Tamiya 1/48 Douglas F4D-1 Skyray

This is one of my more recent builds.   It was my second Tamiya kit to finish and it was well-engineered and thoughtfully designed. I started this Skyray in 2012, only to put it aside about half finished. I returned to it and finished it in August 2015.  I took her out to the Cameron Airport for a little photo-session. We have a new hangar out there and I wanted to use it for a background. It was quite hot even in the time I was there, 10am-noon, building up to a heat index of 108 in the afternoon if I recall.:o

The Douglas F4D was a carrier-based American fighter. The 1947 Navy requirement for which it was designed called for an aircraft that could reach 50,000 feet in five minutes, enabling it to intercept enemy bombers.   Some interesting facts from Wikipedia:

"Although it was in service for a relatively short time (1956-1964) and never entered combat, it was the first carrier-launched aircraft to hold the world's absolute speed record, at 752.943 mph,[1] and was the first United States Navy and United States Marine Corps fighter that could exceed Mach 1 in level flight.[2]It was the last fighter produced by the Douglas Aircraft Company before it merged with McDonnell Aircraft and became McDonnell Douglas."

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_F4D_Skyray)

Even though the Skyray didn't see combat, it's intriguing to imagine how that might have played out.  It's first test flight occurred January 21, 1951, during the Korean War.  A couple of it's early test pilots, Bob Rahn and Major Marion Carl, said this about the Skyray:

" Rahn called the machine a "fighter pilot's dream", the best machine he had taken into the sky since flying the Spitfire. Its instability made it supremely agile for a skilled pilot, and Rahn claimed that he out-flew every Air Force chase plane sent up with him. Marine Major Marion Carl, one of the top test pilots of the era, flew the Skyray and claimed: "If we had this airplane now in Korea, I could just pop off the MiGs -- one, two, three."  (https://web.archive.org/web/20070805072633/http://www.vectorsite.net/avskyray.html)

The Skyray was also the only Navy jet fighter assigned to NORAD.  

"The F4D not only served with the US Navy and Marines, it also served under USAF command, though not with USAF pilots. One Navy Skyray squadron, VFAW-3 out of North Island in San Diego, was assigned to the North American Air Defense (NORAD) system under Air Force control, scrambling to intercept intruders entering the southwestern corner of the USA. The Navy Skyrays participated in Air Force interceptor competitions and walked away with their share of prizes. VFAW-3 Skyrays deployed to Naval Air Station Key West in Florida during the Cuban Missile Crisis in the fall of 1962, protecting US airspace from Cuban intruders. There were radar contacts with MiGs but nobody ever tried to force a confrontation."

(https://web.archive.org/web/20070805072633/http://www.vectorsite.net/avskyray.html)

The gull gray on top and insignia white underneath are Model Master enamel, and the wingwalks are Humbrol dark gull enamel. The leading edges were done with Humbrol matt aluminum. Paint was applied with my Paasche H using CO2. The paint scheme was deceptively simple at first but turned out to require a lot of masking, compounded by several mistakes on my part. The final finish is MM semi-glass acrylic clear and Future was used for a gloss-coat for decaling and weathering with Flory washes and pastel chalks. I used the kit decals for the most part with a few from my decal spares stash. EZ Masks were used for the canopy. It is pretty much all out of the box, with tape seatbelts added to the ‘pit. Originally, I intended to build her “clean” to show off the Skyray’s cool lines but in the end, I did gaudy her up with a full load-out. 😉

Looking back on my recent progress, I realize several were 1950s jets!  Man, I just love the planes from this era. The Navy and the Air Force weren’t afraid of trying any new designs it seems now, and new designs were coming off the ‘boards at a fast rate back then. It doesn’t help that all these cool aircraft were coming along when I was a tender youth, zooming their plastic lookalikes around my room and yard!  Thanks for taking a look at my “Ford” and as usual, I do appreciate your interest!

Gary

full%20view%20port%20good.jpg

starboard%20good.jpg

three%20quarter%20from%20starboard%20fro

SB%20facing%20south%20low%20good.jpg

port%20facing%20south%202.jpg

SB%20three%20quarter%20rear%20high%20ang

port%20three%20quarter%20rear%20brighter

front.jpg

SB%20three%20quarter%20front.jpg

straight%20on%20SB%20close%20up.jpg

straight%20on%20low%20angle%20SB.jpg

straight%20on%20port%20closeup.jpg

overhead%20SB%20.jpg

overhead%20port%20good%202.jpg

overhead%20port%20good%201.jpg

canopy%20set%202.jpg

belly%201.jpg

NAV-PAC%20and%20AIM%20B.jpg

• Like 41

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Love it, the Skyray is such a classy looking jet!

Here are a couple from my most recent US trip

32197049257_d43e07a261_b.jpgOver view by tony_inkster, on Flickr

44919553495_8574dfe0a3_k.jpgIMG_6825 by tony_inkster, on Flickr

I really like the photos!  Lol, they made me glance at a map to see how far I am from Pensacola.  Not that far...🙂  Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, Harold55 said:

Very nicely done and great photography too.  Thanks for the write with some of the history on the plane, I appreciate it and it is very interesting.

Thanks so much, and you're welcome too! 

1 hour ago, Des said:

excellent job and great idea for the photographic background.

Thanks Des!   It was thoughtful of the city to provide me another hangar to use for a background. 😉

1 hour ago, Vultures1 said:

Great-looking Skyray and a very nice background too - well done!

Thanks Vultures!   Much appreciated! 🍺

3 hours ago, Roberto said:

Beautiful Marines bird, I like your work.

Thank you Roberto!   Glad you liked her!

2 hours ago, Robert_ said:

What a lovely build, it turned out great. Thanks for the write up as well, I knew very little about this aircraft and found that very useful. Cheers

My pleasure Robert!  Thanks for the kind words too!

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Always liked the look of the Skyray and yours is definitely a good looking one. :yahoo:... Im planning one for later this year in VF-74 markings. 

Thanky much!  I'm looking forward to seeing another one built; get busy!! 😀

44 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Awesome 

Thanks! 🙂

• Like 1

Now, that's what I call a classic weenie cooker! Super model! Planning my 3rd visit to the museum this summer- it's only a 10-hour drive from me. I also liked your choice of ordnance load, too.

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Now, that's what I call a classic weenie cooker! Super model! Planning my 3rd visit to the museum this summer- it's only a 10-hour drive from me. I also liked your choice of ordnance load, too.

Mike

Thank you Mike!  I appreciate that you commented on my Skyray.  Yeah, I figured about 8 hours from here so 10 from SA sounds right.  I'd sure like to visit that museum some day.   Have you ever heard of the Cavanaugh Flight Museum up in Addison?   They have a great collection there and it's certainly worth a trip to Dallas.  Thanks again!🍺

https://cavflight.org

Gary,

It's on my list! I have a college classmate, longtime friend, and fellow model builder that lives in Ft. Worth, so the next time I visit him, we plan to go. Big D is only a 4-5 hour drive from San Antonio. Used to be four hours or less, but the truck traffic on it now  is pretty insane. IIRC, they have the only flyable A-26A  (B-26K) Counter Invader in their collection- 'Special K' I would love to take walk around photos of her! Now you need to do an F3H and F7U to go with your Ford!

Mike

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Gary,

It's on my list! I have a college classmate, longtime friend, and fellow model builder that lives in Ft. Worth, so the next time I visit him, we plan to go. Big D is only a 4-5 hour drive from San Antonio. Used to be four hours or less, but the truck traffic on it now  is pretty insane. IIRC, they have the only flyable A-26A  (B-26K) Counter Invader in their collection- 'Special K' I would love to take walk around photos of her! Now you need to do an F3H and F7U to go with your Ford!

Mike

When I visited Cavanaugh, their F-105 and MiG-21 were parked near one another, with a MiG-17 as well.  I thought they had a fine collection overall. 

I do have the HobbyBoss Demon in my stash and was just looking at Hobbycraft F7Us on Ebay.  Eeegads, but they've sure proud of those!  I'd love a new tooling of the "Gutless Cutlass" and F-11 Tiger in 1/48.  Maybe there has been a recent version of the Tiger, I just don't recall.   I have the old Grand Phoenix kit of the FJ-4 Fury, with scads of aftermarket, bought off the consignment table at King's Hobby in Austin.   It looks like quite a challenge, and I'm in no hurry to take that one on yet. 😀

1 hour ago, Gary Brantley said:

bought off the consignment table at King's Hobby in Austin.  

I hope Rudy gave you a good deal! Don't get to see the guys at King's very often- just when we go to the Austin club's annual contest in October.

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stephen8718 said:

great work on the Skyray. its a weird looking aircraft . i have that kit in my stash and i hope i do a good a job as you did on yours.

Thanks stephen!  You're too kind dude, but please don't stop! 😉 Seriously,  many thanks for the comment!🍺

Very smart, clean build Gary. I too love the jets from that era and the Skyway was a fascinating and beautiful aircraft.

Cheers

Malcolm

20 hours ago, 72modeler said:

I hope Rudy gave you a good deal! Don't get to see the guys at King's very often- just when we go to the Austin club's annual contest in October.

Mike

😁 Rudy and his staff are great folks!  I've been going by there since 1989 and always enjoy shopping with them.  They do usually have a nice selection of kits and supplies and a well-stocked consignment table.   It's a great hobby shop! 

5 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very smart, clean build Gary. I too love the jets from that era and the Skyway was a fascinating and beautiful aircraft.

Cheers

Malcolm

Thanks so much Malcolm!   It was a cool era of flight; "anything goes" must've been the design/engineering slogan in those days.😉 Thanks again sir!

• 2 months later...

Hello Gary,

Very impressive build and presentation.

In first instance I thought I was looking to the real aircraft.

You did put a lot of effort into this all, but take it from me, it was worth it.

Regards, Orion

• Like 1

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Fantastic rendition of the Ford, Gary :thumbsup:  And I love those pics :clap: :clap: 

Ciao

Grazie giemme!   😀  I so appreciate your comments man! 

Glad you liked the Ford.🍷

5 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Gary,

Very impressive build and presentation.

In first instance I thought I was looking to the real aircraft.

You did put a lot of effort into this all, but take it from me, it was worth it.

Regards, Orion

Hi Orion.  Thank you very much! Your kind words are really appreciated; I'm happy that you enjoyed my Ford! 🍺

• Like 1