Harrier GR3 1/72

delticfan

My vote would be to find the Esci GR3 or the Italeri GR3, which is a rebox of the Esci kit. The Hasegawa and Airfix GR3's aren't that bad, with the Hasegawa kit having better panel line scribing, but the Airfix kit has a better cockpit. If you go with the Esci/Italeri  kit, I would suggest an aftermarket bang seat and exhaust nozzles. if you are going to build your model on the ground, then you will want to either cut and reposition the blow-in doors or get one of the aftermarket replacement intakes that have these already positioned, as with power off, they range from fully open at the top to closed at the bottom- look at photos of a GR3 in the link below to see what I mean. Fujimi also did a pretty nice GR3, and they can still be found pretty cheaply at trade shows and auction sites. I hope one of our resident Harrier authorities can be more helpful, but this should get you started in the right direction.

Mike

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/harrier/harrier_walk.shtml

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 1

I have an ESCI GR3 winging it's way to me via the bay. It will go into my sale thread presently.

(Hey, I'd read good things about it and was curious, but I very probably won't build it).

Both the Airfix and Esci (also reboxed by Italeri) kits have IMHO pros and cons.

The Italian kit is IMHO better moulded, with very fine panel lines, sharp details and a good fit. At the same time the cockpit is very empty, the ejection seat is useless and for some reason Esci moulded a fairing under the wing where the outer pylon is attached. This fairing exists but is only used when the pylon is not installed so should be sanded flush is the pylon is glued in place. The auxiliary doors on the intakes are moulded closed, Pavla does a nice resin set but of course this adds to the cost. Accuracy is pretty good overall but a few small details are more suitable for the Sea Harrier. Decals were not bad in the original Esci boxes but they may not be useable today. Italeri decals look good bit IMHO the stencils are too large and not realistic when applied.

The British kit is not as sharply moulded but the cockpit is way better, with a decent seat. Instrument panels are decals on both kits but the shape in the Airfix kit is more correct.

Auxiliary doors can be posed open or closed, very nice touch. The tail on the GR.3 is not accurate as Airfix added the RWR fairing without adding the extra height of the real aircraft. There are aftermarket parts for this. Decals are very good and IMHO superior to those offered by Italeri.

My personal view is that as I have a Italeri kit in the stash I don't feel the need to buy an Airfix one. If I had to buy a new kit I'd probably buy whatever I can find cheaper and quicker

• Like 4

Apart from the short tail, the Airfix kit build up well. The tail is an easy fix, the cmk resin cockpit makes a big difference and as stated the decals are excellent. The hasegawa has shape issues around the cockpit and intakes.

I have all the 72nd GR.3 kits and my favourite for shape and finesse of detail is the Esci, followed closely by the similar Fujimi kit.

I find Airfix kits still have that heavy panel line work, but nice parts details.

Correcting the fin height is domething you shouldn't have to expect to do on a modern kit.

• Like 2

Strange, but  why anyone don't say  what only Airfix  kit does include the recce pod, and an alternative nose with the Falklands I band receiver bulge?

B.R.

Serge

P.S.

But I'm still an ESCI Harrier GR.3 fan!!!😉😎

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jordi said:

The surface detail of the 35 year old ESCI kit is far better than the new Airfix I’m sorry to say.  At least from my perspective.

Is this someone disputing?  I wrote quite clearly:

20 hours ago, Aardvark said:

But I'm still an ESCI Harrier GR.3 fan!!!😉😎

I am quite satisfied, my ESCI Harrier:

20190528-205637.jpg

But it is quite possible that someone needs the most Falklands - super Falklands Harrier, and it is impossible to make it out of the ESCI without  modifications. 

We just have to be objective.

B.R.

Serge