A bright star in the sky! Hasegawa/Italeri YF-104A Starfighter 55-2969 GE Engine Test Fleet 1/72

8 hours ago, ArmouredSprue said:

Fantastic job mate. Very nice!

3 hours ago, Rod bettencourt said:

Very cool!! Thanks for sharing.

Rod

Thanks chaps.

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Martin ... If i may a quick question. Im going to be using MM Int'l red soon on a model. Any tips ? Did you use a base coat ? 

Hi Dennis,

Certainly. I use a matt white base coat. I don't worry too much if it isn't consistent and even, just as long as it gives a reasonable, regular finish. Keeping a thin coat is key as the MM can get thick if you get carried away. After letting that cure I apply very thin coats of the ModelMaster Red or Orange. Build it up gradually. Make sure your model and surrouding area is as clean as possible because dust shows through very easily, but then that is the same for all of these dayglo paints. Make your own judgement about when you've applied enough. As I said earlier, you can get carried away and apply too much. REmember, also, that such paints wore quickly in sunlight and in the friction of flight, so you can - if it is your style - leave a little variation of finish. To thin thee MM I use artists Distilled Turpentine. 

Beware that I had lifting issues this time. I got impatient, I think, and tried to remove the masking too early. That then meant some reparation - not easy on dayglo finishes. Patience is the key, I think. For me, though, the MM fluorescents are the best.

Does that help?

Martin

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomthounaojam said:

Museum quality, Sir, Thank you for sharing

Thanks Tom. I'm humbled by your comments. I'm not so sure about museum but certainly she came out well :).

Martin

4 hours ago, Pinback said:

Wow! What a great choice of scheme :)

You must be well pleased with the result

Thanks mate. Yes, I love the scheme. It varied over time and so, as I said, it is a compromise. In fact I have since found images of her sistership which had similar colours but in different patterns. More scope for modelling! ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

Lovely model, and awesome finish.

I love the photo of the GE test fleet. Wouldn't mind having a crack at the B-66 some time. But that Caravelle looks like they've installed the engines backwards!

Hi Martin, stunning Starfighter, what colour did you use on the underside of the wings.  On NM or ADC grey airframes with white upper wings I have read that the undersides could be white, NM or light grey.  What did your research show?     Confused from Yorkshire.  :hypnotised:

Absolutely beautiful. One of the best looking F-104 models I've ever seen. Thanks for the history. What is i-f-s? Is there a book or a source for more photos of these GE birds?

Edited by Hobo

14 hours ago, zebra said:

Lovely model, and awesome finish.

I love the photo of the GE test fleet. Wouldn't mind having a crack at the B-66 some time. But that Caravelle looks like they've installed the engines backwards!

Thanks mate. Yes, that B-66 looks interesting :). Not sure what the large airliner-type engine is.

Edited by RidgeRunner

On 5/30/2019 at 2:22 AM, Hobo said:

Absolutely beautiful. One of the best looking F-104 models I've ever seen. Thanks for the history. What is i-f-s? Is there a book or a source for more photos of these GE birds?

How about this @Hobo

56-0763 hangar

:)

@quangster does this help with your T-38 interest?

Added a further image today @quangster and @Hobo. The T-38 is now at the California Science Center.

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Hi Martin, stunning Starfighter, what colour did you use on the underside of the wings.  On NM or ADC grey airframes with white upper wings I have read that the undersides could be white, NM or light grey.  What did your research show?     Confused from Yorkshire.  :hypnotised:

This machine had natural metal. You are right, the production machines had ADC Gray Under white wings? The XF-104s were natural metal.

Martin

• Thanks 1

Thats an absolutely stunning Starfighter Martin, don't know how I missed this one. The finish is excellent and it is one of the best 1/72 F-104's I have seen. That Italeri kit looks like its worth having.

Well done indeed.

Terry

On 5/30/2019 at 9:56 PM, Stromness said:

I‘ll just refrain from going hyperbole and limit myself to an austere „magnificent“!😎

Thanks, @Stromness

11 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Thats an absolutely stunning Starfighter Martin, don't know how I missed this one. The finish is excellent and it is one of the best 1/72 F-104's I have seen. That Italeri kit looks like its worth having.

Well done indeed.

Terry

@Terry1954 Thank you, Terry. The Italeri kit is not the better of the two. Overall the Hasegawa is superior in just about everyway. Where it wins is in the detail on the wings. To use them you need to modify the location tabs and add strips on the wing tips to take the Hasegawa Tip tanks. The Italeri's are wrong completely and the pylons are too deep. I used the Italeri otherwise just for the fin/rudder. Everything else is the Hasegawa kit or a little aftermarket. The Italeri, of course, has a noticably overblown canopy. If you can get a stock of the Hasegawas from Japan it is worth doing. I got some dirt cheap with minimal postage costs. 

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 8:00 AM, RidgeRunner said:

The Italeri kit is not the better of the two. Overall the Hasegawa is superior in just about everyway. Where it wins is in the detail on the wings. To use them you need to modify the location tabs and add strips on the wing tips to take the Hasegawa Tip tanks. The Italeri's are wrong completely and the pylons are too deep. I used the Italeri otherwise just for the fin/rudder. Everything else is the Hasegawa kit or a little aftermarket. The Italeri, of course, has a noticably overblown canopy. If you can get a stock of the Hasegawas from Japan it is worth doing.

Thanks for the heads up Martin!

Terry

• 1 month later...

Quite spectacular and beautifully executed and finished. 

Never seen this subject before - got to be one of the most interesting and best looking schemes on a Starfighter

Bravo!

ATB
Rick

• Thanks 1