Bristol Beaufighter TF. X

After the endless struggle of the Revell Hudson, I wanted a quick and trouble-free build, so here’s my version of the 1/72 Airfix Bristol Beaufighter TF. X. As most builders seem to, I chose to depict NE829, flown by No.144 Squadron from RAF Banff in Aberdeenshire. 

Built straight from the box, this is a great little kit, with a fit good enough to negate the use of (almost) any putty . The engineering is - as with a lot of these 1/72 Airfix kits - clever enough to make simple constructions out of complicated forms. It’s been noted that the 3-part engine cowls are the least satisfying aspect of the kit, but the seams either line up with colour transitions or are covered by the exhaust or supercharger air intake - a nice detail, I thought. 

Although 1/72 isn’t my preferred scale, I was attracted to the rugged look of the Beau, with the big Popeye forearms of the Hercules engines and the rather worn look it had in most of the source photos I found. Using Tamiya paints throughout, I built numerous thin layers to break up the large monochrome expanses of the fuselage and integrate the weathering into the paint scheme. 

beau18

beau19

beau27

beau25

02beauJ

beau20

08beauI

10beau15

• Like 28

Looks really good.

A word to the wise... if you get the urge to do one in 1/48 DON'T do the Revell one …… trust me.

Dick