F. 238 Blackburn Buccaneer " The Flying Pirate!"

Ooh Sorry ... I haven't forgotten about this one. I finally caught up last night with my Tempest build. So i masked for the upper grey on this at about 01:30 local. I will attempt to paint both this and the Tempest later today ? I say attempt only because i haven't slept since yesterday morning ? One of my sad and very long term issues is insomnia. Im going to try and get whatever sleep i am able to. See how i feel and that will determine my course of action ? 

Dennis

Hello everybody... Well i sprayed the Ocean grey when i got home from court today. Tonight i masked the Buccaneer using the tape masks for it. Its not 100% accurate but i couldn't find a good three way showing the demarcation lines perfectly. I will soften some of the rough spots using poster-tac worms

ML5CqXc.jpg

0gMnWt1.jpg

uEMdXdW.jpg

Tomorrow i plan on spraying the Dk. Green on both this and the Tempest. Questions, comments, or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 9

Hi Dennis

The Bucc is looking great, love what you did with the cockpit, U/C bays and intakes (thanks @AdrianMF for the Idea, never thought of that as a medium, an excellent Idea).

This is progressing very well indeed. What s lovely model.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

That looks smashing Dennis... I'm sure you'll agree that the lower LAG demarkation would be best applied as a neat straight line, the rest of the camo looks quite good so there's only a few minor corrections to be made. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I'm sure you'll agree that the lower LAG demarkation would be best applied as a neat straight line, 

Hello Dave I agree with that but I'm confused. Is this a standard or non standard scheme ? Im not very familiar with Buccaneers and i regret that, as I cannot apply good knowledge to the build. Now from you're comment. Are we talking about the two points of camouflage in the photo that extend back  ? It seems that the camouflage forward of the wings carries back along the lower fuselage, and along the sides of the intake ? Or are we talking about just needing straighter edges along the demarcations of LAG and the upper colors. 

gcwGCe4.jpg

Sorry to bother you but any help her will be greatly appreciated. I feel bad that i only know some cursory basics about most British aircraft, armor, and ships. This is why I seem to ask quite a few questions in the main areas devoted to those subjects. I just get to a point where i feel i can be a bother because i ask so much ? Im sure I'm not, but that doesn't stop me from feeling/thinking that. 

Dennis 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3

Hello everyone... well i thought about and decided to re-mask everything and re-spray the L.A. Grey to tighten up the lines. Its still not perfect but i do believe its within my specs for acceptability. What do you think  ? 

lRz8JYb.jpg

9kCTUcb.jpg

Questions, comments, and/or thoughts ? 

Dennis

• Like 9

Sorry Dennis, didn’t get a chance to answer you earlier. It would seem that in real life the upper surface colours are somewhat soft edged, however the lower surface demarcation is really sharp. Your later model photos capture this look better. A quick tidy up on that starboard lower edge intake and I think you’ve got this one sorted.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone... sorry for the delay. We had unexpected house guests. 

On 6/30/2019 at 7:37 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

A quick tidy up on that starboard lower edge intake and I think you’ve got this one sorted.

So a couple of resprays later and this is as good as it gets. Im going to the next stage as i really don't think i can get it any better ? Ive since clear coated the plane in anticipation of decaling. :pray: :shutup:

eU9ymdw.jpg

Please share if you have any thoughts, questions, comments, or good stories ? 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 6

I've just caught up on this. I built this kit in SA markings when I was a kid so many memories being brought back here.

Unfortunately mine ended its days as a test airframe to see how the aircrew could float clear when crash landed in a swimming pool!

Ian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I built this kit in SA markings when I was a kid

I wouldn't mind the S/A Markings but don't have the proper paints. Maybe once the new Airfix kit arrives. 

10 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

Unfortunately mine ended its days as a test airframe to see how the aircrew could float clear when crash landed in a swimming pool!

I suspect more than a few ended there days in crash testing.  

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

couple of resprays later and this is as good as it gets

I don’t think I would have resprayed even once! It looks great - decal time!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Hello everyone... well i have placed the main decals on the Buccaneer. Im not sure how well the originals will work, they're currently soaking in a 3rd bath of Microsol and still curling. 

VRKiCAj.jpg

oCt2Mcw.jpg

HqCxR5f.jpg

wzTTdLw.jpg

If the microsol doesn't work completely i will try a couple of tricks i know. Either clear pva or future and water to set the decals. In the end if that doesn't work i shelve the build and will order a new set of decals in August. I had a set on order but canceled when i thought i could get these to work ? 

Dennis

• Like 5

It's been a while since I dropped in on your Bucc. build Dennis. Looking good bud, and well done on delineating between the upper camouflage and lower LAG, it's not an easy thing to do when trying to follow the Buccaneer contours. 

@Corsairfoxfouruncle

Your decaling post has landed as I was posting this reply Dennis. Looking even better with those few decals on. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Don’t things look so much better when a few ‘D’ type roundels are added. This is looking very nice Dennis and I hope those decals settle down well enough so that you can see this one to completion and gallery status. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hello everyone... I was able to finish the decals on the Buccaneer today. Not many but there are the no walk rectangles, ejection seat warning triangles, and an odd couple of stencils. 5rYGwBR.jpg

eYZPPOU.jpg

1INp6eM.jpg

Not much left to do on this, i will be starting the Martels & the pylons for them tomorrow or the next day. 

Dennis

• Like 6

There's something really smart and business like with sixties RAF markings. The roundels look very distinctive against the green and grey. Buccaneers and Phamtoms look so nice in the scheme. Your take on the subject is looking better and better every time I look in.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody... Well the plane is done minus pitot and weapons. I will be starting the load-out this week but here are a few photo's to hold you over until i mount them. 

9RxthEi.jpg

TWsninQ.jpg

ytavKmF.jpg

mfDMK1f.jpg

aui6b7N.jpg

T2FNqye.jpg

Questions, comments, thoughts, ot good stories about Buccaneers ? 

Dennis

• Like 8

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Questions, comments, thoughts, or good stories about Buccaneers

I think you’ve just given us a good visual story about Buccaneers there Dennis. She’s looking quite the part my friend, well done. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello everybody... well i started the weapons today. The Data link pod sent to me by @David Womby sadly somehow got damaged after i received it.

Y5B3eNj.jpg

It is salvageable but will take some time and patience. Its been glued and filled with putty this evening to finish out the profile. I suspect the weapons will be done by the end of the week and i can send this to the gallery. Questions or comments please ?

Dennis

• Like 5