

and here is the coal hole door chain drilled in prep for removal, then with the resin door taped in place after neatening up.

48014118677_da42031570_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48014040913_559c8b326e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 13

I can already visualise a stunner with this build John and dare I say the end result will probably raise the prices of these Frog kits again!

Great start and we wish you the best of luck and success with his build. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Very nice indeed, great work so far with the preparation for the resin bits.  I had this kit a few years ago by Eastern Express but, sold it when I got the Airfix 48th scale kit. 

Keep up the good work and good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Not much done on this since Thursday because our son has arrived from The Netherlands to stay with us for a few days. I did grab some time yesterday and taped the fuselage halves together to help with alignment of the tail.

48023611477_3eb02e0e9a_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

I also filled the join along the rudder lines and the sink marks at the top of the fins with some plastic putty, I will reinstate the rudder later in the build.

48023611562_36ec57cffe_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 7

On 09/06/2019 at 14:48, JOCKNEY said:

Looking good John, all this detail now will pay benefits later on

Thanks Pat. If I can make a fairly decent job of it I will be more than happy.

With the heir to the estate winging his way back to Groningen, I pushed on with some more work over the afternoon. I took some time deciding how to sort out the raised detail and opted to sand it off then scribe in the main panel lines. I hope to find some decals that will provide the red outlines and crosses for the access panels on the rear fuselage, and doing this will help them to settle down. The wings have gone through the initial stages of the process and the upper fuselage needs a bit more refining to bring it up to a similar standard before I give it a squirt of primer to check things over. I still have to make a start on the lower fuselage and tail-booms.

48044901776_7559b4af18_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48044933543_8a7677166e_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 9

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

I hope to find some decals that will provide the red outlines and crosses for the access panels on the rear fuselage

Revell boxing s of this kit & at least one sheet of Model Art decals had the red stripe markings.

Steve.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Revell boxing s of this kit & at least one sheet of Model Art decals had the red stripe markings.

Steve.

Thanks for the info Steve. I have also found a set from Print Scale that have them in too.

They may be OK too, it will depend a little on what kit they are sized for. As I understand, the Frog kit is a little wider than the Xtrakit & Cyberhobby ones, the Revell & I believe MA ones are sized for the Frog kit.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Revell boxing s of this kit

Thanks Steve, looks like that’s the box to keep an eye on in the future. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I have finished painting the cockpit and the part has had some final adjustments to get it to fit in the lower half. A few more adjustments to fit the upper fuselage half and I should be ready to close things up, I am not sure what to do about the intakes at the moment, FOD guards are an option but ideally I would like to open them up and add some intake ducting - not something that I have done before, and that may remain to be the case. :winkgrin:

48060905076_a52a510d83_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48061002212_3d6eb3b299_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48060908086_579c509d6d_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 12