Is there a complete list of Modeldecal subjects?

David Womby

I know many Modeldecal sheets are fully described on Hannants site but there are a lot of out of print ones not listed there. 

There is a good searchable index of Scale Aircraft Modelling magazine issues up to Volume 22 here: http://www.rquirk.com/smindx.html and I believe a larger index  is available elsewhere for a fee. Is there anything similar for Modeldecal sheets that list details of each sheet's contents?

David

Most of the old Scale Aircraft Modelling mags from the eighties had a full page advertisement that showed a good list of available Modeldecal sheets. Naturally there were some gaps with the earlier numbers but overall it was a pretty comprehensive list. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 2

Yes, Dave, and I have examples of that but I am hoping for a searchable (by computer search not my Mk1 eyeball) list.🙂

David

• Like 1

I agree David. I do like putting lists together, however I feel that a Modeldecal list would take an age to compile - time best served hacking away at plastic. 

Cheers.. Dave 

I have a complete Word-doc list by sheet number with year of issue and brief but not exhaustive description of contents by aircraft type and units which was made to catalogue my own collection , happy to pass it on if you pm an e-mail address to send it to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Talking of Modeldecal sheets. Does anyone know if it is technically possible for the long out of print sheets to be reintroduced? I have no idea how they were created and the 'masters' saved, if that's the correct term. It would be great to see their two Vulcan sheets available again.

I have always considered Modeldecal sheets to be the pinnacle of decals, with their perfect blend of subjects, background information and user friendly layout of sheets and instructions, as well as cramming more material on each sheet than many current examples.

While more modern decals have clearly improved on the decal quality itself, Modeldecal decals are tough as old boots and last decades. They are amazingly good value too.

I asked David Hannant that very question a few years back.  The short answer is "no".  I can't remember the ins and outs: perhaps it was that the artwork no longer exists or that they were produced using technology incompatible with modern transfer printing techniques

Modeldecals were screenprinted as well with hand mixed inks, and one of the issues with modern reprints is the colours are different, as they have to use standard pantone colours. have a look at an original Modeldecal roundel sheet alongside one of the ones hannants reprinted and the shade of blue in particular is quite different

5 hours ago, Timbo88 said:

Talking of Modeldecal sheets. Does anyone know if it is technically possible for the long out of print sheets to be reintroduced? I have no idea how they were created and the 'masters' saved, if that's the correct term. It would be great to see their two Vulcan sheets available again.

I have always considered Modeldecal sheets to be the pinnacle of decals, with their perfect blend of subjects, background information and user friendly layout of sheets and instructions, as well as cramming more material on each sheet than many current examples.

While more modern decals have clearly improved on the decal quality itself, Modeldecal decals are tough as old boots and last decades. They are amazingly good value too.

I may have the Vulcan sheets spare but I cannot check until Nov 1.  If interested, please PM me then.

David

22 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Modeldecals were screenprinted as well with hand mixed inks, and one of the issues with modern reprints is the colours are different, as they have to use standard pantone colours. have a look at an original Modeldecal roundel sheet alongside one of the ones hannants reprinted and the shade of blue in particular is quite different

Thanks for that interesting information. I guess comparing Modeldecal to modern sheets is like comparing analogue to digital. Such a shame, as I bet there would be a market for contemporary Modeldecal style sheets. Hannants are clearly making money from selling the original examples.