Sea Vixen F.A.W. 2 (F409) - FINISHED

nimrod54

If we could all finish off our kits to this excellent standard, the world would be a much happier place! I could look at that Vixen for hours and still keep the smile on my face. It’s a bit too early in the morning to think of more superlatives, so I’ll save some for the final finish. 

Cheers... Dave 

• Like 3

Wow stunning build!  

Between your build and watching Sea Vixens like this

Makes one want to dig out a Sea Vixen kit and have a go!  

(except the decals would have to be "fist" ones though!)  

• Like 3

On 28/07/2019 at 16:44, Heather Kay said:

That's turned out a proper smasher! I'd be pleased as Punch if I'd built that.

Thanks very much for the kind comment Heather. Like a lot of modellers l feel there are a few areas that I could have made a better job of, but I am pretty darned chuffed with how this is looking.

On 28/07/2019 at 16:53, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful Sea Vixen 👍🏻 ... I really need to add the Twin Boom fighters to my collection.  

Cheers Dennis, I think that a Venom, Vixen and Vampire would look great sat alongside your Buccaneer.

On 28/07/2019 at 17:00, PeterB said:

Beautiful job John. Your EDSG has come out very well and in some shots has that elusive blue tinge I never seem to get with my paint - what did use? You mention Humbrol 123 but when I have used that it always seems just Grey.

Thanks for the comment Peter. I can confirm that the paint used is Humbrol 123 with a couple of coats of clear. I have been pondering about the colour since your previous post and to me it seems about right, but that is only my personal opinion. I must admit that is a peculiar colour and there are times, when viewed in bright conditions, that some surfaces appear to have a grey hue whilst others in the same photo look to be the elusive blue/grey that you are seeking.

The photographs from yesterday have been taken under natural light conditions, and like most of the country it was a rather dull day, maybe that accounts for the blue/grey appearance in some shots. 

I don't know if you have tried Sovereign Hobbies Colourcoats range of enamel paints, but I believe that their paints are carefully matched to primary sources. I have used them on some USN aircraft and have found them to give excellent coverage, and when used in conjunction with their thinners they seem to dry better. There is a minimum order requirement of 6 tins but you may find what you are looking for.

22 hours ago, TonyW said:

A beautiful looking model. The drop tanks and rocket pods really do take things to a different level.

I'm used to looking at the first issue FROG version, your take on the later one blows the old model right out the water!

Tony.

Thanks very much Tony. The Reskit RN Launchers make a big difference, and the drop tanks and pylons are the kit supplied items.

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Stunning simply stunning. What a Bobby dazzler.

I take it that those brownie points are building up nicely too !!!

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris. I am not doing too bad on the Brownie points front at the minute mate. :winkgrin:

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

If we could all finish off our kits to this excellent standard, the world would be a much happier place! I could look at that Vixen for hours and still keep the smile on my face. It’s a bit too early in the morning to think of more superlatives, so I’ll save some for the final finish. 

Cheers... Dave 

Thanks a lot Dave, Just don't let those superlatives become expletives. :lol:

20 hours ago, Rob S said:

Wow stunning build!  

Makes one want to dig out a Sea Vixen kit and have a go!  

(except the decals would have to be "fist" ones though!)  

Cheers Rob and thanks for sharing that excellent video link. Get that Sea Vixen kit out, you know you want to build it.  :winkgrin:

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That looks magnificent! 

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks very much Adrian, I am hoping to have everything wrapped up tomorrow.

• Like 6

I completed most of the remaining little jobs on this yesterday, adding the hatches and door this morning, and so that is it for this build. Some may question the logic of spending money on aftermarket parts for an old kit, but shape wise this ex-FROG kit is essentially pretty good.  Whilst it isn't one of the modern 'shake 'n' bake' jobs I feel that the end result was worth the effort and expenditure.

48421635296_36e4c28e90_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr 

48421788032_edc1aaa8f0_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

48421788232_705b2b8f12_b.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

Thanks to you all for the comments and support along the way.

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Another stunning build good buddy.  You must be running out of room in the cabinet. 

Thanks for the comment matey. I ran out of cabinet room earlier this year, for some reason Mrs N is being completely unreasonable and is refusing to let me hang them from the ceilings. :shrug: :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Thanks for the comment matey. I ran out of cabinet room earlier this year, for some reason Mrs N is being completely unreasonable and is refusing to let me hang them from the ceilings. :shrug: :lol:

Oh dear! I find sneaking the odd one into a bookshelf every now and again works. 

• Haha 1

Now that’s truly something special John, honestly this Vixen is hands down the best build of this kit I’ve ever come across. An outstanding result and more than worth the effort in my books. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 3

Hi John,

Yes the rocket pods are a great advance on the bog standard RAF ones previously available. Don't know if it is true but I have read that the ones fitted to RN carrier based aircraft were different to the ones used by RAF machines because of the problem of powerful ship-borne radar setting the ruddy things off. Apparently the standard RAF Matra type pods were therefore banned. I have been waiting a few years for somebody to make the correct ones. I just hope the new Airfix Buccaneer will have the correct 2" pods as I prefer not to spend £10 to buy aftermarket ones.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...