F. 238 Blackburn Buccaneer " The Flying Pirate!"

That's looking the business Dennis. I have a Master pitot for the Buccaneer if you want it. I have used the refuelling probe for my Sea Vixen, which isn't the correct shape but it s better than the lump in the kit box. Anyway, the pitot from that set is going spare so drop me a PM with some address details if you can use it. It will be Thursday before I can get it in the post for you though..

• Thanks 1

Hello everybody... still working on this and the weapons (martel's) are built up. The martel data-link pod is repaired and looking good.

7dEfzH5.jpg

They're all ready for paint which should come over the next few days. Family commitments over the next two weekends are tying my time up. This is what has been slowing down work across the board.

Dennis

• Like 6

Hello everyone... I was about to call this done and realized i missed one thing. So i will take care of that tomorrow and give you the full grouping of photo's. Heres a taste of weapons load-out to hold you over.  

sRxjH2u.jpg

I tried to match this photograph from @canberra kid of the real deal. 

EuIXunT.jpg

UshVXsG.jpg

4ZrUumd.jpg

Im still expecting a package from @nimrod54 with a metal pitot for this. I also need to paint the N.Metal band at the front of the intakes, and the burner cans. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 8

4 hours ago, David Womby said:

Wasn't the Buccaneer an amazingly purposeful looking machine!

Yes it was, the more i research the plane the more i like her. Respect to Blackburn for designing her so well. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a US designer visited Blackburn at Brough to find out about the "blown" wing and then used the info for one of their USN planes, but can't remember which one it was - the wing allows shorter take offs and landings without the need for variable geometry, and was essential for such a heavy plane as the Bucc on small UK carriers. May not have been the first plane to use it but certainly one of the earliest production models as against experimental machines I believe. Coupled with the strong wing it made the Bucc an impressive performer for its day, and a mean looking machine. I am entering at least 2 in the Bucc GB next year.

Pete

• Like 2

Hi Dennis,

congratulation on a great looking Bucc! 

This was a real fight, and you won it.

In my eyes, the Buccaneer is one of these creatures only its mother would ever find beautiful. In my book, it is British design at its best: who cares what it looks like, as long as it is efficient! A bit like the Lightning and quite a lot of others.

I can just hear the designers: Hey, let's piddle the Frenchies off and make this plane as ugly as we can!!!

Great show!

JR

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Dennis,

congratulation on a great looking Bucc! 

This was a real fight, and you won it.

In my eyes, the Buccaneer is one of these creatures only its mother would ever find beautiful. In my book, it is British design at its best: who cares what it looks like, as long as it is efficient! A bit like the Lightning and quite a lot of others.

I can just hear the designers: Hey, let's piddle the Frenchies off and make this plane as ugly as we can!!!

Great show!

JR

Um, ‘scuse me!?!?  The Buccaneer’s nowhere near as ugly as, for example, the A-10 or the Mirage III/V series😝.  At one time it was the fastest non-afterburning penetration vehicle in the NATO inventory and could have seriously spoiled the day of lots of Soviet sailormans or infantry/armour/artillery peoples had the requirement to supply them with buckets of instant sunshine arisen.  You want ugly?  Your starters for ten: Avro Bison, F-111, Yak 36, American not 143.

• Haha 1

Very well done Dennis.. we have all enjoyed watching this Buccaneer being built and coming alive during this GB. It's a lovely tribute and a great addition on here. 

Cheers and thanks... Dave 

• Thanks 1

Hi Dennis,

The datalink pod was a bit odd - the pylon it was mounted on was "back to front". Normal instinct is to mount it with the slopes the same as the other weapons pylons, but in fact it was "reversed" which has probably caught a few modellers out in the past.

datalink-crop

I can't see which way round yours is but I expect you have got it right. However in the above pic (and 2 others) it seems to be under the starboard wing as indeed is the one in the Airfix kit I believe. I have this pic in 2 different books and although one is labelled Data Link the other says it is the Martel training TV simulator, which I suspect is correct. Perhaps they just used whichever inner pylon was handy as the pic you have does show it on the port side, all of which highlights the problem we modellers can have with references not always being definitive.

Anyway it looks great to me.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

I can't see which way round yours is but I expect you have got it right. However in the above pic (and 2 others) it seems to be under the starboard wing as indeed is the one in the Airfix kit I believe. I have this pic in 2 different books and although one is labelled Data Link the other says it is the Martel training TV simulator, which I suspect is correct. Perhaps they just used whichever inner pylon was handy as the pic you have does show it on the port side, all of which highlights the problem we modellers can have with references not always being definitive.

Its facing the correct way as the pod and pylon were molded in that form i only had to choose slopes back or forward. After all my research and an entire thread written & dedicated to finding out about it. I made dang sure i didn't wind up with 🍳on my face. I did that with my Spitfire Mk.18 ( underwing codes both face the same way :rage:), and I still get sick about that one. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/07/2019 at 14:51, PeterB said:

Hi Dennis,

The datalink pod was a bit odd - the pylon it was mounted on was "back to front". Normal instinct is to mount it with the slopes the same as the other weapons pylons, but in fact it was "reversed" which has probably caught a few modellers out in the past.

datalink-crop

Anyway it looks great to me.

Pete

Pete, the data link pod was pointy end forward, the bulbous rear received the picture signal from the TV guided missile and transmitted the commands back to it.  The receiver and command transmitter were in the back of the pod because after launching the missile the aircraft did a 180 degree turn, away from the "danger zone"  It could only operate one missile at a time.  Your picture is indeed a TV Martel training simulator, used to train the back seater to "fly" the missile towards the target.  It did not control the aircraft, the pilot simulated the missile attack profile on the "target" ship.  The pointy Anti Radar missile, once it obtained the operating radar signal was a fire and forget weapon, and could not be controlled after launch.  With an airburst proximity fuse in the large blast warhead, as it dived on to the target it detonated, blasting away all the aerials on the ship leaving it "blind" so that the TV missiles with their armour piercing warheads could sink it.  Both missile types were replaced by the Sea Eagle missile by 1990.

Bob

• Like 1