FROG Squad Gallery

The poll will appear here when the GB has finished  

1. 1. Q1

• A1
    • A2

• 2 weeks later...

Frog F292 Junkers Ju88A-4

B3+PM, II/KG54, Totenkopf Geschwader, Russia, Winter 1942.

48014264127_5138ba575d_b.jpg

48014174241_a383fbe857_b.jpg

48014174171_2decfeb82e_b.jpg

48014263932_acce479736_b.jpg

48014185858_ac995d2d71_b.jpg

The F292 Junkers Ju88 was reissued in 1971. It was the 1964 kit with changes to allow the fitting of the Spin-A-Prop accessory and new transfers. While the model looks like a Ju88, it does show its age, and some of the changes made for compromises along the way. With its shortcomings compared to modern kits, and not actually needing a Ju88 for my collection, I elected for a quick build, in the manner of Saturday afternoons of yore. 

The colour guides and transfers allowed for a simple scheme, and I chose the Russian Front 1942 winter scheme for something a bit different. I've tried to retain as many of the original working features as possible. The model has been built wheels up and mounted on the stand because I don't do it very often and it looks quite effective to my mind. Painting is a mixture of Humbrol enamels and acrylics, with some gentle weathering by powders just to give the flat colours a little life.

I hadn't intended to complete the build so quickly, but it just went that way. It seems I may have been able to claim the pole position in the Gallery!

WIP thread is on this link:

• Like 43

390P Republic P47 Thunderbolt 1959

This one's the first issue of this kit, from way back in 1959. It scrubs up well for a sixty year old!

A straight out the box build, everything sort of fell into place on this build. All the parts fitted very well, not that there was many of them in the first place. The polished metal finish is S n' J polishing powder rubbed into the bare kit plastic. The product is no longer available unfortunately, I like it a lot. I'm also rapidly running out of the stuff. It's a bit delicate, fingerprints mark the finish and need re-polishing. It also dulls down a bit over the years but that makes it even better in my opinion. It can take a re-polish if you are careful around the markings. It will stain transfers at the drop of a hat. The transfers performed faultlessly.

No cockpit detail is provided with the kit. you can't see a lot in there anyway. Ditto wheel wells. nothing provided, bar an outline. I painted the wells black and had done with it.

All in all, a highly enjoyable build. It only took a day from start to finish as well. That's a good moral booster for my further contributions to the  Group Build.

Here's the model...

IMG-7597.jpg

IMG-7599.jpg

IMG-7604.jpg

IMG-7615.jpg

• Like 38
  • Thanks 1

F162 Blackburn Skua (1968 boxing).

This kit build represents a Skua MkII, L2991/Q from 803 Squadron, HMS Ark Royal. This aircraft was lost on July 13th 1940 when attacking the Scharnhorst. It force landed at Lanvik and the crew, Lt Cdr J. Casson and Lt P. E . Fanshawe were taken as POW's. Transfers are from various Modeldecal generic sheets.

Build log is here: 

48030686302_b368c84e10_b.jpg

48030581941_e6c9380512_b.jpg

48030623348_fb9ba49ce9_b.jpg

48030624528_f40b696c57_b.jpg

48030626403_944a6d9a5c_b.jpg

Thanks for looking, all the best,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 37

Lavochkin La-7 Russian Fighter F404 1974

My second entry for the Gallery got finished over the weekend. The build didn't exactly go smoothly, with all kinds of rookie mistakes from me. I ploughed on to the end though, and here's the result.

A three footer, but it's done.  Plus I have a model to add to my collection that probably wouldn't have been built if it were not for this Group Build. On those terms, I'm calling this one a success!

IMG-7638.jpg

IMG-7645.jpg

IMG-7643.jpg

IMG-7644.jpg

Build thread here...

• Like 30

Well, Heather's only finished one and Tony has only managed a rather meagre two, so I guess it's still quite early in the GB! Here's a Novo re-pop of Percival Proctor F341, build thread here:

IMG-6053.jpg

IMG-6054.jpg

IMG-6057.jpg

IMG-6058.jpg

IMG-6060.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 37

Another from me. This time it's another from 1959, the first issue of the P40 Kittyhawk.

A very relaxed build of a simple but effective enough kit.

From the early days of the plastic model kit industry, the kit is in 1.72 scale. Box scale was slowly being abandoned at the time and FROG were getting in their groove. Speaking of grooves, the engraved panel lines look fine to me, the engraved transfer placement lines however, might ruffle feathers. I don't mind them, they date the kit nicely and as I like to build in period that suits me just fine. There's no interior detail at all but once painted black in there, pretty much nothing is visible anyway. It's empty, but at least I know it's empty!

Paintwork is semi authentic. The boxart shows an unlikely cammo finish with the instructions calling out for dark green and dark grey topside with sky blue undersides. I passed on that and used an early Humbrol green that is a bit paler than olive green. A satin topcoat darkened it a bit and I think it looks OK for a 1959 or so build. The undersides are a medium grey.

As a nod to tradition, I melted the fixing pins on the undercarriage wheels with a heated blade, just like the old FROG instructions suggest. The wheels turn, along with a prop that spins! Cutting edge or what?

Enough waffle, here's the model...

IMG-7668.jpg

IMG-7678.jpg

IMG-7681.jpg

IMG-7682.jpg

Build thread here...

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 32

I'm on a bit of a roll at the moment, yet another gets finished today. Heavy rain at this end means plenty of shed time!

This time it's the later version of FROGs P40 Kittyhawk

Cleaned up in 1969 as part of a deal with AMT, the engraved panel lines and transfer guides were replaced with fine raised lines and the placement guides got done away with. This enabled more than one decal option and the FROG version got two western desert options.

Here's how mine turned out, box stock as usual. Nothing added except paint.

IMG-7691.jpg

IMG-7693.jpg

IMG-7700.jpg

IMG-7712.jpg

IMG-7715.jpg

I'm new to acrylic paints and it does rather show. I much prefer using old stock paints but I'm not averse to giving the new stuff a go as well. 

The base is a bit of card with BBQ dust and sand applied over diluted PVA glue. It's cheap as chips and gets the job done for pennies.

Tony.

• Like 35

FROG/Eastern Express, Soviet Spitfire Mk.Vb, 1942, "FROG GB meets Spitfire A-Go-Go..."

Here are some finished images.  If anything, this build reminded me that aside from the Migs, etc...I have very few Russian/Soviet aircraft on the shelves, a dearth that must be rectified!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I must get cracking on some more WW2 Soviet birds!  

Many thanks to the GB hosts!  I'll get into another one presently...back to the Fokker VIIb  'Southern Cross' , I hope...

--John

• Like 28

Another one rolls of the line...

This time it's the F4 Corsair from 1971. NZ markings, as called out on the instruction sheet, not quite true to life apparently, so mine now represents a generic faded NZ aircraft. Completely box stock, with a bit of faded paintwork as the only extra, oh, and tape seat belts that can be seen if you look hard enough. The sandy Atoll base was a Western Desert one with a P40 on it earlier on. It seems to suit the F4 as well, so it's getting double duties.

A fun build.

Yet another type that wouldn't have got built if not for the Group Build. These things crank up my modelling output to a very satisfactory level.

IMG-7782.jpg

IMG-7783.jpg

IMG-7784.jpg

IMG-7785.jpg

IMG-7786.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 1

First duplicate - although this is an original Frog version - the 2nd Proctor

DSC03748

DSC03750

DSC03749

Although the transfer are over 50 years old, they went on perfectly  It is rare for me to mount a model on a stand but in this case I feel the stand is a integral part of the build.

• Like 25

F266 BAC Lightning F.6 XR725/A

RAF Leuchars September 1968

The original aircraft had visited the Toronto Airshow in Canada, hence the 'Air Canada' zaps on the fin.

48113819477_438a398ac8_b.jpg

48113759213_ee6e5b00f0_b.jpg

48113721211_26da2db170_b.jpg

48113761933_1cfc9ecd0d_b.jpg

48113762783_5fb970f645_b.jpg

The build thread is here:

Thanks for looking,

All the best,

Ray

Edited by Ray S
Tidy the post
  • Like 38

The final little touches went on to my Tempest build this afternoon, so it's time to post it to the Gallery.

Build thread here...

...and finished model here!

The model builds well straight out the box, my version wears the markings of Roland Beamont, who shot down 31 Flying Bombs using the Tempest!

I think I'm right in saying this was the only FROG kit to have the clear, spinning prop as an option included in the kit. It's a bit toy like really, but ten out of ten for effort by FROG.

IMG-7874.jpg

IMG-7881.jpg

Nice as it is, straight out the box, it comes to life a bit when combined with the stand and Flying Bomb from FROGs Spitfire/V1 kit. The combination even follows the Tempest box top to the point you start thinking it always came that way. A very enjoyable build indeed.

The Stand along with the V1 will get used again once I've finished the Spitfire that should be sat on it.

IMG-7885.jpg

IMG-7887.jpg

IMG-7888.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 27

Many thanks to Jockney for hosting such a fine GB.  I'll admit, growing up in America, I didn't build any FROG kits as a boy that I can remember.  Mine were always Airfix, Monogram, Revell...So this has been fun and taught me a great deal.  

The WiP is here...

Flying high above my modelling bench...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 32

Hi,

This is my attempt to represent the Me 410 currently residing in the RAF Museum at Cosford. Work Number 429430, it is the A1/U2 variant – a type A1 with a factory fitted modification allowing a pack with 2 MG151 20mm cannon to be bolted into the bomb bay for use as a bomber destroyer. It carries the badge of ZG26 Horst Wessel on the nose and the markings indicate it is an aircraft of the second Gruppe – II/ZG26, possibly the 5th Staffel. The current markings on this machine may or may not be original – I don't know. By modern standards there are accuracy issues, but for its day it was not bad. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it (well most of the time anyway).

DSC01452 DSC01455 DSC01458 DSC01461 DSC01463

Next up the Bf 110G2/R3 and/or the He 162 A2 - Thanks for watching.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 26

Here's the scrap pile Hunter rescue, now with added redness...

A rescue, rebuild and repaint of a beat to death old model. The nose got a bit of filler and reshaping to something like the pointed one on the Record Breaker plane. Roundels from an old FROG sheet, complete with slight mismatch to the red centres. Serials and codes from Extradecal and red finish from a rattle can, polished up with T cut. The original canopy had a large crack running through it so it got finished with chrome ink Molotow pen. The finished model is more a desk display type than a detailed build but I'm more than happy with it.

IMG-7968.jpg

IMG-7962.jpg

IMG-7963.jpg

IMG-7964.jpg

IMG-7967-copy.jpg

Build thread here...

• Like 32

And yet another from me!

. The canopy gave loads of problems and only just passes muster after no end of faffing about. It's a three footer for sure, but I'm happy enough to have the kit to display alongside my other FROG models.

Build thread here...

And finished model here...

I've removed the stand in Photoshop for the second picture. A black stand on a black background base was a bit distracting.

IMG-7981.jpg

IMG-7970.jpg

IMG-7978.jpg

IMG-7977.jpg

Edited by TonyW
Added pictures.
  • Like 27

Here's a Westland Wyvern, with a bit of scratched extra detail and a Falcon canopy:

IMG-6067.jpg

IMG-6071.jpg

IMG-6074.jpg

IMG-6075.jpg

IMG-6077.jpg

IMG-6079.jpg

At the risk of being instantly expelled from Britmodeller with a fresh boot print on my behind, I have to say I'm not a great fan of 1950s FAA colour schemes. But I have warmed to this kit since resuming it after 6 years, and thanks to the hosts for giving me a KUTA to get it finished!

WIP thread is here.

Thanks for looking,

Adrian

• Like 35

F333 Fairey Delta 2 1/72, WG774, SBAC Farnborough airshow 1957 'God awful Purple'

Please find attached for your aural consumption, my attempt at the 1964 tooling of the record breaking aircraft, the Fairey Delta 2.

Fd2 Fd2 48233884672_3a525bf70b_b.jpg

48233810111_21e37743ac_b.jpg 48233810096_d48af73679_b.jpg

When I embarked on this GB, got a couple of bagged kits from my father, but came across this beauty (albeit in a novo boxing). I was looking for decals as the Novo ones are notoriously bad, and came across the example I have modelled here. After a while discussing with @PeterB, I sorted some decals and paint out and started on the kit... there were less around 20 parts... this should be easy! How wrong was I you ask? Very 😂.

WIP is here: 

More time was spent filling and sanding this brute than putting it together, but doesn't that make the end result all the more satisfying? Despite messing up the first coats of paint and having to sand down again I am pretty happy with my representation of this historic and classic aircraft. I think this has got me hooked on post-war British jets as I am eyeing up an SR53!

Thanks for watching folks.

Ash 

• Like 32