Cyber Hobby / Dragon Sean Vixen FAW.2

I've dug the next kit out of the stash ready for when I've finished the current one (like you do). As the current one is the Revell Victor I thought I'd go for something that fits together properly as any more sanding will endanger my health.

I’ll be doing the Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen FAW.2. I’ve got an aftermarket nose cone and some proper sized ejection seats.

Has anyone tackled one of these recently or has anyone got any built photos?

Built the Mk 1 a few years ago. A very nice kit that assembled very well. Not afflicted by the gross shape errors which are so characteristic of Dragon. Aftermarket nose is a real necessity (the Dragon shape changer got loose for a moment there). I think the Aires one better captures the subtle curves of the Sea Vixen nose. The other necessity is a full resin cockpit, such as Pavla’s. Aside from having two seats, the Dragon cockpit bears no resemblance to that of a Sea Vixen. Just new seats won’t save it. With those two additions a really nice model is possible from this well fitting kit. Some day i’ll Figure out how to post pictures on here but that’s my word picture for what it is worth.

I have one at the ready for primer stage.  I only replaced the nose and seats as well.  Builds up well enough but have heard rumblings that the tail booms may be too long.

Looks like a Vixen to me though.

Harry - link to my FAW1 below. Actually I think this does have serious shape errors particularly around the cockpit area and the decking over the engines, plus the booms being nearly 1cm too long, but it does build very nicely.

Pat

It does have major shape issues in the forward fuselage and booms area. 

The Highplanes kit is the most accurate, but also the hardest to build.  Even the Frog kit is more accurate, but needs minor correcting for length at the radome.

Personally I can't see past the shape issues so I go with building the hardest kits!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

Personally I can't see past the shape issues so I go with building the hardest kits! 

I have the Cyber Hobby kit.

If an accurate Vixen is a must-have in 1/72nd, I'm afraid that the best route to get there is cross-kitting the Highplanes with other existing kits, as even the Highplanes has it's own issues... the pinion tanks and rear booms being a bit too chunky.  Reference my build here:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1741&p=34919&hilit=frankenvixen#p34919

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/72nd_aircraft/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=6420&p=41207&hilit=frankenvixen#p41207

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pat C said:

And it’s not as if the High Planes kit is an easy build in the first place!!!!!

C'mon, Airfix- quit stalling and do either version, or better yet, both; you will make a ton of money, and it's not like you don't have a couple of original airframes on that side of the pond to scan, measure, photograph, and fondle to your heart's content. T'would have been better if Platz or Meng had done the kit, instead of Cyber Hobby, but I guess we can be thankful they tried. I have the kit and a Frog one, which I'm not unloading just yet... she's kinda the F7U Cutlass of hooked golden age multi=engined interceptors! I wouldn't mind a new-tool Scimitar, either, to go with my F3H's! (Hope none of my U.S. modeling mates see this post, or they're going to tar and feather me!) Please forgive this slightly off-topic post, Mike!

Mike

• Like 2