F. 238 Blackburn Buccaneer " The Flying Pirate!"

Thank you very much Adrian,

Ive been busy today on this, i added belts to the seats and ejection loops to each seat. The fuselage was glued, nose and tail cone were added. I put a moderate amount of weight in the nose and just in front of the cockpit. The nose cone will need a decent amount of filler along with the tail cone. 

PR8RQQ8.jpg

BkA3JLy.jpg

Uu8XsTy.jpg

This is one LONG plane my phone was about a foot away to get the whole plane in frame. I will be using the paper tubing idea to creat some intakes. I found some plastic straws, and using the same technique as Adrian's and made the exhaust ducts today. For a first try it went well. Some dark grey/black paint in there and will look good.

I did add some hoses in the wheel bays. I also boxed the front wheel bay in so should be pretty good on that front. As I've written elsewhere I'm really getting into the Buccaneer.  I am eager for the new Airfix kit to show up as possible. I have at least two, more likely three Buccaneers i would really love to do. An RAF Operation Granby Buccaneer, a RN Buccaneer, and the Yellow Buccaneer i was originally going to do. Questions, comments, or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

Looking excellent Dennis. From my calibrated eye, it looks like Frog got the shape of this one down quite nicely. Glad your enjoying the build and the back research that goes along with most / all builds. 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good!

I built this as a teenager back when it was current production. I seem to recall that the fin is a bit short, the right height being roughly level with the top of the locating tab for the tailplane. I recall adding strips of plasticard to either side of the tab then sitting the tailplane on top.

It was 40 years ago now so memory may not be what it could be but reasonably sure - anybody else got any thoughts on this?

Loved this kit though as it was an S.2 whereas the only other Bucc, the Airfix one, was an S.1/NA39 of suspect outline and suspiciously slim main gear!

• Thanks 1

So i filled the bad areas the other night. This afternoon I ground off all the filler. I really do mean ground off the filler on this thing. It has very few panel lines left. At least along the sides and nose. Now its just fine sanding, re-scribing, and polishing.  

kVsMaFA.jpg

QxQx590.jpg

Ive gotten some good info now and i have a data link pod coming from another member. So looks like i will be adding the Martels after all. Questions, comments, and or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

Hello everyone... Well not much but i have started polishing the wings and fuselage. 

EXtHUdd.jpg

wTUaJxN.jpg

Ive test fitted the wings by the way. Lets just say not the best, and not the worst fit. The port wing is definitely better though. Once the main polishing and re-scribing is done i will add the wings and stabilizer. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

EDIT: I have added the paper intakes. Not the easiest thing to do, I'm thinking its a practice makes perfect thing ? Hopefully in the end it will look ok. The exhaust pipes on the other hand are questionable at best. One is ok the other is kind of 🥚shaped. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

Hello everybody... Well I've not been idle, i have sanded the life out of this poor model. Panel lines ? What are those ? I rescored the wing break but thats pretty much it. 

8aGR1U6.jpg

jklmOou.jpg

The horizontal stab popped off while i was sanding. I had to replace the broken tab and have re-glued it i should be able to handle that in a day or two. Questions or comments  ? 

Dennis

• Like 7

Intakes look good! If you are not doing NMF (you aren’t!) then you can draw on panel lines with pencil before a matt coat if you need to.

Are you planning to extend the fin by an mm or two before putting the tailplane on? I have heard that it makes a significant difference.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree, those intakes do make a tonne of difference, good going there. Just asking, are you planning to sand back all those raised panel lines Dennis? If you have started to rescribe, you may want to consider going all one way or the other. A mix of both might work, but I’d be removing some that have already been partially sanded such as the ones over the nose cone. 

Another tip (if you don’t mind me mentioning) is to use the finest grade wet ‘n dry paper as possible, start with a coarse (400) grade and then work though the grades until you get a nice smooth finish - 600, 800, 1200 etc. a sheet of each of these sand papers will only cost a few cents from your local hardware shop and will last a good while. 

Cheers and enjoying this Bucc coming together.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Are you planning to extend the fin by an mm or two before putting the tailplane on? I have heard that it makes a significant difference

I did think about it but with the original connection not the best joint. And the replacement i wasn't keen on the idea of a butt join. So i just took a pass on that bit. 

10 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Another tip (if you don’t mind me mentioning) is to use the finest grade wet ‘n dry paper as possible, start with a coarse (400) grade and then work though the grades until you get a nice smooth finish - 600, 800, 1200 etc. a sheet of each of these sand papers will only cost a few cents from your local hardware shop and will last a good while. 

Ahead of you on that one. I have sand paper/polishing cloths out to 4000 grit. Im already at 1200 now. 2000 grit is my standard finish. Unless I'm really having issues then i take it to the full range. As for re-scribing i will do those lines that i can still make out. The rest will be removed. If i can get a decent drawing Adrian's pencil idea would be a good idea ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

In preparation for my intended build of 2 Buccs later this year, I bought some nice resin sets from Freightdog over here - they do early and late nosecones and horizontal tails with the correct top bit - tail warning radar or whatever.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PeterB said:

In preparation for my intended build of 2 Buccs later this year, I bought some nice resin sets from Freightdog over here - they do early and late nosecones and horizontal tails with the correct top bit - tail warning radar or whatever.

If I actually had $ I would have bought some Aftermarket goodies for this. My next budget 💉 won't be until August (B'day). I'm planning on at least 2-3 of the airfix kit when it makes an appearance. I will be able to do more accurate Buccaneers in the future. 

• Like 1

To be honest, It's amazing what can be achieved on a small modelling budget. Perhaps it's due to my upbringing but I hardly ever (if ever) consider buying Photo etch or Resin after market goodies and rely on the ever resourceful spares box or plastic card / strip to embellish what's required. I also think it's quite rewarding when you make something almost out of nothing and it still looks the part. Don't get me wrong, some of the latest AM stuff is so good and I do splash plenty of cash for decals, however I feel that (at times) a fair bit of this extra stuff is not worthwhile. Anyway - each to their own I suppose... 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 03/06/2019 at 23:07, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im still trying to determine what the Martels looked like ? I think they were white at this early stage ?  I found photo's of Martels in Green or grey, but think that was in the later years, maybe 80's. Does anyone know when the TV guided version of the Martels entered service ? These photo's i believe are from testing the missiles. 

Operational Martel missiles were painted gloss light aircraft grey at the beginning of their service, 12 Sqn RAF in 1974 and Royal Navy on the Ark Royal from 1975.  Within a few years the low-vis changes had both types painted dark green.  I started working on this weapon system in 1982, just after the Falklands unpleasantness.  The FROG kit is of a S.Mk 2A, which means it is ex-navy and able to carry Martels, new build Buccaneers for the RAF  were to S.Mk 2B standard with the bomb bay fuel tank modification.  I mention this because the crashed aircraft was a S.Mk 2B so you will need to modify the bomb bay fuel tank, In case you were wondering, the bumps on the kit bomb bay door are to clear the 4 X bomb carriers for conventional weapon carriage.  If there is anything else I can help you with, please ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking really good - those intakes are excellent - they and the main bays transform the feel of the model.

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone well i sprayed this today with a coat of Tamiya rattlecan primer. Ive had some issues (3 times) with that primer, and i wont be using it again. It comes out super wet and some of it forms 1 cm long blobs in the air. When it hits the model it looks like bubbles, but when i go to pop them its all paint ? Anyhow I've sanded them off and puttied the couple of small spots that needed it. 

sFQtJB3.jpg

I did mock fit the landing gear before i sprayed the primer. ExDBA5S.jpg

Looks like thats all good. Questions, comments, or thoughts about the primer ? 

Dennis

• Like 6

Nice to see this one coming on so well Dennis. Sorry to hear about your primer woes though - I've personally never had a problem with Tamiya primer (on the few occassions that I've used it).

I'm looking forward to seeing some colour!

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Nice to see this one coming on so well Dennis. Sorry to hear about your primer woes though - I've personally never had a problem with Tamiya primer (on the few occassions that I've used it).

I'm looking forward to seeing some colour!

Neither have I cliff ? The cans did sit for a long time (18 months) since I last used them. Only God knows when they were made, and for how long they sat in the hobby shop rack ? So they could be well past there use by date. I normally don't prime but with certain plastic colors and paints being so close to each other I figured I would make it easier on myself by priming. 🙄Made more work in the end but it should result in some decent paint work, so worth the aggravation in the end. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Looking good! The primer issue sounds very strange but it’s turned out well ( presumably after quite a lot more sanding). I rarely prime anything, and when I do it’s with auto primer (big cheap cans, tough as nails) so I can’t offer any insight into what might have gone wrong, I’m afraid.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Dennis, the weather can often be a factor if you are spraying outside. High humidity plays havoc with spray cans, so it's best to avoid spraying 'anything' when it's too hot. I've only used Tamiya's Primer spray cans twice and had a 50/50 success ratio, the cooler day having a far better ending. Either way, you have recovered which is always a big plus in this hobby. Your Bucc is looking great. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Hello all... Well i was able to do a few odds & ends on this today. I masked the canopy and mounted it.

PYVtyMU.jpg

I also sprayed the Light aircraft grey on the lowers. 

Bka1bbf.jpg

That will sit for a few days before i hit the uppers. Im using the same upper colors as the Tempest i am working on currently. Questions, comments, or thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 7

I think you’ve nailed that Light Aircraft Grey Dennis, looking very good. So what’s the next Frog kit we can put you down for?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks Dave I'd really love to build a couple more, but I'm a one trick pony this time around. I only have the one Frog kit. However if i had my choice some of the Twin tailed V-jets would be aces to build. The Vampire, Venom, and Sea-Vixen. 

Dennis

PS- I'm hoping to snag a few more Heller kits between now and next fall for that build. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1