A bright star in the sky! Hasegawa/Italeri YF-104A Starfighter 55-2969 GE Engine Test Fleet 1/72

Well Martin,

Certainly one of the most colorful starfighters out there,  Yours may be more colorful than Laven's F-104C, at least as far are BRIGHTNESS goes!

Ed

22 hours ago, spaddad said:

0rsum

17 hours ago, Mark22 said:

Great looking Starfighter. Excellent build and a very nice paint scheme. 

Thanks both.

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Martin,

Just now saw the RIF....incredible model, and I think it's your best one so far. Glad you persevered and saved the windscreen. If the Italeri donor kit is indeed the Esci kit re-boxed, then I echo what Giorgio said about your using the best bits to make a very accurate F-104, as I have always thought the Esci F-104's were pretty darned good, with just the shape of the canopy being the biggest disappointment. Now, my friend, when are you going to do the T-38, F-102A and the F4H-1 and make the diorama? 👍

Mike

Thanks Mike. I will others to do more of the fleet. Agreed, the Esci/Italeri has its issues. This Hasegawa is excellent in every way. The Italeri does beat it on the wing detail. I was tempted to use a Revell. I’m glad I didn’t. It is inaccurate in some dimensions.

12 hours ago, Kampartiger said:

Can't help myself from getting over excited when I saw your YF-104.It looked so resplendent with the various combination of colours being painted on it.It's got to be one of the most attractive Starfighter ever flown.Simply superb.

Thanks mate. The good thing about Starfighters is the choice of possible schemes.

11 hours ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

One of the best-looking F-104 models that I've seen on BM.

Thanks AD. That means a lot to me

11 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Lovely. Starfighters sometimes carried very striking colours.

11 hours ago, mirageiv said:

Beautiful model Martin, you absolutely nailed it! 

David

Much appreciated ;)

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Once my eyeballs stopped bleeding  ;) , I could see it is a joy to behold. :) A stunning scheme Martin & an equally stunning job on it, interesting too, I know very little about the Q birds.

Steve.

I hope they’ve cooled down a bit now, Steve. The Q machines were very colourful ;).

9 hours ago, John R said:

Nice work! Makes my YF-104A look positively drab. I certainly do not have the patience (or skill?)  to do a scheme like that.

John

Thanks John. I’m certain you do! From what I’ve seen of your work you have ample. ;). We all have differing skills and interests. That what makes this all so interesting :)

2 hours ago, scottyphbeta said:

Excellent looking kit, really great work!

Thanks Scotty ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

1 hour ago, TheRealMrEd said:

Well Martin,

Certainly one of the most colorful starfighters out there,  Yours may be more colorful than Laven's F-104C, at least as far are BRIGHTNESS goes!

Ed

Thanks Ed. As I said, the Papilio fixer worked a treat! Brightness? We’ll just hang on for the next Voodoo ;)

Martin

Damn, I just realised that I didn't delete the rear nav light housing on the tailplane. I'll have to correct that - should be easy enough to do ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner

6 hours ago, Habu12 said:

Fantastic! But uh...International Red? In TMM? Never seen or heard of it. Don’t you mean International Orange?🤷🏼‍♂️

To be honest various images show different colours. Some quite red, some more orange. I took the middle ground. Having found more images last night of the GE fleet I'm happy with the red.  It is Testor Model Master International (Fluorescent) Red (1775DE).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, basket said:

Original and superbely executed !

17 hours ago, sig226 said:

that looks amazing mate , well done indeed !

Thanks both. Much appreciated. 

Martin

4 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

The best Starfighter I ever seen - wonderful work, Martin! The NMF looks fantastic, the subtle (Martin-style) weathering is also excellent. Congratulations!🎈

Thanks Nikolay. Yes, I let the washes do as they want naturally. Real aircraft have many variations, some panel lines showign more than others. Some not a all. The washes also give a light shading along some lines, which I like. Each to their own, I know,

Martin 

Another lovely build there  A fascinating period and a good hunting ground for colourful subjects.  Lastly, that KB50 is really nice. Thank you again for sharing your models with us 

Keith

1 hour ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

Just stunning work - great conversion/cut'n'blend skills and a stunning scheme beautifully rendered.

Just stunning work - great conversion/cut'n'blend skills and a stunning scheme beautifully rendered.

Thanks HG.

She has a few errors but overall I am very pleased with her. As others on BM will know, I like the unusual and shy away from the mud moving, gun toting machinery. I generally don't arm my models, merely adding the rails or pylons and little else, unless it is integral. I prefer subjects that you don't often see. ;).

The blending of the Italeri fin/rudder preseted a few issues and if I do it again I'd think the Italeri part a little in the inner faces first. On this one  it ws too late and so I had to adapt the Hasegawa fin. The Italeri wings fit beautifully once the locating tabs are trimmed correctly. You certainly get more detail because, oddly, the Hasegawa is underdetailed in this area. 

Martin

14 hours ago, Britman said:

Another lovely build there  A fascinating period and a good hunting ground for colourful subjects.  Lastly, that KB50 is really nice. Thank you again for sharing your models with us 

Keith

Thank you, Keith. As I've said before, I try to find unusual subjects, whether it is the aircraft type, operator or colour scheme. This clearly fits the last category ;). Everything has its place, of course. I'm pleased this finds pleasure amongst the forum membership. Onwards to the next! :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

To be honest various images show different colours. Some quite red, some more orange. I took the middle ground. Having found more images last night of the GE fleet I'm happy with the red.  It is Testor Model Master International (Fluorescent) Red (1775DE).

Martin

Oh yeah the colors looks great. And there is a fluorescent red, FS28913. 👍🏼

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's a real stunner Martin,first class finish on her and a great scheme!

Thanks Steve. I'm not realy so good on weathering, sticking to a panel wash and a few swipes with a Tamiya Weathering stick. Even so, she scrubs okay, doesn't she! :). I had a lot of lifting MM paint, which gave me more than one headache! 

Martin