Spitfire Mk.1a - Airfix 1/72 Scale

Longtime reader but first time posting here, this is my first finished model in about 20 years, Airfix's Spitfire Mk.1a A01071B from 92 Squadron, France 1940 . This is also my first attempt at airbrushing, masking or varnishing anything so it was quite the learning experience for me but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out in the end, certainly better than my attempts with enamel paints and brushes all those years ago.

Kit went together mostly OK but had a little trouble getting the fuselage to fit into the assembled wings, the canopy was also a poor fit, I did trim the back of the cockpit a little but still couldn't get it to fit perfectly. As I mentioned, first time airbrushing and masking, the green went on a little thick in places so you see some ridges, particularly where the line passes under decals. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to smooth this out somehow without having to respray everything so decided to leave it and just try to improve on it next time. The decals, particularly the lettering and red squares on the leading edge of the wings were a bit of a nightmare at times but I think they came out OK. In the end I decided not to attempt weathering or panel line washes on this as I just wanted to get something finished but perhaps I'll try that on my next model.

Enjoyed the process a lot, nice to do something that doesn't involve a computer screen for once, now I just need to find somewhere suitably safe to put it...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 37

Very well done for a first build - much better than I imagine most first builds I'd say!

One little thing to try with your next build is sanding and filling seams to remove them like where the two fuselage sides join. Not difficult to do and it makes a big difference.

For decals, a little Micro Sol painted onto the decal with a brush helps them bed down and conform to detail underneath.

Great job and you should be mighty proud of yourself!

Edited by Smithy
Typo
  • Like 3

For a first time airbrushing that is outstandingly good.  Nice, crisp paintwork and the decals settled down very nicely.  I like this rather unusual, interim, scheme.  I agree with Smithy.  Just rub down those seams and you've got something really terrific.

• Like 1

I have to agree with the guys above - that is a cracking good build.  I have been playing with a few of these kits recently and that frontal seam along the top engine cowling is a pig to get rid of.  Also the canopy fit is a little awkward - so you have done a great job.

So - what are you going to make next...

Steve 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments and feedback 😀

As for what's next... well as much as I'd like to buy some of the lovely kits available online I do have an Airfix 'Victoria Cross Icons' set someone bought me a while back sitting in the corner, so I suppose I should do some of that before buying more. From what I can see these are all pretty old kits so I may just have a go at the Blenheim Mk IV or one of the others, I imagine I'll get plenty of practice filling and sanding at least.

Edited by Qel
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Qel said:

In the end I decided not to attempt weathering or panel line washes on this as I just wanted to get something finished but perhaps I'll try that on my next model.

Welcome back... thats really well done for a comeback build. I have to point this out thus the quote. You've figured out one of the most important steps to model building. Not to try it all at once, do one thing at a time. You will learn more quickly and be less frustrated in the end.

Dennis 

• Like 1

Welcome back. Nice result for your first time with an airbrush. My first attempts all ended as an ugly grainy finish ... and leakage under the tape.

Well done.

I can only echo what the others have said- considering all the "firsts" involved in this build, you did a great job, and that's a pretty darned smooth finish for your first airbrushed model! Your fit issue with the fuselage and the wing roots is very a very frequently encountered one, especially with kits like this that have a one-piece lower wing.  I don't recall if this Airfix Spit kit has the fit of the wings to the fuselage either too tight or too loose, but many times if you dry fit the completed wing assembly to the fuselage, you can see if you need to sand back the wing fillets on the fuselage if the fit is too tight, or make a spacer or two below the cockpit tub out of leftover sprue to spread the fuselage a bit if the fit is too loose. (Just keep an eye out to make sure the dihedral is correct!) You have come to the right place, as this is the BEST website to learn from others and to get answers to questions.  Betcha you will find your next model is even better!

Mike

Nice work, well done. I've built a few of these Spits and I found you get a better fit if you attach the upper wings to the fuselage first. When dry attach the lower section. You may need to clean up a little around the edges but it makes for a much better wing root join. This has never let me down. Well, almost never. Ok, there was one occassion where it didn't work but apart from that . . .

• 2 years later...

Hi I'm building the same kit too, doing decals now. some decals are overlapped, so I was wondering which one should be on top, for example on the underside wing roundel, I see you've put the roundels first. Is that the way they did it in real life? thanks

On 5/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, Qel said:

Thanks for the comments and feedback 😀

As for what's next... well as much as I'd like to buy some of the lovely kits available online I do have an Airfix 'Victoria Cross Icons' set someone bought me a while back sitting in the corner, so I suppose I should do some of that before buying more. From what I can see these are all pretty old kits so I may just have a go at the Blenheim Mk IV or one of the others, I imagine I'll get plenty of practice filling and sanding at least.

I like your Spitfire very much.

All has been said on how you can improve your next build a lot, with minimum fuss.

From what you are saying, you are one of the very few of us blessed with an absence of stash... Brother, for your own peace of mind, strive to keep it that way!

And do not ever tell me that I never warned you...

Great show on your first kit after all these years!

JR

Lovely crisp clean build; lovely surface details and nothing out of place! I made one of these last year, big difference from the older Airfix Spitfire, mine was from 71 sqdn, RAF Eagle sqdn. Very nice clean job!😀👍