Eduard 1/48 Tempest

colin

While looking on line for build reveiws on the new Tempest, one thing that came up on one site was the poor packaging of the model, all the sprues in one bag in a box thats too big and allows the kit to move around excessively.

He had some damage on the cockpit tube framing, well I have series 1&2 so thought I'll just check and low and behold, broken in one kit and in pieces in the other, I can mend the one, but the other the tubing is in too many pieces to repair.

If you have the kit, just check yours, and what's it like getting spares from Edaurd anyone know.

Edit: I'll soon know about spares as just gone on Eduard site and found the support tag so email sent

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had to contact Eduard  in the past for a missing part, a wing sprue was missing from a kit I'd bought second hand. I'd recieved a replacement within a week, first class service. 

The same can be said for Special Hobby as well.

2 hours ago, colin said:

damage on the cockpit tube framing, well I have series 1&2 so thought I'll just check and low and behold, broken in one kit and in pieces in the other

Just checked my still sealed kit, and yes, it's broken.

It's the way its packed. The canopy rail is hard up against the inner fuselage half, tightly packed, the result is obvious.

Charlie

• Like 1

It doesn't help that the "tubing" seems very thin - if you compare it to the Special Hobby 1/32 kit they seem to have used a bigger diameter ( for the scale ). Not sure which is more accurate though has I don't own either kit yet.

tempbitsnopntweb.jpg

I think that's mainly due to it being 1/32, the Eduard 1/48 is very thin, as it should be for scale, but not as thin as their resin cockpit for the kit.

The breakages are due to poor packing by Eduard, sprues all in one bag and a box too big to help prevent excesive movement within

1 hour ago, colin said:

I think that's mainly due to it being 1/32, the Eduard 1/48 is very thin, as it should be for scale, but not as thin as their resin cockpit for the kit.

The breakages are due to poor packing by Eduard, sprues all in one bag and a box too big to help prevent excesive movement within

The scales got nothing to do with it,  I was saying it looks thinner for the scale. You say it should be very thin for the scale but the resin one is thicker? So one on them is wrong then and if the resin one is meant to be more accurate, this would suggest the kit one is too thin ( anyone know what the tubing diameter is on the real thing? )

If you've seen Roy Sutherlands comments on it, you'll see he broke his several times while working on it so it's not just the bad packaging that's the problem. If a professional model makers struggled with it then plenty of us normal modellers will probably have problems with it as well ( especially if you have fat clumsy hands like mine! ).

• Like 1

I didn't get to even remove it from the sprue, it was broken in the plastic bag, a lot of other people have the same problem.

I have other kits where the plastic is as thin as this and those parts are not in bits in the bag

Have you seen how Eduard have packed this kit first hand, the fuselage and wings have got scratch marks on them from the sprues rubbing together, it's not something you expect from Eduard

31 minutes ago, colin said:

I didn't get to even remove it from the sprue, it was broken in the plastic bag, a lot of other people have the same problem.

I have other kits where the plastic is as thin as this and those parts are not in bits in the bag

Have you seen how Eduard have packed this kit first hand, the fuselage and wings have got scratch marks on them from the sprues rubbing together, it's not something you expect from Eduard

I'm not saying it's not packed badly just pointing out that it's very fragile which is because either it's too thin or Eduard plastic is too brittle for this sort of construction. Even if the tubing is to scale it poses the question is it better to make it a bit thicker so it can actually be built?

Yes Eduard should have packed the kits better but maybe also put some blocking sprue around the parts like some manufacturer do with fragile parts. 

These are the pics I sent to Eduard. I've asked for a replacement part.

Dscf1006c

DSCF1010

DSCF1012

After Colin's post I checked my still sealed bag and one of the parts (F8) was damaged. The cause was too many sprues in a single bag leading to tight packing and the pressure caused by the fuselage half on the fragile part F8 it was pressed against. An avoidable breakage.

Charlie

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up there.

I've just checked my series 2 kit and lo - part of the cockpit framing is broken (and the broken-off part is missing). Several bits are floating around having separated from the sprues - a couple of spinners and part of the radiator.

However, this isn't too bad because I have a Brassin set I intend to use in the cockpit. I'd better check the state of that now!

Edited by Steve Coombs
More info
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Johnson said:

These are the pics I sent to Eduard. I've asked for a replacement part.

After Colin's post I checked my still sealed bag and one of the parts (F8) was damaged. The cause was too many sprues in a single bag leading to tight packing and the pressure caused by the fuselage half on the fragile part F8 it was pressed against. An avoidable breakage.

Charlie

That is some bad packing as that part is obviously stronger that the cockpit tubing. Hopefully Eduard will learn from this.

• Like 1

Got a very nice reply from Eduard support who are going to send me a replacement for the part.

13 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Hopefully Eduard will learn from this

Quite agree! Separate bags maybe?

Charlie 

7 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Got a very nice reply from Eduard support who are going to send me a replacement for the part.

Charlie 

Yes, maybe the fuselage and wings in one bag and the other sprues in another.

6 hours ago, Johnson said:

Charlie 

Like I said in my first post, you'll have no trouble getting replacement parts and quickly from Eduard, unlike a certain English company!

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Yes, maybe the fuselage and wings in one bag and the other sprues in another.

Which is what they normally do. It's strange that they feel the need to to place all the sprues of the Tempest in one bag. I understand the size of the box as its the standard size for the ProfiPack series.

2 hours ago, tank152 said:

Which is what they normally do. It's strange that they feel the need to to place all the sprues of the Tempest in one bag. I understand the size of the box as its the standard size for the ProfiPack series.

I know, but they have done some kits in one bag which you would expect in two - the Tiffy kit and the 1/72nd MiG-21 Royal class kit which had all the sprues for both aircraft in one bag, yet some kits have three or four bags. They are a bit inconsistent.

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect! Now remove that bar going across the cockpit opening. You cannot fit that part over the head rest with that bar in place. I believe it is for seat height adjustment . Anyways it can be replaced later, if you want, with a piece of plastic rod.

my credentials..........

decals-2.jpg

• Like 2