3 Airfix 1/48 Bf109s

Second time I've done this! Absolutely love doing it. It's a great way to get through the stash quickly to justify buying so many new kits :D

Taking photos for update now

Update time: 

Also thought I'd throw in the link to my first 1/48 Bf109 build: 

spacer.pngSo here's half way through last night's build session. All have their wings, cowling is on one (I'm glueing these ones down as the engine is lacking in detail). Control surfaces were being attached to the left one (this one is the injury one that the rudder will be attached to before painting as the other two will have yellow rudders), all three will be modelled with flaps and slats raised, elevators in a neutral position, gear down, no pilot, and canopy closed.

spacer.png

Like an absolute plank I opened up the slot for the cannon bulges, but this one won't be equipped with them.... Filler it is.... The bit of the leading edge for the guns is problematic on this kit (it was on my previous build as well), so filler is needed there as well. 

I opened a new tube of filler (Vulcan is taking a lot of it) it seems to be more acetone that actual filler.... Never had that happen before 😕

spacer.png

This one will be painted as a Bf109E-4/N Trop of JG27. It's the box art scheme from that version of the kit. I just need to not forget to attach the cannon bulges.... The other one in light grey plastic will be the B scheme from that box. The yellow-grey plastic one will be the C scheme from the first version of the kit

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this is where I'm up to now. All have their wings sorted (minus the Trop's cannon bulges). The horizontal stabilisers and their struts will be attached after painting to simplify masking, but they will be dry fitted first to minimise any damage to the paint.

Next step is to mask and attach the canopies, then beginning to lay down some paint. Also needing to be done are the bombs and external fuel tanks that are being used and the props and spinners (I'll be painting the propeller assemblies before glueing them together as the masking gets a little complex if I don't). I don't know how much time in going to have in the next few weeks to spare for building these as I have exams restarting on Monday.

• Like 2

Well I dropped a canopy part....

I stood up to look for it....

I couldn't see it....

I took a step backward....

Crunch

I had stepped on a pen and the part was under my desk chair

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

spacer.png

Finally the masking is complete! You don't realise how much you hate masking until you do something this tedious....

spacer.png

I cracked a canopy... Thankfully my first build of this kit a few months ago used the other style of canopy in the kit, so I had a spare.

Now I need to do the armour plates for the canopies, all three aircraft had them.

And attach those cannon bulges.....

Once I've done that I don't know if I'm going to continue with these as parallel builds or paint one at a time, only doing the common things together, as the paint schemes are wildly different on each aircraft.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Update time:

So I did some painting. I did two models' Vallejo RLM 65 undersides together, and the third had the yellow painted and masked off first before I panted the underside. All were primed with Citadel Corax White (keep away from masking tape, it loves to find its way under no matter how well masked the part is), and I used a black sharpie to go over panel lines, I find this works well enough for me.

Here is one after its RLM 65:

66d31111dc8fd7f5162867ed0e37d742.jpg

Canopies were added next, and not primed. I find that if primer seeps under the masking it will be almost impossible to fix- I have a 1/48 Hurricane on the shelf that this happened to. I sprayed them with RLM65 because I needed to do another coat of that anyway, then painted over them with black so that the paint will actually be fairly opaque without primer. 

b6ff6809729d4fd3bd48da0669749a6b.jpg

Oops another update:

This one will be painted in RLM 74/75 splinter camo over RLM 65, and has some interesting patterns on the fuselage sides of blotches of RLM 65 with RLM 02 over them. At this point she is masked off for the darker RLM 74. I did not pre paint the nose in yellow as the painting instructions say it should be faded, showing the camouflage pattern underneath through. 

c36c77e8c65628eb927ca83927e84f14.jpg

This is after the RLM 74 was applied, and I really like that colour combination! I demasked the RLM 75, because I want any overspray (which it looks like there might have been looking the painting instructions) to apply to the RLM 74 and RLM 75 equally. I left the RLM 04 masked though, as this should be clean. RLM 65 blotches were applied with a fairly low pressure and careful freehand application.

858b818d95fe204e126e07ab535c9e5d.jpg

RLM 02 was applied like the RLM 65, just in a smaller area over the RLM 65. 

4fa6631e9f916e02032f0748024d51f8.jpg

Next it was on to applying the RLM 04 yellow to the nose. It is an unappealing shade thanks to the colours underneath, but I'm happy with the result.

d9bf66790fbbaa3ac19edd3e762150a3.jpg

And here's another angle. That yellow will need touching up a bit..... some of the masking wasn't quite right.

5eebce2ab94cccbfa7b2fa0479326596.jpg

I plan on bringing each model to this stage soon. Exams are about to finish (final one tomorrow), so I am about to have a lot of time on my hands to crack on.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So here's a thread that I forgot to update.....

This one has recieved its splinter camouflage, and has been given the crisscross pattern since this photo was taken (after only 3 attempts). It's not a nice neat pattern unfortunately so it was a job for freehand airbrushing.

29ac405ed425c3a33fcb4cc051fdeee9.jpg

And now black 3, the first of the kits here that I bought (although the third one with all the yellow uses the same kit's decals). And that awful preshade method.... What was I thinking? Just crack out the airbrush and preshade properly @ past me..... Worked fine on the wings, but not on the fuselage. Looking forward to having this one done in the far far future.

922f03f8842cfbce38ec6373dfefd90d.jpg

This one is actually finished now! Here it is a few months ago about to have the tailplane done and the spinner built.

20a9bee668f78e459e1deeeb4018b7e9.jpg

Ready for the decals and landing gear

5e53b580b224aa4a396f94ecbd0c0944.jpg

Would you look at that, suddenly  almost finished! I will get better photos tomorrow.

bfe7ab8c38be6b8392a95b58a35905fd.jpg

Thought I'd put up a picture of my first 1/48 Bf109, if anyone wants a link to the RFI just ask

2240245a496a61f5db35f3457305d0fb.jpg

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Been an interesting build log to follow! After being unusually productive over the weekend i decided to bring all the stash out from the loft and get it under the desk so i know what i have already got.

Now ive realized i have enough kits to last me around 2 decades at my current production rate!  I hope to run a parallel production factory on a couple of my German twin engined planes, as i can see how it can save time doing all the same colored parts (wheels, interiors, engines etc) 

Looks like it all worked out to some nice builds for you! How did you find the transition from 1/72 to 1/48?  in terms of the build length, model complexity, and weathering/painting? 

• Like 1

I'm back to 1/72 again mainly. I lost motivation on these kits. Probably because I improved a lot since I started these and there's a lot of below what I consider a good standard on them (Thar preshade with a pen for example) I build the occasional 1/48 still though. 

• Like 1