Lancaster BII FN 64 ventral turret. Fitted or not ?

cherisy

I wonder if anyone here can give me a definitive answer on whether Lancaster BII "Fanny Firkin II" of 514 sqn was ever fitted with the ventral turret as depicted in the Airfix kit ?. The photos I have found of her at Deenthorpe in May 44 suggest not. So where did Airfix get their info from . Could it possibly have been fitted earlier and then removed and if so was the turret fairing left in place?

Hi @cherisy

don't know if these are the photos you refer to in the post, above? http://axis-and-allies-paintworks.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?423

Lancaster Mk.II DS842, according to the book "The AVRO Lancaster" by Francis K. Mason was transfered from 514Sqn to 1664 OCU after her last raid on Duisburg 21/22-5-44. Aircraft SOC 20-3-45.

But I can't figure out if the ventral turret is fitted or not, because of a prop blade! Have a feeling this has been discussed before, the outcome being while most ventral turrets were removed, but fairings left in place, think there was talk of a hand held machine gun, with the operator lying prone in the rear fuselage?

Sorry can't be more help.

Paul

• Thanks 1